Malinga to retire from ODIs after first Bangladesh match, says Karunaratne

By Sports Desk July 22, 2019

Lasith Malinga has told Dimuth Karunaratne he will retire from ODIs following the first match against Bangladesh, according to the Sri Lanka captain.

The 35-year-old had already announced plans to quit cricket following next year's T20 World Cup, yet his final ODI appearance is set to come this week.

Sri Lanka face Bangladesh in a three-match ODI series, starting on Friday, but Karunaratne is expecting to be without Malinga following the opener in Colombo.

"We need to find a wicket-taking bowler because Malinga is not available after this series," the skipper told a news conference.

"He is going to play the first match. After that, he is retiring. That's what he said to me. I don't know what he said for the selectors but, for me, he said he is playing only one match."

Malinga has taken 335 wickets in 225 ODIs, sitting third on his country's all-time list, with 13 dismissals at the recent Cricket World Cup.

Karunaratne added ahead of taking on Bangladesh: "As the captain of Sri Lanka, after the World Cup, we need to build a good team.

"We are trying to find some new talent, so we are giving some chances to the youngsters in this series. We want to play a good cricket series."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: CSA not planning Proteas pay cuts, but future salaries may be impacted Coronavirus: CSA not planning Proteas pay cuts, but future salaries may be impacted

    Cricket South Africa (CSA) is not planning to implement pay cuts for Proteas players during the coronavirus pandemic, though future salaries could be affected.

    The Proteas' tour of India in March was cut short due to the proliferation of COVID-19 and all forms of cricket in South Africa were cancelled for 60 days on March 16.

    Australia's visit to face the women's team was called off, while trips for the men to Sri Lanka in June and the West Indies in July could be in jeopardy if the situation has not improved six weeks prior to the start of those respective tours.

    However, CSA chief executive Jacques Faul does not anticipate the salaries of players to be impacted in the short term, though the pot for future payments may have to be reduced.

    "For now we've budgeted for the amount. It's a centralised system so both the Proteas and the franchise players have been budgeted for and we have enough to see through the next season," said Faul during a conference call.

    "The players will lose out on match fees and win bonuses. If these tours are rescheduled they'll get the money. In the long term even if we cover this season we have to look at what it's going to be post this season and the financial impact of that and how much will be available to contract players.

    "We've got to crunch the numbers first and experience the total effect of COVID-19, but it is a possibility the players will be receiving less of a player payment pool.

    "I cannot see anyone for now getting less money than they're contracted for, but in future the allocation going to players I can see that being less."

    Graeme Smith signed a three-month contract as director of cricket in December and Faul stated clarity on the former captain's tenure will be provided next week.

    "We're in final negotiations with Graeme there will be an announcement next week," he said.

    "We're at an advanced stage of the negotiations and hopefully we can make an announcement next week."

  • Coronavirus: Aussie captain Paine robbed after setting up home gym Coronavirus: Aussie captain Paine robbed after setting up home gym

    Tim Paine said his car was broken into after the Australia Test captain set up a home gym amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    COVID-19 has brought sport to a standstill, with cricket on hiatus due to the global health emergency, which has claimed more than 37,800 lives.

    Attempting to stay fit amid the shutdown, Paine relocated his car onto the street and transformed his garage into a home gym in Hobart, where the wicketkeeper was robbed.

    "I woke up this morning to a message from NAB saying I had some interesting movements on my account," Paine told reporters on Tuesday.

    "I went out and the [car] door was open and my wallet and a few other things had gone.

    "Actually looking at my account, the boys went straight to Maccas [McDonalds] – the boys must have been hungry."

    "Since that went on radio, I've had a message from [sponsor] Kookaburra and they're going to send me some balls on a string that I can hook up in the garage and start training," added Paine.

    While happy at home, Paine said: "Steve Smith, David Warner – guys like that, they're high energy, they love to train so this would be a real eye opener for them.

    "I think [Smith] is doing a 10km run every day so hopefully he doesn't come back as a skeleton. But him and Marnus [Labuschagne] and Davey are probably the three I worry about.

    "They don't like sitting still, and Steve and Marnus don't like not batting for too long. And Davey – he literally can't sit still.

    "Davey has got a home gym so he will be in there literally 24/7 and Steve and Marnus would have some kind of contraption where they're hitting balls, or they've got their wives are feeding them balls because there's no way those two are going a week without batting."

    Paine also conceded June's two-Test tour of Bangladesh is unlikely to go ahead as scheduled due to coronavirus.

    The first Test is set to start on June 11 and Paine said: "You don't have to be Einstein to realise it is probably unlikely to go ahead, particularly in June. Whether it's cancelled or pushed back, we're not quite sure at the moment."

  • Coronavirus: IPL owners have discussed staging games behind closed doors Coronavirus: IPL owners have discussed staging games behind closed doors

    The owners of Indian Premier League franchises have discussed the possibility of staging games behind closed doors this year, according to Manoj Badale.

    The 13th edition of the world's premier Twenty20 competition was due to begin this week, but it was postponed until April 15 at the earliest due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Badale, one of the co-owners of Rajasthan Royals, revealed one of the mooted options has been contesting fixtures without fans present, which he feels may be a necessary evil.

    "Both conversations between the owners and the BCCI [Board of Control for Cricket in India], that's already been discussed," Badale told BBC 5 live.

    "As with the English Premier League, the atmosphere is a huge part of the spectacle, but, again, these are unprecedented times and sport needs to be put in the right perspective overall.

    "If the way of ensuring the cricket economy survives is by playing behind closed doors, so be it."

    There have been only 1,251 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in India, fewer than Luxembourg.

    So, while staging the IPL in the coming weeks would seem unfathomable to many in Europe, Badale said there is still a belief the tournament could be held in two months' time.

    "In India the COVID phenomenon has only really just landed so when we have our owners' conference calls, there's still an expectation that there may be a way of the games being played in June," he added.

    "Personally I can't see it happening until much later in the year."

    That would have an impact on an already congested cricket calendar, especially as the T20 World Cup is due to start in October.

    Yet Badale emphasised the financial value of the IPL to the sport.

    "Fundamentally, to the cricket economy - not just to the Indian cricket economy, but to the global cricket economy - the IPL is incredibly important," he said.

    "Not just what it means for players, but what it means for the supply chain that a $600m-a-year tournament creates."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.