Ashes 2019: Root refuses to blame World Cup fatigue for Edgbaston humbling

By Sports Desk August 05, 2019

Joe Root refused to blame a Cricket World Cup hangover for England's disappointing defeat in the first Ashes Test against Australia.

The opening day at Edgbaston came just 18 days after an amazing Lord's final against New Zealand, as England became world champions following a dramatic Super Over.

Six members of that ODI side featured in Birmingham, although their stand-out performers against Australia, Stuart Broad – who took 5-86 in the first innings – and centurion Rory Burns, were not among them.

Root, however, instead blamed an inability to capitalise on an early position of strength, having reduced Australia to 122-8 in their first innings, for England's 251-run defeat.

"No, I think that [World Cup fatigue] is a bit of an excuse if I'm being honest," he said at the post-match presentation. 

"As I said we played some good stuff throughout the game, we just didn't do it for long enough and we didn't take our chance right at the start of the game when we had them in that position."

The returning Steve Smith proved the difference by becoming just the third Australian to make centuries in each innings of an away Ashes Test.

England were also hindered by a calf injury sustained by James Anderson, which Root felt had an influence on the outcome of the Test.

"Yeah it was two brilliant innings [from Steve Smith], we have to keep working hard on getting him out," Root added.

"It was hard losing Jimmy early on, it becomes a balancing act, these things happen in cricket."

Anderson's selection was a dilemma for England before the Test with the seamer having sustained a similar injury last month, but Root defended the decision to select their all-time leading wicket taker.

"It was a group decision in terms of selection, he passed a fitness test [and] it's just one of those freak things that can happen in cricket," Root said.

Related items

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: France lock Vahaamahina announces retirement a day after Wales red card Rugby World Cup 2019: France lock Vahaamahina announces retirement a day after Wales red card

    France lock Sebastien Vahaamahina has announced his retirement from Test rugby, just 24 hours after he received a costly red card in his country's Rugby World Cup quarter-final loss to Wales.

    Les Bleus' run in Japan ended on Sunday when Warren Gatland's team edged a tight encounter 20-19.

    France were leading 19-10 when Vahaamahina was dismissed nine minutes into the second half for elbowing Aaron Wainwright, and the 14 men were unable to hang on as Wales avenged their 2011 semi-final loss to the same opponents.

    Vahaamahina, 28, has now sent a message to Eurosport Rugbyrama saying he is walking away from international rugby, a decision he claims he reached earlier this year.

    "It's hard, very hard for me today - especially because, as I have planned for several months, it was my last match with the national team," he said.

    "I hadn't made a public announcement of my retirement but the people impacted by the decision have known since the summer: [France coach] Jacques Brunel, [Clermont Auvergne coach] Franck Azema and several of the players.

    "I wanted to have the best possible match and tournament to finish on... perhaps I wanted it too much. My desire and my aggression got the better of me."

    The lock received his marching orders from referee Jaco Peyper, who is now the subject of a World Rugby investigation after he appeared to mock the man he dismissed in a picture taken with Wales fans.

    A photo circulated on social media of Peyper with his elbow raised to a fan's chin.

    France Rugby Federation vice-president Serge Simon demanded an explanation from the South African official.

    He tweeted: "This photo if it is true is shocking and explanations will be necessary."

    World Rugby confirmed they are looking into the matter.

    "World Rugby is aware of a picture on social media of referee Jaco Peyper with a group of Wales fans taken after last night's [Sunday's] quarter-final between Wales and France in Oita," the governing body said.

    "It would be inappropriate to comment further while we are establishing the facts."

  • Hundred price for Gayle was too high - Shane Warne Hundred price for Gayle was too high - Shane Warne

    T20 batting legend Chris Gayle might have priced himself out of the inaugural Hundred Draft held on Sunday.

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: Semi-finalists England and South Africa climb in world rankings Rugby World Cup 2019: Semi-finalists England and South Africa climb in world rankings

    The Rugby World Cup semi-finals will feature the top four teams in world rugby after the rankings were updated following the quarter-finals.

    England and South Africa, courtesy of their convincing wins over Australia and hosts Japan respectively, both climbed one place.

    Eddie Jones' side moved above Wales into second, behind defending world champions New Zealand - who England face on Saturday - and the Springboks leapfrogged Ireland.

    Six Nations champions Wales beat France 20-19, though even a larger margin of victory would not have kept them from dropping down to third.

    Japan had risen to their highest ever ranking after Australia's defeat to England, but the Wallabies moved back into sixth after the Brave Blossoms' loss to South Africa.

    France are seventh, with Japan eighth, ahead of Scotland and Argentina, who complete the top 10.

    Despite their exit at the hands of South Africa, Japan have won over many fans at the World Cup, with coach Jamie Joseph believing his side are well on their way to becoming a top-five team.

    "The team has worked incredibly hard for three years, and this year we worked harder than we've worked ever before," Joseph told a news conference.

    "That's put us in a really good position to strive for our goals, which is making the top five in the world."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.