Eddie Jones has suggested he could pick Jack Nowell at openside flanker and play nine forwards in an alternative approach ahead of England's Six Nations campaign. 

Mark Wood has been called up to the England Test squad for the series against West Indies as a replacement for fellow paceman Olly Stone.

Sri Lanka are hopeful Kusal Mendis will be fit for the first Test against Australia after suffering a finger injury on day one of their tour match in Hobart. 

The batsman felt the force at short leg when Jake Doran played a sweep shot to a Dilruwan Perera delivery during the second session of play. 

Kusal will go for a scan on the ring finger on his right hand on Friday, less than a week before the tourists start a two-match series against Australia at the Gabba. 

Sri Lanka coach Chandika Hathurusingha said: "He can't hold the bat so hopefully in 24 hours' time we'll know more, 

"He was in quite a lot of pain but now he's okay after icing it a couple of times." 

Kurtis Patterson made 157 not out and Doran was unbeaten on 102 as a Cricket Australia XI declared on 316-5, with Sri Lanka 38 without loss at stumps in their opening tour match. 

Hathurusingha was concerned to see Sri Lanka bowl 12 front-foot no balls. 

"It's a big concern. We need to get that right because it's happened to us again," he said. 

"The spinners also bowled no-balls in the England series and we got, I think, three wickets off no-balls so it's a big concern. We need to get it right soon." 

 

Olly Stone will be sent home from England's tour of the West Indies after suffering a stress injury in his lower back.

Mike Brown is desperate for a recall to England's Six Nations squad with the Rugby World Cup on the horizon.

The full-back was dropped during the Test series defeat to South Africa in June and was overlooked by Eddie Jones for the November internationals.

Harlequins stalwart Brown is determined to add to his 72 caps and will discover on Thursday whether he has been selected by Jones.

"Obviously I'm massively disappointed not to be involved, because I'm desperate to play for England." the 33-year-old, speaking on behalf of Land Rover at an off-road driving event, told Omnisport.

"That desperation and commitment never changes, whether you have played loads of times, whether you're in, you're out.

"It's always been the same for me, that goal of playing for England and how much I want to do that. All the hard work that I try and do to achieve that doesn't change and that's no different at the moment.

"I'm out of the team, I just want to get to get back into the squad and put myself in the best possible situation and place for selection."

 

- Mike Brown is a Land Rover ambassador. Land Rover has a heritage in rugby, sharing and understanding the values of the sport. @LandRoverRugby 

Darren Bravo has been recalled to the West Indies squad for the first time since 2016, ahead of the first Test against England.

Bravo has not played Test cricket since 2016, after a post on his Twitter account called Cricket West Indies president Dave Cameron a "big idiot" in a dispute over a contract.

The 29-year-old returned to the ODI side in December and will make his 50th Test appearance in the opening clash with England in Bridgetown on January 23.

Bravo is joined by debutants John Campbell and Shamarh Brooks in the side, while Alzarri Joseph is also back in the fold.

Oshane Thomas has been called up as cover for Joseph, who is making his comeback from injury.

"After a difficult Test series in Bangladesh late last year the opportunity presents itself for our team to pick itself up," said chairman of selectors Courtney Browne. 

"Although a tough series against England is anticipated, home turf has always been a place where our team has made strides.

"With the return of Darren Bravo, who will add value to a batting department, we expect to see marked improvement.

"Young, exciting, fast bowler Alzarri Joseph, who was sidelined by injury, returns to the squad and Shamarh Brooks has been elevated for his solid first-class performances over the last three years.

"John Campbell the incumbent 'A' team opener, who has played first-class cricket for a number of years, will open the batting after a good first-class season in 2018."

 

West Indies squad: Jason Holder (captain), Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Kemar Roach, Jomel Warrican, Oshane Thomas (cover).

Leigh Halfpenny has been included in Wales' Six Nations squad and Thomas Young was also called up on Tuesday.

Halfpenny has not played since suffering concussion against Australia in November and is expected to miss at least the first two games of the competition.

The British and Irish Lions full-back was among the names in Warren Gatland's 39-man squad as he continues his recovery from his latest injury setback.

Young could make his Six Nations debut after he was given the nod along with fellow back-row Josh Turnbull.

Taulupe Faletau misses out after suffering another broken arm on his comeback from the same injury in Bath's win over Wasps last weekend, but Ross Moriarty, Rhys Patchell and Jake Ball were selected.

Jarrod Evans and Jonah Holmes, who made their international bows in November, were also in Gatland's squad.

Wales face France in Paris in the opening match of the tournament on February 1.

 

Wales squad:

Forwards: Rob Evans, Wyn Jones, Nicky Smith, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Ken Owens, Leon Brown, Tomas Francis, Samson Lee, Dillon Lewis, Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Seb Davies, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones (captain), Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Justin Tipuric, Josh Turnbull, Aaron Wainwright, Thomas Young.

