CPL

Bravo leaving Knight Riders for Tridents

By Sports Desk May 21, 2019
Dwayne Bravo. Dwayne Bravo.

Veteran Windies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo will leave the Trinbago Knight Riders for the Barbados Tridents ahead of the 2019 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

According to reports, the 35-year-old former franchise captain will leave the club after five seasons to become the top pick for the Tridents in the CPL draft on Wednesday.  The Barbadian franchise is accepted to sign the T&T-born player for US$160,000.

Bravo, who won three titles in the CPL titles in the red gear of T&T, made the announcement via social media on Tuesday.  Two weeks ago it was announced that Kieron Pollard, who spent several years with the Barbados Tridents, before moving to St Kitts and Nevis Patriots last year.  The Tridents are now owned by the USA-based CMG Companies (CMG) leads a team of local and international investors in the acquisition of the cricket franchise in Barbados. 

The Trinbago Knight Riders captured the team’s third title last year, while the Tridents had their worse ever showing finishing bottom of the table, having won two and lost eight of their 10 games played.

Related items

  • Ashes 2019: Steve Smith ruled out of third Test following concussion Ashes 2019: Steve Smith ruled out of third Test following concussion

    Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Ashes Test between Australia and England following his concussion at Lord's, coach Justin Langer has confirmed.

    Talismanic batsman Smith was struck on the neck by a Jofra Archer bouncher on day four on Saturday and retired hurt before later returning to resume his innings.

    The in-form Smith, who made centuries in each innings of the first Test at Edgbaston, did not play at all on day five, though, after suffering with delayed concussion.

    Marnus Labuschagne was called in as a concussion substitute and made a brilliant 59 as the tourists battled to a draw to maintain their 1-0 series lead.

    Smith said he was "hopeful" he would recover to feature at Headingley, but any hopes of participation in Leeds were ended by Langer on Tuesday.

    The 30-year-old missed training with the rest of his Australia team-mates before the news was confirmed.

    Coach Langer was due to discuss Smith and the upcoming Test with the media later on Tuesday.

    Smith is returning to Test cricket in this series after serving a 12-month ban for his role in the team's ball-tampering scandal in South Africa last year, which also saw him lose his role as captain.

    He has been in sensational form in England, making 144, 142 and 92 from his three Ashes knocks to put Australia ahead in the series prior to his injury.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Steve Smith ruled out of third Ashes Test following concussion BREAKING NEWS: Steve Smith ruled out of third Ashes Test following concussion

    Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Ashes Test between Australia and England following his concussion at Lord's, coach Justin Langer has confirmed.

  • Ashes 2019: Smith 'a lot better' ahead of potential third Test return - Head Ashes 2019: Smith 'a lot better' ahead of potential third Test return - Head

    Travis Head says there is "definitely a chance" Steve Smith will feature in the third Ashes Test at Headingley as he is looking "a lot better".

    The influential Smith retired hurt in the first innings of the second match at Lord's having been struck on the neck by a bouncer from paceman Jofra Archer, only to return later that day.

    However, Smith did not take part at all on day five after suffering with delayed concussion and his status for the contest in Leeds, which starts on Thursday, remains unclear.

    Concussion protocol will see Smith closely monitored, yet Australia colleague Head is encouraged by the star batsman's improvement in recent days.

    Although Head acknowledged "it will probably be taken out of Steve's hands", he believes his team-mate is recovering in good time.

    "There's definitely a chance [of Smith playing]. He's feeling better day by day," Head told talkSPORT. "I know he was a lot better yesterday.

    "He'll have a run around and a light training session [on Tuesday] and that's key. It's not about overloading over these next couple of days. We're keeping him fresh, giving him the best opportunity to play.

    "He doesn't really need a lot of time in the nets. He'll want to, but it's about making sure he's fresh, his mind, brain and everything is fresh. He's got no more signs of that concussion.

    "He's ready to go, he doesn't need any extra preparation. He's been batting beautifully and playing beautifully.

    "I'm sure he doesn't need to do anything over the next couple of days, he can walk straight out and play and get the same results hopefully. Fingers crossed."

    Smith's role in the Australia ball-tampering scandal last year, for which he served a 12-month ban, has seen him jeered by English fans throughout the series so far.

    Head felt the crowd was largely supportive at Lord's and suggested the way the former Test captain has responded to adversity shows him to be among the very best.

    "He showed over the last two weeks how classy he is," Head said of Smith.

    "The booing and whatnot, there wasn't a lot of it at Lord's. The Lord's crowd was fantastic throughout the week. There were little bits and pieces of it.

    "I think the way he went about it showed great character. The way he's played over the last two weeks has been fantastic, under high pressure - high pressure from himself, the importance he puts on himself.

    "I think he's one of the best that has probably played the game and he's showing that at the moment."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.