Ashes 2019: Root vows no 'shotgun' decisions as dilemmas over Anderson, Archer and Moeen loom

By Sports Desk August 05, 2019

Joe Root vowed not to make any "shotgun" decisions over team selection for the second Ashes Test after England were humbled by Australia in the Edgbaston opener.

England had Australia 122-8 in the first innings and took a 90-run lead into the second but, thanks largely to back-to-back centuries from Steve Smith, eventually slipped to a 251-run defeat.

Several players therefore find their place in the team at Lord's under threat, with Moeen Ali in particular coming in for criticism after making scores of 0 and 4 with the bat and match figures of 3-172 with the ball.

The decision to play James Anderson has also been scrutinised, with England's record wicket-taker suffering a calf injury on the opening morning having suffered from a similar issue prior to the Test.

Likely replacement Jofra Archer has been struggling with a side strain and will need to prove his fitness in the interim period.

But captain Root insists due diligence will be given in regards team selection.

"We have to go about it [deciding if Archer plays] in a very calculated manner as we did with Jimmy," he said. 

"If someone is fit to play and it's a unanimous decision then you have to put trust in that because it's a recurring – well not a recurring injury – but because it's the same area in general, if you like, it's easy to say or ask questions about the process and decision-making going into it. 

"With Jofra it's a slightly different situation where he'll have played a lot more cricket in between and we'll have a clearer indication of where he's at, turn up at Lord's and make sure there are no shotgun decisions.

"It's very easy to make emotional decisions right now. We're in a lucky position that there's time between the two Test matches. We've got to make sure we're taking all the information very clear about how we want to approach the next game and take a call from there."

On Moeen's place in the team, Root added: "I think with Mo you have to remember how threatening he can be and what an asset to this team he has been in the past. 

"When he's been written off before he comes back stronger, particularly in English conditions. He'll be disappointed with how yesterday went and how the game has gone but he'll dust himself off and come back.

"As I said we've got to make sure we're clear on how we approach the next game and not make too many emotional decisions going into Lord's and sit down as a selection panel and go from there."

Related items

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: France lock Vahaamahina announces retirement a day after Wales red card Rugby World Cup 2019: France lock Vahaamahina announces retirement a day after Wales red card

    France lock Sebastien Vahaamahina has announced his retirement from Test rugby, just 24 hours after he received a costly red card in his country's Rugby World Cup quarter-final loss to Wales.

    Les Bleus' run in Japan ended on Sunday when Warren Gatland's team edged a tight encounter 20-19.

    France were leading 19-10 when Vahaamahina was dismissed nine minutes into the second half for elbowing Aaron Wainwright, and the 14 men were unable to hang on as Wales avenged their 2011 semi-final loss to the same opponents.

    Vahaamahina, 28, has now sent a message to Eurosport Rugbyrama saying he is walking away from international rugby, a decision he claims he reached earlier this year.

    "It's hard, very hard for me today - especially because, as I have planned for several months, it was my last match with the national team," he said.

    "I hadn't made a public announcement of my retirement but the people impacted by the decision have known since the summer: [France coach] Jacques Brunel, [Clermont Auvergne coach] Franck Azema and several of the players.

    "I wanted to have the best possible match and tournament to finish on... perhaps I wanted it too much. My desire and my aggression got the better of me."

    The lock received his marching orders from referee Jaco Peyper, who is now the subject of a World Rugby investigation after he appeared to mock the man he dismissed in a picture taken with Wales fans.

    A photo circulated on social media of Peyper with his elbow raised to a fan's chin.

    France Rugby Federation vice-president Serge Simon demanded an explanation from the South African official.

    He tweeted: "This photo if it is true is shocking and explanations will be necessary."

    World Rugby confirmed they are looking into the matter.

    "World Rugby is aware of a picture on social media of referee Jaco Peyper with a group of Wales fans taken after last night's [Sunday's] quarter-final between Wales and France in Oita," the governing body said.

    "It would be inappropriate to comment further while we are establishing the facts."

  • Hundred price for Gayle was too high - Shane Warne Hundred price for Gayle was too high - Shane Warne

    T20 batting legend Chris Gayle might have priced himself out of the inaugural Hundred Draft held on Sunday.

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: Semi-finalists England and South Africa climb in world rankings Rugby World Cup 2019: Semi-finalists England and South Africa climb in world rankings

    The Rugby World Cup semi-finals will feature the top four teams in world rugby after the rankings were updated following the quarter-finals.

    England and South Africa, courtesy of their convincing wins over Australia and hosts Japan respectively, both climbed one place.

    Eddie Jones' side moved above Wales into second, behind defending world champions New Zealand - who England face on Saturday - and the Springboks leapfrogged Ireland.

    Six Nations champions Wales beat France 20-19, though even a larger margin of victory would not have kept them from dropping down to third.

    Japan had risen to their highest ever ranking after Australia's defeat to England, but the Wallabies moved back into sixth after the Brave Blossoms' loss to South Africa.

    France are seventh, with Japan eighth, ahead of Scotland and Argentina, who complete the top 10.

    Despite their exit at the hands of South Africa, Japan have won over many fans at the World Cup, with coach Jamie Joseph believing his side are well on their way to becoming a top-five team.

    "The team has worked incredibly hard for three years, and this year we worked harder than we've worked ever before," Joseph told a news conference.

    "That's put us in a really good position to strive for our goals, which is making the top five in the world."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.