Season over for England spinner Rashid

By Sports Desk August 09, 2019

Adil Rashid's hopes of playing any part in the Ashes are over after the England spinner was ruled out for the rest of the domestic season due to a chronic shoulder injury.

Rashid played through the pain barrier as England made history by winning the Cricket World Cup for the first time last month.

The 31-year-old tweaker withdrew from Yorkshire's Vitality Blast squads to undergo further treatment last week, revealing the pain in his shoulder was "the worst it has been this summer".

Yorkshire on Friday confirmed Rashid's campaign is over, so he will definitely not feature in the ongoing five-match series against Australia.

Rashid told Yorkshireccc.com: "The aim was to come back after the World Cup and play for Yorkshire. I enjoy playing for Yorkshire, but it just wasn't meant to be.

"I've had a shoulder problem for a little while and I got through the World Cup with an injection. Obviously, as time has gone on the injection has worn out and, after the World Cup, I started feeling a bit of a pinch in my shoulder.

"These things can happen and fortunately it hasn't happened to me earlier than it has. I've played 13-14 years of professional cricket and this is the first time I've suffered an injury to my shoulder.

"I'm very confident, after being ruled out for the rest of the season, that I can get myself fully fit before we go away in the winter. I've got two months now to get myself fully fit and it's as simple as that.

"From both the ECB's and Yorkshire's point of view, now we've identified what's wrong with the shoulder, it's important during this period that I'm not playing. I got through the World Cup due to an injection but that's just a temporary thing so the aim now in these two months is to get the rehab done and get fully fit.

"I'm confident if I do things properly I can get fully fit, not just for the winter but for the rest of my career."

Related items

  • Shield match abandoned due to unsafe MCG wicket ahead of Boxing Day Test Shield match abandoned due to unsafe MCG wicket ahead of Boxing Day Test

    A dangerous pitch has forced the MCG's final match before the Boxing Day Test between Australia and New Zealand to be cancelled in Melbourne on Sunday.

    Preparations for the December 26 Test were thrown into chaos after the Sheffield Shield clash between Victoria and Western Australia was suspended on Saturday.

    Umpires decided to call off day one of the match due to an unsafe wicket, after Western Australia batsmen Shaun Marsh and Marcus Stoinis were struck multiple times amid unpredictable bounce.

    Cricket Australia (CA) released a statement, ensuring there will be a wicket of "international standard" ready for the Boxing Day blockbuster as organisers and curators were left scrambling.

    The teams returned on Sunday but after a morning inspection it was agreed for the match to be abandoned, despite extensive work from the ground staff.

    While a different strip will be used for the Australia-New Zealand Test, it has sparked cause for concern ahead of the trans-Tasman fixture.

    "We won't be losing the Boxing Day Test," Victorian sports minister Martin Pakula said. "I understand there is disappointment about the Shield match being abandoned but I've spoken to Stuart Fox [Melbourne Cricket Club chief executive] yesterday and today.

    "The wicket being used for the Boxing Day Test is a different wicket to the one used yesterday and I've got no doubt that by the time we get to Boxing Day in a couple of weeks from now the wicket will be in perfect order for a Test match."

    "I applaud the MCC for trying to prepare a wicket with more life in it," Pakula added. "It has been criticised in recent years for being too favourable to batsmen. The club is trying to find more balance between batting and bowling and they will keep working on that not just this year but in years ahead."

    Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) chief executive Alistair Nicholson added: "The right decision has been made. When player safety comes into it there's no debate from our point of view."

    The opening Test between Australia and New Zealand starts in Perth on December 12.

  • Fabian Allen retained for Pakistan Super League as big-name Windies players axed Fabian Allen retained for Pakistan Super League as big-name Windies players axed

    Many of the big-name West Indies T20 players, including Andre Russell and Dwayne Bravo, have been axed from their teams in the Pakistan Super League ahead of its February 2020 start during Saturday’s draft in Lahore.

  • Smith set for South Africa role as Faul takes over as acting CEO Smith set for South Africa role as Faul takes over as acting CEO

    Cricket South Africa (CSA) has confirmed they are close to appointing Graeme Smith as their new director of cricket.

    The former Proteas captain – who scored over 9,000 runs in 117 Test appearances for his country – had previously released a statement on social media to dismiss speculation he would be taking the role, citing "real concerns", though discussions with the governing body were still ongoing.

    At a press conference on Saturday, president Chris Nenzani announced CSA expects to finalise terms with Smith in the coming days.

    The organisation has also moved quickly to fill the void created by the suspension of chief executive Thabang Moroe on Friday, with Jacques Faul taking over immediately on an interim basis.

    Smith is set to be officially presented next Wednesday, less than three weeks before South Africa begin their four-Test series against England on home soil.

    "I'm happy to announce that we have engaged Graeme Smith. I am confirming that he has agreed that by next week Wednesday all of the negotiations around the contract terms that need to take place would have been concluded," Nenzani told the media.

    "We still have these three days left for engagement on the specific issues around the contract. He and CSA have both agreed that it is important that we conclude this by Tuesday so that on Wednesday we are able to announce to the public a certainty of how we go forward.

    "If you have you have your director of cricket in place, then your selection processes are going to kick in, then your team preparation is going to kick in."

    Faul steps in following the "precautionary" suspension of Moroe – who remains on full pay – due to allegations of misconduct.

    Nenzani revealed they had held discussions with ex-Proteas international Dave Richardson, who previously held the position of chief executive officer for the International Cricket Council (ICC), over a temporary appointment.

    While unable to assist on a full-time basis, Richardson will be available to provide support for Faul, who is CEO of the Titans franchise in domestic cricket.

    "When I spoke to him [Faul], he did not even think for a moment, he said, 'I will come in and lend my support and put my shoulder on the wheel for the benefit of cricket in this country'," Nenzani said.

    On talks with Richardson, he added: "His role will be to offer support and also to be available when required by the acting CEO.

    "That to us ticks the box when we are having stability at that level of management. Up to this moment, we did not have a CEO and, in leadership, you should not allow a vacuum to occur."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.