Du Plessis: Wanderers Test could be my last at home

By Sports Desk January 20, 2020

Faf du Plessis insists he still plans to continue as South Africa captain until at least the T20 World Cup but admits the fourth Test against England could be his last on home soil.

The Proteas trail England 2-1 with one match remaining in Johannesburg, having been thrashed by an innings and 53 runs at St George's Park on Monday.

It has been rumoured skipper Du Plessis could end his Test career after the four-match series, despite previously describing the limited-overs tournament in Australia later this year as "a crossroad in my career".

The 35-year-old said in his post-match presentation he had "heard the rumours of a possible retirement" but "nothing has changed".

However, speaking at a news conference, he recognised the Wanderers could see his final home appearance in the longest format, as he will not consider quitting mid-series.

"I have committed until the T20 World Cup," Du Plessis said. "There isn't a lot of Test cricket left this year.

"One massive Test where we need everyone to be as strong as possible. Afterwards, there is quite a big gap.

"I have said before, there is an opportunity to release some of the captaincy. Two Test matches in the West Indies [in July], and the rest of the year is white-ball stuff.

"Most probably, after that, Test cricket will be something that won't see me. That's a decision I will make then. For me now, it's to be as strong as possible."

Dismissing the idea of quitting before the fourth Test, he said: "I don't think that's what's leadership is about.

"I felt that the team has needed a leader to stand up and guide the ship through a difficult time. If you leave the team when they need you most, that's not my style.

"I have been under pressure a few times and I've played my best innings under pressure. I can't leave the team when they need me most.

"We are in a transition but I can't do it forever. It has been chipping away at your character. For now, that's what we need. I think it will make it worse if I say I'm out."

South Africa will be without suspended strike bowler Kagiso Rabada when they attempt to draw the series, but Du Plessis is also concerned by his batting unit.

The Proteas never threatened to push England in the third Test, their biggest partnership of the second innings by far a 10th-wicket stand of 99 between Keshav Maharaj (71) and Dane Paterson (39 not out).

"[Missing Rabada] is a big frustration, disappointment," Du Plessis said. "He's our best bowler, and it's not the first time that we've lost him in what will be a crucial game for us.

"We're already a little bit light on experience in our Test unit. He will be a huge loss - that's just the cards that we've been dealt. We've got to make the best of it. There's no using excuses for that.

"We have to regroup, have some firm chats over the next few days about where we need to get better, and make sure we move forward. We've shown signs of that.

"With the bowling, our controlling of the rate has been something we've been good at. Kesh [Maharaj] had a five-for, which showed this wicket was made for the spinners. There were a lot of wickets taken by the spinners.

"The same thing is happening with the batting unit - we're not putting on big totals. If you look at England, it's just one or two guys that put their hands up and score big hundreds.

"One big partnership gives you that momentum that you need, so we need to be better."

Related items

  • In honour of: The last time West Indies won the first Test in England In honour of: The last time West Indies won the first Test in England

    What the West Indies achieved by winning the first test of the ongoing bio-secure series in England is a rare recent feat not done since 2000.

  • Ben Stokes stays close in the battle of the allrounders despite Holder heroics Ben Stokes stays close in the battle of the allrounders despite Holder heroics

    The West Indies are leading their three-Test series against England 1-0 thanks in large part to their skipper Jason Holder.

  • England rest Anderson and Wood, Denly dropped England rest Anderson and Wood, Denly dropped

    James Anderson and Mark Wood have been rested by England for the second Test against West Indies, while Joe Denly has been dropped. 

    The pacemen were part of the side that lost the series opener in Southampton last week but will not feature at Old Trafford, Anderson missing out on playing at his home ground.

    With Anderson and Wood left out, Stuart Broad - a surprising omission from the line-up last week - looks set to earn a recall.

    England have drafted left-armer Sam Curran and uncapped Sussex seamer Ollie Robinson into a 13-man squad as they strive to keep the series alive.

    Another change sees captain Joe Root, who missed the opening Test due to the birth of his second child, return in place of batsman Denly.

    Zak Crawley will move up a place in the order to bat at number three, with Root slotting back it at four.

    England were unable to train outdoors on Wednesday due to bad weather, though Root has had a chance to look at the wicket as his side bid to level the three-match series. 

    "I had a quick look yesterday – it has been under covers for the large part of yesterday evening and all of today," he told the media. 

    "It looked like a good wicket and I’m expecting it to be just that really. Hopefully there is an opportunity for batters to go out there and make big scores, go on and convert some starts if we get in. With that, you want to see a bit of carry and bounce."

    Meanwhile, Saqib Mahmood has left the Test party and will join up with England's white-ball training group on Thursday ahead of the home series against Ireland.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.