Coronavirus: ECB confirm further delay to domestic season

By Sports Desk May 28, 2020

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have confirmed there will be no domestic cricket played before August 1 due to coronavirus.

While England are set to go up against West Indies in a behind-closed-doors Test series in July, the County Championship and Twenty20 Blast will not go ahead until at least August.

England's domestic season had already been delayed twice, but with uncertainty over the coronavirus pandemic continuing, the planned start date of July 1 has been pushed back a further month.

An ECB statement released on Thursday said: "The specifics of the season remain subject to ongoing advice from UK government and health experts, but the ambition remains to host domestic men's and women's cricket across England and Wales later this summer.

"The Professional Game Group (PGG) will look to outline a number of opportunities for domestic play, which will be presented to the ECB Board in June.

"These plans include a number of options for both red-ball and white-ball cricket including matches played at all first class grounds, the use of a regional group model as well as consideration for matches played behind closed doors or with a limited number of supporters while strictly adhering to government guidance on social distancing.

"As the ongoing COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, these scenarios will be worked on and assessed."

Recreational cricket is also still on hold, with nets and training facilities only allowed to be used for exercise.

ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said: "Naturally we want to see cricket being played at every level. We remain hopeful of seeing both domestic and recreational cricket this season and planning with the PGG has allowed us to map a number of potential scenarios for domestic play.

"Across the recreational game it has been heart-warming to hear of clubs where players have returned to the nets.

"As children start returning to school in the coming weeks, we look forward to exploring how those guidelines and learnings can be deployed for cricket. This can then see the recreational game continue its phased return as soon as we have government approval."

Related items

  • Coronavirus:  Former NL MVP Posey opts out of 2020 MLB season Coronavirus:  Former NL MVP Posey opts out of 2020 MLB season

    San Francisco Giants star catcher Buster Posey will not play in the upcoming MLB season, he announced on Friday.

    Posey, the 2012 National League MVP, is the latest high-profile player to opt out of a campaign that has been shortened by the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 33-year-old told reporters on a conference call he and his wife have adopted twin girls that were born prematurely and are still hospitalised, making him uncomfortable taking any additional health risks that could come about from travelling and playing games.

    The six-time All-Star had missed three recent team workouts for what the Giants said were personal reasons. 

    "I just feel like in the current state we are now, and these babies being as fragile as they are for the next four months at minimum, this ultimately was not a difficult decision for me," Posey said.  

    A team statement said: "The Giants fully supports Buster's decision. Buster is an integral part of our team and will be sorely missed, but we look forward to having him back in 2021." 

    Posey will forfeit around $8million of his prorated salary by choosing not to play. He is under contract in 2021 with the Giants holding a $22m club option for 2022. 

    He joins Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price, Colorado Rockies outfielder Ian Desmond, outfielder Nick Markakis and pitcher Felix Hernandez of the Atlanta Braves, infielder Ryan Zimmerman and pitcher Joe Ross of the Washington Nationals, and Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake as notable players who have chosen to opt out. 

    Posey is coming off the worst offensive season of his 11-year career, batting .257 with seven home runs and 38 RBIs in 114 games, but is the only catcher on the Giants' 40-man roster with extensive major league experience.

    San Francisco do have a top prospect at the position in Joey Bart, but the 23-year-old has never played above Double-A. 

  • West Indies tighten grip on first Test West Indies tighten grip on first Test

    West Indies racked up a 114-run first innings lead against England to take control of the first Test at the Rose Bowl on day three.

    Kraigg Brathwaite (65) and Shane Dowrich (61) led the way for the tourists, who benefitted from valuable contributions all the way down the order as they reached 318 all out on Friday.

    That was in stark contrast to England's efforts as they were skittled for 204, although openers Rory Burns and Dom Sibley dug in to negotiate a tricky evening stint and reach stumps at 15-0.

    Having made the most of bowling at England under leaden skies on Thursday, West Indies capitalised on the clouds parting to steadily compile a position of strength.

    Denied helpful overhead conditions, the home attack were confronted by a fairly benign surface – one that meant Jofra Archer being denied an lbw verdict against Shai Hope due to overstepping was an error they could ill afford.

