Coronavirus: ICC delays decisions on T20 World Cup

By Sports Desk June 10, 2020

The ICC has delayed a decision over the respective fates of the men's T20 World Cup and women's Cricket World Cup in order to continue exploring contingency plans over the next month.

Australia is due to host the men's T20 competition between October 18 and November 15 but the status of the tournament remains unclear due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, while the women's 50-over event is slated to take place in New Zealand from February 6 to March 7 next year.

Last month, the ICC denied reports a decision had been taken to move the T20 World Cup back to next year, although Cricket Australia said it was braced for the postponement.

Following an ICC Board meeting on Wednesday, the governing body said it will "continue to assess and evaluate the rapidly changing public health situation caused by COVID-19 working with key stakeholders including governments to explore how the events can be staged to protect the health and safety of everyone involved."

ICC chief executive Manu Sawhney said: "The situation surrounding the global pandemic is evolving rapidly and we want to give ourselves the best possible opportunity to make the right decision for the whole sport. 

"The health and well-being of everyone involved is our priority and other considerations fall out from that.

"We will only get one chance to make this decision and it needs to be the right one and as such we will continue to consult with our Members, broadcasters, partners, governments and players and to ensure that we make a well informed decision."

Related items

  • Crowds expected to be allowed in for Australia-India Boxing Day Test Crowds expected to be allowed in for Australia-India Boxing Day Test

    Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews is "very confident" there will be a crowd allowed in for Australia's Boxing Day Test against India after it was announced a long lockdown will end this week. 

    Strict lockdown restrictions will largely end from 11.59pm in Melbourne on Tuesday after no new coronavirus cases were recorded for the first time since June 9. 

    The state of Victoria has been in a hard lockdown for over four months, but shops, restaurants, cafes and bars will be allowed to open and outdoors contact sports can resume this week. 

    While Premier Andrews thinks it will be too soon for people to attend the Melbourne Cup, he expects the doors to be open for another huge event on the Australian sporting calendar. 

    "The Boxing Day Test of course is very different because that is some way off," he told reporters 

    "I am very confident that we will get a crowd at the MCG for the Boxing Day Test. 

    "I don't know how big it will be but there will be a crowd, that'' the advice that I have, that's what we're working towards." 

    The MCG is set to stage the third of four Tests against Virat Kohli's side.

  • Pollard commiserates with teammate Hardik Pandya after loss to Royals Pollard commiserates with teammate Hardik Pandya after loss to Royals

    While he was disappointed that the Mumbai Indians suffered a shock loss to the Rajasthan Royals, Captain Kieron Pollard could not help but feel especially aggrieved for one of his teammates, Hardik Pandya.

    Batting first, Mumbai were struggling at 101 for 4 after 13 overs after Pollard was bowled by Shreyas Gopal for 6. At 7.76 an over, Mumbai were looking at a score of between 155 and 170. However, Pandya smashed 60 that included two fours and seven sixes while facing just 21 balls to propel Mumbai to a competitive 195 for 5.

    What they didn’t bank on was Ben Stokes smearing Mumbai’s bowlers all over the park, scoring an unbeaten 107 from 60 balls and Sanju Sampson’s 54 from 31 balls to see the Royals race to 196 for 2 with all of 10 balls to spare.

    Pollard, filling in for a second game for Rohit Sharma, who is out with an injured hamstring paid tribute to Stokes but felt for Pandya, whose heroic efforts were in vain.

    “I thought Hardik brought us straight back into the game, but well played to Stokes and well played to Samson,” said Pollard who now has one loss and a win as the stand-in captain.

    He believed the conditions helped the Royals more than they did Mumbai.

    “The wicket ended up being a good wicket with a little bit of dew. It played into their strengths. But having said that, well played to the opposition,” said Pollard, who was not particularly concerned that the loss would impact Mumbai’s ambitions of being among the top-two teams at the end of the regular season.

    “It really doesn't do much to the campaign, we still have three games to do. We just have to come out with good cricket. Our bowlers tried but it wasn't meant to be today,” he said.

    “[Hardik] keeps showing time and time again, doesn't matter the position of the team. Tough luck an innings like that he ends up on the losing side.”

  • Coronavirus scare disrupted Dybala contract talks – Juve chief Paratici Coronavirus scare disrupted Dybala contract talks – Juve chief Paratici

    Juventus are keen to renew Paulo Dybala's contract, but managing director Fabio Paratici revealed the club's coronavirus scare made negotiations difficult.

    Dybala has two years remaining on his existing deal in Turin but an extension has long been mooted, with the Bianconeri said to be discussing an agreement until 2025.

    But no clarity has been forthcoming in the opening weeks of the 2020-21 season.

    Paratici is not overly concerned, though, explaining the reason for the delay.

    "We're in talks to extend Paulo's contract," he told Sky Sport Italia. "He wants to stay and we want to keep him - he's part of our future.

    "It has been a tricky period because we were locked in the hotel for two weeks due to the COVID scare and not allowed to meet anyone.

    "But we'll continue the negotiations to find an agreement."

    Juve were forced into "fiduciary isolation" earlier this month after two staff members tested positive for COVID-19.

    Cristiano Ronaldo has also been missing in recent weeks having contracted the virus on international duty.

    The absence of the Juve number seven allowed Dybala to come into the team against Hellas Verona on Sunday for his first start and just second overall appearance of the new campaign.

    Dybala made his return off the bench against Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League, and Paratici said ahead of Sunday's game: "Paulo is in better shape physically now.

    "Let's not forget he was out for two months with a muscular injury, then had a gastrointestinal infection in Argentina.

    "It's right that he now has the opportunity to start after a few run-outs."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.