Everyone has to be open to change – Buttler receptive to idea of four-day Tests

By Sports Desk January 01, 2020

England wicketkeeper Jos Buttler says he would welcome discussions about the possibility of playing four-day Test matches.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) is reportedly considering introducing mandatory four-day Test matches, with a one-day reduction in match length likely to be discussed this month.

Any changes would come into effect from 2023, with the English and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) having stated it "cautiously" supports the mooted proposals.

Buttler would also welcome the alteration if it helps to retain and increase interest in Test cricket, though the wicketkeeper-batsman would prefer a five-day format.

"I think the administrators and broadcasters have got to look at the best way to preserve Test cricket," World Cup winner Buttler told BBC Sport's Test Match Special.

"It's the best form of the game, so how can we maintain that and keep moving the game on?

"If that's the option, moving it to four days, that has to be looked at. I like that it's five days, when you get a fantastic Test that finishes on day five with all three results possible there's nothing else really like that in cricket.

"As with everything, times change, things change, and the game has to evolve with that. Everyone has to be open to change if that’s what is needed."

Buttler is currently preparing for England's second Test against South Africa at Newlands in Cape Town, with the tourists having lost the first match by 107 runs.

The majority of England's squad suffered from illness before or during the Test, with a bug sweeping through the camp, though Buttler – who also suffered from the symptoms – is hopeful the worst has now passed.

"Pretty good, it was nice to have a full squad at training. Nice to celebrate the new year last night and come to this iconic Test venue," he added.

"Everyone's back together and all of the families. It's quite a large group out here which is nice, a special time to spend with your families and we had a really nice night.

"A few days [of the illness] seems to drain you of a lot of energy. But it's just one of those things that has gone around the team. Touch wood it's all gone.

"It certainly didn’t help us [in the first Test] but as Joe [Root] said you don’t want to hide behind that. In the game the two key moments were having South Africa 111-5 and us being 140-3 and after the first innings they ended up with a 100-run lead so that’s really where the game was won and lost, we're very aware of that."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Joshua among bidders after Buttler auctions off World Cup final shirt Coronavirus: Joshua among bidders after Buttler auctions off World Cup final shirt

    Anthony Joshua was among the bidders after Jos Buttler put the shirt he was wearing when he sealed England's historic Cricket World Cup final win over New Zealand up for auction.

    Wicketkeeper-batsman Buttler drew bids in excess of £60,000 on eBay, having put his shirt up for sale to raise funds to help those affected by the coronavirus crisis on Tuesday.

    The highest bidder will provide much-needed funds for the Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals Charity, which last week launched an emergency appeal to provide life-saving equipment for people suffering from COVID-19.

    World heavyweight boxing champion Joshua responded to Buttler's social media promotion of the auction – which ends next Tuesday – by vowing to make a bid.

    Buttler was wearing the shirt, which has been signed by his team-mates, when he ran Martin Guptill out off the final ball of a dramatic Super Over at Lord's last July to secure a first World Cup triumph for the hosts.

  • Coronavirus: ECB provides £61m support package 'to keep the lights on' Coronavirus: ECB provides £61m support package 'to keep the lights on'

    The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has announced a £61million support package to "keep the lights on" amid concerns the entire season will be lost due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    ECB chief executive officer Tom Harrison on Tuesday warned the governing body faces the biggest challenge in its history with the United Kingdom in lockdown.

    Around £40m has been made available immediately as first-class counties and local cricket boards suffer from the financial impact of COVID-19, while around a further £21m will follow in interest-free loans for recreational clubs in a bid to ensure cricket can survive at all levels.

    The start of the county season has already been delayed by six weeks until May 28, but there are fears that no play will be possible at all.

    Alternatively, England's Test and limited-overs sides could play at the same time to cram in fixtures later in the season, while the inaugural edition of The Hundred may be postponed until next year or staged behind closed doors.

    Harrison also confirmed that England players with central contracts will not be asked to take a pay cut or furloughed.

    He said in a statement: "It is no exaggeration to say this is the biggest challenge the ECB has faced in its history.

    "We are working around the clock to understand the impact on the game and we have taken these short-term steps to help counties and clubs get through the immediate impact."

    Harrison added: "This is a real hammer blow to our plans. Our season is massively under threat now. It's an incredibly difficult time for the country and the game.

    "Everyone will be impacted. Right now we are addressing the short term. There's more pain ahead if we lose a substantial portion of the season. We are building scenarios where we can take further steps as needed. We don't think this will be the end of it.

    "We won't be playing until we know it is safe for players and eventually fans. We will then be prioritising the most valuable forms of the game: first international cricket, then the Blast and maybe The Hundred as and when we get there.

    "This money - £40million in cash for immediate and then £20million in interest-free loans - is to give certainty in these extremely difficult times. It's to keep the lights on."

  • Despite 36-wicket haul, Chemar Holder coy about Windies call up Despite 36-wicket haul, Chemar Holder coy about Windies call up

    With a 36-wicket haul in the just concluded West Indies Championships, few would argue that Barbados’ Chemar Holder is not too far away from a call to the West Indies senior team.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.