    That moment in itself did not prove too costly as Hope was caught at slip by Ben Stokes for 16 after swiping at Dom Bess, the off-spinner who bowled tidily and also dismissed Jermaine Blackwood to claim 2-51.

    But Archer would end the innings wicketless, with stand-in skipper Stokes (4-49) and James Anderson (3-62) sharing seven scalps.

    Brathwaite could not turn his half-century into something more substantial, as he shuffled across to be trapped in front by Stokes, while Shamarh Brooks drove delightfully before edging Anderson behind to Jos Buttler for 39.

    Roston Chase took on the anchor role – in stark contrast to Blackwood's devil-may-care efforts – and was trapped on the crease by Anderson when three shy of a richly deserved fifty.

    Stokes removed opposite number Jason Holder cheaply and bowled Alzarri Joseph for a breezy 18, with Shannon Gabriel falling in similar fashion to Mark Wood.

    Dowrich, who punished the England pacemen whenever they erred in line or length, was the penultimate man to fall, edging Stokes through to Buttler.

    Gabriel, Holder and Kemar Roach found Burns and Sibley to be in resilient mood, although England will hope their hard yards have just begun.

     

    PERSISTENCE PAYS OFF FOR BRATHWAITE

    Brathwaite had not passed 50 in 21 Test innings heading into the series opener, meaning the prospect of skilled seam attack in English conditions with a Dukes ball might have filled him with dread. If it did, it certainly did not show, as he masterfully laid a platform. The 27-year-old slightly opening his stance, allowing him to access the on-side and confidently play the in-swinger, looks a shrewd adjustment.

    TOIL AND LITTLE REWARD FOR ENGLAND QUICKS

    Historically, this rivalry has been dominated by West Indies pacemen, so there was obvious excitement around England fielding two men capable of frequently hitting 90 miles per hour and beyond. However, Wood and Archer turned in combined figures of 1-135. The pair will surely fire in tandem at Test level soon – maybe even in the second innings here – but their struggles jarred as a brooding Stuart Broad watched on from the sidelines.

    MOMENT OF THE DAY – ANDERSON HANGS ON TO REMOVE CAVALIER BLACKWOOD

    West Indies day was a tale of patience and steady accumulation, very much classic Test cricket. The match situation encouraged Blackwood to try and take the action away from England, but his approach sat in hilarious contrast to his more measured team-mates. It felt like the 28-year-old played several expansive attacking shots for each of the 12 runs he ended up scoring, although Anderson's grab at mid-off to end a bizarre and entertaining interlude was as sharp as they come.

  • Coronavirus: MLB announces 83 COVID-19 cases since intake testing Coronavirus: MLB announces 83 COVID-19 cases since intake testing

    MLB released its coronavirus test numbers from the first week of training camp, including 66 new cases from intake testing as players arrived at their home ballparks.  

    Seventeen more new cases were discovered in monitoring testing, which screens players every other day and staff at least twice per week.  

    Among the 83 positive tests since the league started its protocol are 71 players and 12 staff members from 28 different MLB clubs.  

    The 66 cases from intake testing represent a 1.8 per cent positive rate, while the 17 positive tests from monitoring – which includes testing people multiple times – are just 0.2 per cent of tests administered since teams started workouts.  

    Some in the league – including Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo and Chicago Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant – have been critical of MLB's inability to test as often as planned and deliver timely results.  

    Some notable players who have made their positive cases public are Atlanta Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman, New York Yankees infielder DJ LeMahieu, Colorado Rockies outfielder Charlie Blackmon, Kansas City Royals catcher Salvador Perez and Texas Rangers slugger Joey Gallo.  

    The announcement comes on the same day that San Francisco Giants star catcher Buster Posey said that he plans to sit out the 2020 campaign.  

    Posey is perhaps the biggest name on a growing list of players opting out which includes Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price, Rockies outfield Ian Desmond, Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake and Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis.  

    The coronavirus pandemic has already wreaked havoc on the 2020 MLB season, delaying its start by at least four months, shortening the season from 162 to 60 games and preventing fans from attending.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.