IPL

Cottrell never lost confidence after five-6 thrashing - backs KXIP to recover from slow start

By Sports Desk October 03, 2020

West Indies pacer Sheldon Cottrell expressed delight at being able to recover from a stumble to start the current Indian Premier League (IPL) campaign, and backs his team Kings XI Punjab to do the same.

The KL Rahul-led franchise, which also features Chris Gayle, has had a tough start to the new season after winning only one of their first four matches.  In the last fixture, a 48-run loss to Mumbai Indians, Rahul raised eyebrows with his death bowling selection.  Rahul chose K Gowtham to bowl the last over against Mumbai, with the in-form Cottrell left to watch.

Gowtham gave away 25 runs, one of the reasons the Rohit Sharma-led side managed to post a hefty total.

Cottrell had earlier claimed the wicket of Quinton de Kock and conceded just 20 runs in his four overs.  The fast bowler had recovered from a tough outing against Rajasthan Royals',  where Rahul Tewatia smashed 5 sixes off one of his overs during a record run chase. 

Despite the circumstances, Cottrell, however, insisted he remained confident in Rahul’s decisions.

"Honestly, I back my skipper (KL Rahul) 110%. Whatever his decision is, I'm going to back it. It was a decision he felt was best for the team. It didn't work today (Thursday), unfortunately, but on another day I'm sure it will work," Cottrell said.

As for the tough outing against RR, the bowler insisted he never lost confidence and backed the team, to much like he has, recover from a slow start.

"My comeback was excellent. My confidence was always there. But I wish my bowling effort could have helped Kings XI cross the line. I'm feeling pleased about my performance," he added.

"I have been working hard on death bowling, and so have my bowling partners. We're getting there and we've been learning from our mistakes and practising it on the training grounds. I'm sure we're going to pull it off very soon. I wouldn't say worrying, it's just a matter of time for us.”

Related items

  • 'Don't burden him with T20 cricket' - former WI batsman would not recall Holder to T20 squad 'Don't burden him with T20 cricket' - former WI batsman would not recall Holder to T20 squad

    Former West Indies batsman Roland Holder does not believe Test cricket captain Jason Holder should be recalled to the T20 squad, despite several recent creditable performances in the format.

    The all-rounder last represented the regional team in the shortest format of the game in India last year.  Since the resumption of cricket, however, the player has put in a few notable T20 performances.  In the Caribbean Premier League (CPL), Holder was the Barbados Tridents' third-highest scorer with 192 runs in 10 matches and had a high score of 69.  He also made an impact with the ball after claiming 10 wickets, the second-most on the team.

    Despite not being initially drafted to the Indian Premier League (IPL), Holder was called up to replace Mitchell Marsh by Sunrisers Hyderabad.  In three matches he has managed to claim six wickets so far.  The player has, however, not been included in the T20 squad to face New Zealand next month, which Roland Holder insists is the right call.

    “I think Jason, based on his performance in the CPL, could have come in for some consideration, but again, I wouldn’t want to burden Jason, with all the different disciplines he has to play already,” Holder told the Mason and Guest radio program.

    “He’s doing well as Test captain.  He’s an integral part of the 50-over side as a player.  Why would you want to go and force T20 on him at this point in time? He’s one of our player’s that’s performing so why would we want to overload him so that he doesn’t perform.”

  • Gayle reaches career milestone but Royals reign over Kings XI Gayle reaches career milestone but Royals reign over Kings XI

    Rajasthan Royals came through a six-hitting onslaught from Chris Gayle to beat Kings XI Punjab, keeping them firmly in contention for the Indian Premier League play-offs. 

    Gayle surpassed 1,000 career maximums in Twenty20 cricket - the first player to reach that number - before being dismissed for 99, bowled by Jofra Archer (2-26).

    The left-hander's wonderful 63-ball knock, coupled with a late cameo from fellow West Indian Nicholas Pooran (22), powered Kings XI to 185-4. 

    However, the Royals overhauled that total with seven wickets in hand, moving them level with their fourth-placed opponents on 12 points as the round-robin stage draws towards a close. 

    Ben Stokes led the way in the chase with a 26-ball 50 at the top of the order, while Sanju Samson made 48 and Rajasthan skipper Steve Smith finished up unbeaten on 31. 

    Jos Buttler hurried his team to their target with two late sixes as he made 22 not out from 11 deliveries, the Royals clinching victory thanks to a Chris Jordan wide midway through the 18th over. 

     

    GAYLE LAUNCHES INTO ROYALS

    There was to be no 23rd T20 century for Gayle, though the 41-year-old still reached a notable milestone during his innings. He boosted his career sixes total with eight more on Friday, including one off Archer in the 20th over that took him to 1,001.

    However, the bowler got his revenge with the next ball, aided by a deflection off bat and pad. Gayle threw his bat after falling just short, then shared a handshake with Archer before departing.

    ROYALS RUNNING INTO FORM

    Having returned figures of 2-32 with the ball, Stokes gave Rajasthan's reply the early impetus it required. His half-century here followed on from an unbeaten 107 against Mumbai Indians last time out.

    The England international appears to be coming into form at the perfect time for the Royals, though they still remain outside the top four in the table. They have one game remaining - against fellow play-off hopefuls Kolkata Knight Riders on Sunday - and the fight to qualify could well come down to net run-rate.

  • Netballers Kelly, Robinson and Allison sign on for 2021 Vitality Super League Netball Netballers Kelly, Robinson and Allison sign on for 2021 Vitality Super League Netball

    Three Jamaican netballers have been signed by teams playing in the 2021 season of the Vitality Super Netball League in the United Kingdom.

    Malysha Kelly, Rebekah Robinson and Gezelle Allison were signed on Friday by the Seven Stars, Celtic Dragons, and Wasps, respectively.

    Kelly returns to professional netball after a protracted spell out recovering from a ruptured ACL while training in the ANZ Premiership. She brings a wealth of experience having already competed out in Suncorp Super Netball.

    "I'm so excited to have her as someone brand new," Head Coach Melissa Bessell said. "She's been training hard and I can't wait to see what she can do back on the Superleague stage."

    Allison, meanwhile, said she is eager to grasp the opportunity.

    “I am happy. I am grateful for this opportunity,” she told Sportsmax.TV Friday, shortly after her signing was announced.

    “Signing a professional contract will only build me as a player. It will also help me excel and build my confidence.”

    Head coach Mel Mansfield is eager to see what the player brings to the Wasps.

    "The 6ft, dual basketball and netball player brings Jamaican flair, power, strength and shooting accuracy," Mansfield said.

    "We are thrilled to welcome her to the black and gold of Wasps. She brings something fresh, new and exciting to our attacking line-up.”

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.