Magnificent Malinga takes four in four to deny New Zealand T20 sweep

By Sports Desk September 06, 2019

Lasith Malinga claimed four wickets in as many balls against New Zealand as Sri Lanka recorded a resounding 37-run win in the third and final Twenty20 match of the series.

The veteran paceman produced a stunning second over on his way to recording figures of 5-6 - his best in the format for his country - that included accounting for three of the four Kiwi batsmen to make first-ball ducks.

Needing 126 to complete a 3-0 sweep, the Black Caps reached 15 before losing their first wicket, Colin Munro becoming Malinga's 100th T20 victim for Sri Lanka.

He immediately followed up the initial breakthrough by removing Hamish Rutherford and Colin de Grandhomme, in the process becoming the first bowler to claim two T20 hat-tricks at international level.

Not content with his treble, the 36-year-old trapped Ross Taylor lbw with a trademark yorker. Astonishingly, it is the second time Malinga has taken four in four for Sri Lanka, having previously achieved the feat against South Africa at the 2007 Cricket World Cup.

Tim Seifert was his fifth and final wicket on Friday, caught at slip trying to drive on the up, as the Kiwis collapsed in a heap, at one stage slipping to 47-8.

However, Tim Southee (28 not out) hit three sixes as Sri Lanka were forced to wait to clinch victory, New Zealand adding 36 runs for the final wicket before they were eventually bowled out for 88.

The home team had earlier laboured to 125-8 after opting to bat first, opener Danushka Gunathilaka top-scoring with 30 from 25 deliveries.

Niroshan Dickwella and T20 debutant Lahiru Madushanka also made useful contributions, weighing in with 24 and 20 respectively, but the home team struggled to cope against New Zealand's spin bowlers.

Mitchell Santner (3-12) and Todd Astle (3-28), who replaced fellow leg-spinner Ish Sodhi in the XI for the dead rubber, shared six wickets to help restrict the hosts.

Yet what appeared to be a below-par total at the halfway stage proved more than enough thanks to Malinga's heroics, giving Sri Lanka a morale-boosting triumph in Pallekele.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: NZR announces pay cuts, grants for Super Rugby franchises Coronavirus: NZR announces pay cuts, grants for Super Rugby franchises

    New Zealand Rugby (NZR) has announced wage cuts for its staff as it faces up to huge losses as a result of the coronavirus pandemic and confirmed its five Super Rugby franchises will receive grants.

    Reports suggest the governing body could lose out on 100million New Zealand dollars in revenue.

    Chief executive Mark Robinson said NZR staff and its board are taking a 40 per cent cut for at least three months.

    It follows similar measures taken by other top-tier rugby nations.

    "It's an incredibly challenging time, we have fantastic rugby people all around the country at the moment dealing with difficult financial circumstances," Robinson told reporters.

    NZR also confirmed its Super Rugby teams will receive an emergency grant to help ensure they are prepared for when the competition can resume.

    "An emergency NZR grant of $250,000 each is to be made available to all Super Rugby clubs for the next three months which is seen as a critical supplement to other financing options or levers being considered by the clubs," Robinson added.

    "Super Rugby is a vital part of our rugby eco-system and has a solid 25-year track record as a strong and admired rugby competition that has valuable intellectual property and a legacy of world-class rugby.

    "These decisions are about protecting the core capability of the Super Rugby clubs so that they are ready to hit the ground running if Super Rugby resumes later this year, and also be in a position to revive and participate in Super Rugby in whatever shape it takes in 2021 and beyond.

    "The Super Rugby clubs and NZR have also agreed to pause the negotiation of Super Rugby franchise licenses and use this time to review the business principles and governance of the competition so that the future of the clubs is sustainable, and they are match ready."

  • Coronavirus: Joshua among bidders after Buttler auctions off World Cup final shirt Coronavirus: Joshua among bidders after Buttler auctions off World Cup final shirt

    Anthony Joshua was among the bidders after Jos Buttler put the shirt he was wearing when he sealed England's historic Cricket World Cup final win over New Zealand up for auction.

    Wicketkeeper-batsman Buttler drew bids in excess of £60,000 on eBay, having put his shirt up for sale to raise funds to help those affected by the coronavirus crisis on Tuesday.

    The highest bidder will provide much-needed funds for the Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals Charity, which last week launched an emergency appeal to provide life-saving equipment for people suffering from COVID-19.

    World heavyweight boxing champion Joshua responded to Buttler's social media promotion of the auction – which ends next Tuesday – by vowing to make a bid.

    Buttler was wearing the shirt, which has been signed by his team-mates, when he ran Martin Guptill out off the final ball of a dramatic Super Over at Lord's last July to secure a first World Cup triumph for the hosts.

  • Coronavirus: ECB provides £61m support package 'to keep the lights on' Coronavirus: ECB provides £61m support package 'to keep the lights on'

    The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has announced a £61million support package to "keep the lights on" amid concerns the entire season will be lost due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    ECB chief executive officer Tom Harrison on Tuesday warned the governing body faces the biggest challenge in its history with the United Kingdom in lockdown.

    Around £40m has been made available immediately as first-class counties and local cricket boards suffer from the financial impact of COVID-19, while around a further £21m will follow in interest-free loans for recreational clubs in a bid to ensure cricket can survive at all levels.

    The start of the county season has already been delayed by six weeks until May 28, but there are fears that no play will be possible at all.

    Alternatively, England's Test and limited-overs sides could play at the same time to cram in fixtures later in the season, while the inaugural edition of The Hundred may be postponed until next year or staged behind closed doors.

    Harrison also confirmed that England players with central contracts will not be asked to take a pay cut or furloughed.

    He said in a statement: "It is no exaggeration to say this is the biggest challenge the ECB has faced in its history.

    "We are working around the clock to understand the impact on the game and we have taken these short-term steps to help counties and clubs get through the immediate impact."

    Harrison added: "This is a real hammer blow to our plans. Our season is massively under threat now. It's an incredibly difficult time for the country and the game.

    "Everyone will be impacted. Right now we are addressing the short term. There's more pain ahead if we lose a substantial portion of the season. We are building scenarios where we can take further steps as needed. We don't think this will be the end of it.

    "We won't be playing until we know it is safe for players and eventually fans. We will then be prioritising the most valuable forms of the game: first international cricket, then the Blast and maybe The Hundred as and when we get there.

    "This money - £40million in cash for immediate and then £20million in interest-free loans - is to give certainty in these extremely difficult times. It's to keep the lights on."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.