Backs: Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Tomos Williams, Gareth Anscombe, Dan Biggar, Jarrod Evans, Rhys Patchell, Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Owen Watkin, Scott Williams, Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Steffan Evans, Leigh Halfpenny, Jonah Holmes, George North, Liam Williams.

Manu Sawhney has been appointed as the new chief executive officer of the International Cricket Council (ICC).

Sawhney - a former CEO of Singapore Sports Hub and managing director of ESPN Star Sports - will join world cricket's governing body next month and succeed David Richardson in July.

Richardson, who has held his position since 2012, confirmed last July that he would step down when his contract expires after the 2019 Cricket World Cup.

ICC chairman Shashank Manohar, who led the process of appointing Richardson's successor, said in a media release: "I am delighted to confirm Manu's appointment. He brings 22 years of outstanding commercial experience to the ICC and will lead the delivery of our new global growth strategy for the game.

"Our search produced a host of excellent candidates from around the world, but Manu stood out as the man to work with our members and take cricket forward.

"He has proven success in a number of leadership roles in both sport and broadcasting. He is a strategic thinker and understands the cricket landscape and its complexities.

"The decision of the nominations committee to recommend Manu to the board was a unanimous one and I and my fellow directors are looking forward to working with him."

Sawhney added: "It is a great privilege and responsibility to serve the global cricket community as CEO of the ICC. The sport has more than a billion fans and an ambitious growth strategy so it is a very exciting time to lead the organisation.

"I’d like to thank the ICC board for giving me this opportunity and look forward to working with them, our members, the team and ICC's incredible partners and cricketers around the world to propel the sport forward into a period of significant and sustained global growth in the coming years."

Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur has backed captain Sarfraz Ahmed despite their Test whitewash at the hands of South Africa. 

Ottis Gibson declared it was "mission accomplished" by South Africa after they completed a Test series whitewash over Pakistan.

Duanne Olivier again played a key role as South Africa completed a 3-0 whitewash of Pakistan with a 107-run victory in the third Test at the Wanderers.

Quinton de Kock expressed his delight at ending a "frustrating" wait for his fourth Test century as he led South Africa towards a whitewash of Pakistan on Sunday.

Quinton de Kock's fourth Test century put South Africa in a strong position to complete a 3-0 Test series sweep over Pakistan, who showed late resilience on day three in their battle to avoid defeat.

Wicketkeeper-batsman De Kock equalled his Test-best score of 129 as the Proteas posted a second-innings total of 303, leaving the tourists a daunting target of 381.

Hashim Amla played his part with a measured 71 off 144 deliveries before being caught behind by wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed, whose involvement in 10 dismissals in a match set a new record for Pakistan.

Dale Steyn struck twice in close proximity to dismiss openers Imam-ul-Haq (35) and Shan Masood (37) and move into the top-10 list of all-time Test wicket takers on 433.

But Azhar Ali (15) was the only other wicket to fall and, while they require another 228, Asad Shafiq (48 not out) and Babar Azam's (17no) partnership led the tourists to 153-3 at the close to retain an outside chance.

After scoring at a run-a-ball rate to make 34 overnight, De Kock was much more measured early on Sunday against a testing Pakistan bowling unit.

Amla's steady work ended when he gloved a Hasan Ali delivery, while Vernon Philander (14) hit three crisp boundaries before being trapped lbw by Mohammad Amir.

De Kock did manage four boundaries before lunch but Mohammad Abbas was smacked for three more as the pace of scoring picked up in the second session.

A few jitters followed as the personal landmark approached before De Kock finally drilled one to the fence to bring up his century. He eventually holed out off Shadab Khan, having hit a solitary six and 18 fours.

Kagiso Rabada (21 off 62) had been a reliable partner but South Africa's innings folded in a hurry, their final three wickets going down for one run.

Steyn made his mark to break Pakistan's opening stand when Imam got a thin edge behind to wicketkeeper De Kock.

A fuming Masood soon followed when technology was needed on a South Africa review for a catch behind, but there was less doubt about Azhar's wicket as he gloved behind a rising delivery from Olivier.

Yet Shafiq, who hit Olivier for three fours in one over to take Pakistan past 100, and Babar rattled along in an unbeaten 49-run stand, giving the visitors a glimmer of hope heading into Monday's play.

Quinton de Kock's fourth Test century put South Africa in a strong position to complete a 3-0 Test series sweep over Pakistan, who showed late resilience on day three in their battle to avoid defeat.

Bath director of rugby Todd Blackadder expects Taulupe Faletau to be fit for Wales' Six Nations campaign and has offered a positive injury update on England's Jonathan Joseph.

Page 1 of 52
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.