In-demand Mahmood excited by future after Pakistan exit

By Sports Desk August 15, 2019

Azhar Mahmood is disappointed he was not invited to meet the committee of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) before his tenure as bowling coach was ended, but says he is in demand as he eyes a new challenge.

The PCB last week announced a revamp of the coaching staff, with head coach Mickey Arthur, bowling coach Mahmood, batting coach Grant Flower and trainer Grant Luden leaving at the end of their contracts.

Arthur and captain Sarfraz Ahmed met the committee before the decision was made over whether the coaching staff would be offered new deals, yet former Pakistan all-rounder Mahmood was not given the opportunity to state his case to stay on.

The former Pakistan all-rounder felt he should have been allowed to represent himself, but left the role with his head held high two years after playing a big part in the ICC Champions Trophy triumph in England.

Mahmood told Omnisport: "We had some wonderful times. There were a lot of ups and downs in that two-and-a-half-year period, but I worked really hard with this young group of bowlers.

"I would have liked to have been able to represent myself in front of the committee before the decision over contracts was made, but I can move on with dignity and pride over what I achieved.

"I believe I've done a really good job with these guys and they have the potential to become world-class bowlers, so I wish them all the luck.

"Initially I got a two-year contract, which they asked me to extend until after the World Cup. Now it's time to move on and grow further as a coach.

"My aim was to be there and give my best to the country and to the players, I certainly feel I did that.

"Let's see where I end up next. Now people know I'm available, I have a lot of interest coming my way so I need to work out which is the best for my future.

"Even when I was doing the job with Pakistan I got a job offer from Surrey and now people know I am available, there has been more interest."

Related items

  • Denly, Stokes help England make solid start in New Zealand Denly, Stokes help England make solid start in New Zealand

    England made a solid start to the first Test against New Zealand thanks largely to Joe Denly and Ben Stokes on Thursday.

    Denly (74) and Stokes (67 not out) helped England reach 241-4 at stumps on day one after the tourists opted to bat in Mount Maunganui.

    Rory Burns (52) also made a half-century as Chris Silverwood's team stayed patient at Bay Oval to put themselves in a decent position.

    Colin de Grandhomme (2-28) was the pick of New Zealand's bowlers, while Tim Southee (1-46) and Neil Wagner (1-77) also took wickets.

    But Stokes, given a late life, and Ollie Pope (18) managed to get to stumps on a fine opening day for England.

    After England decided to bat under sunny skies, Burns and debutant Dom Sibley made a good start.

    Burns was lucky to survive when on 10, appearing to edge Trent Boult (0-61) behind, only to be given not out as the Black Caps opted not to review.

    England had scored heavily through the leg side early in the day before De Grandhomme struck, Sibley (22) edging to Ross Taylor at first slip.

    Denly joined Burns as the tourists continued to enjoy the better start to the Test, the latter escaping an lbw review when on 44.

    After Burns brought up his fifth Test 50, De Grandhomme delivered another breakthrough for New Zealand as the opener edged through to BJ Watling.

    Joe Root (2) had struggled as the Black Caps kept things tight, the England captain's 22-ball stay ending when he edged to Southee off Wagner.

    They were the wickets New Zealand needed before tea, and Denly brought up his fifth Test half-century with a brilliant drive off Wagner after the break.

    Stokes and Denly looked comfortable approaching stumps, but the second new ball brought the hosts another wicket.

    A ball after another fine boundary, Denly edged Southee and a diving Watling took a good catch to his right.

    New Zealand squandered a great chance late in the day, Taylor dropping Stokes – who was on 67 – at slip off Boult to ensure England were left in a fine position.

  • Bonner's ton helps put Scorpions out of Pride's reach at Conaree Bonner's ton helps put Scorpions out of Pride's reach at Conaree

    Nkrumah Bonner scored a quick-fire century that helped set the foundation for the Jamaica Scorpion’s 26-run victory over the Barbados Pride in a high-scoring match at Conaree on Wednesday.

  • Ronsford Beaton suspended again for an illegal bowling action Ronsford Beaton suspended again for an illegal bowling action

    Guyana Jaguars pacer Ronsford Beaton has been suspended with immediate effect from West Indies domestic matches for an illegal bowling action, Cricket West Indies has confirmed.

    The bowler's action was determined to be illegal in an Opinion Report by an Independent Assessor at Loughborough University.

    The assessment revealed that Beaton’s deliveries exceeded the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under playing regulations.

    Beaton will remain suspended until such time as his action is found to be legal, either by an Opinion Report from Loughborough University or by an independent analysis from an accredited testing centre, in accordance with the CWI Regulations for Dealing with Suspected Illegal Bowling Actions.

    He is expected to undergo remedial work supervised by the Jaguars franchise and can apply for a reassessment after modifying his bowling action in accordance with the Regulations.

    The 27-year-old Beaton was reported for a suspect bowling action during the Jaguars’ game against the United States last Monday in the Colonial Medical Insurance Super50 Cup.

    Beaton’s action was cited by match officials after he bowled eight overs for figures of 0-37 during the game at the Queen’s Park Oval, which the Jaguars won by 13 runs.

    This is the second time that Beaton has been suspended for an illegal bowling action.

    He was suspended from bowling after being reported during an ODI against New Zealand on December 24, 2017. Then in August 2018, the ICC ruled that he could return to playing international cricket after his remodelled bowling action was assessed at Loughborough University in England on August 13, 2018, where it was revealed that the amount of elbow extension for all his deliveries was within the 15-degree level of tolerance permitted under the ICC Illegal Bowling Regulations.

     

     

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.