Burns backs Roy to make Test impact

By Sports Desk July 22, 2019

Rory Burns is confident Surrey team-mate Jason Roy will adapt to Test cricket as he looks set to make his England bow in the longest format.

Roy was a star of England's Cricket World Cup triumph as an opening batsman and his form has earned him a place in the squad to face Ireland ahead of the Ashes.

Burns is also set to feature at the top of the order and he believes Roy will have little difficulty taking his white-ball form into Tests.

"In recent times, he's come further up the order - he batted three at the end of last year and he's been top four outside that," Burns said. "I think it'll translate.

"For Jason, it's going to be a mindset thing. He's been playing a lot of white-ball cricket recently, and that's see-ball, hit-ball.

"Now he gets the chance to leave a couple and assess things. He's a fine player and I'm sure he'll adapt."

Burns was not a member of England's victorious ODI side, yet he suggests the Test team have a good mixture of players who were involved and were watching on.

"If you look down the squad, eight were in the World Cup squad and eight weren't," he said. "There's guys there where this is the start of their summer in terms of Test matches.

"Then there's guys who are riding that high, so hopefully the guys riding that high can reset and push on. And hopefully the other guys can get amongst it."

Related items

  • Du Plessis calls for focus on cricket amid CSA off-field problems Du Plessis calls for focus on cricket amid CSA off-field problems

    Faf du Plessis wants on-field matters to take centre stage for South Africa as they prepare to host England on the back of a tumultuous period.

    Cricket South Africa's CEO Thabang Moroe was suspended as a "precautionary" move on Friday following allegations of misconduct.

    Preparations for the Proteas' four-Test series against England have been hindered by a number of additional issues, including disputes with the South African Cricketers' Association, the loss of a major sponsor, and a ban on five journalists that was swiftly reversed.

    Former captain Graeme Smith is set to be appointed as South Africa's new director of cricket next week and Du Plessis believes attention must turn to the playing XI.

    "Obviously a lot has happened but now it's a new start," the skipper was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo.

    "As a board we have noted the apology that has come from the CEO and as a board we endorse that apology." - CSA President, Chris Nenzani on the revocation of accreditation of five members of the media. #CSAMediaBriefing pic.twitter.com/BXSfTCjeJX

    — Cricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) December 7, 2019

    "There's not much time before the English series so now it's about putting our focus back on to the team, making sure that the Test team gets all the things that are required for us to be successful.

    "It's been a little bit on pause the last two or three weeks, which is already too late, so we need to make sure in the next week things will start unfolding to make sure the Test team gets the most attention. The last two weeks there hasn't been much attention on that so that is what we will try and drive over the next week.

    "Now it's about moving forward. I am a firm believer that it's time for us to look ahead from all this c**p that's been happening behind the scenes. It's about making sure that the players are focused on the cricket side of things. It's about getting focus on what's really important now, which is a Test series against England.

    "There's too much negative stuff that's happened over the last four or five weeks and our cricket is too strong to have so many issues all the time. We are too proud a cricketing nation to be talking about this stuff all the time. The attention needs to be on the cricket and making sure we will build ourselves as a team and ourselves as an organisation to be great again."

    The first Test between South Africa and England begins on December 26 at Centurion.

  • Lakmal contracts dengue fever, withdraws from Sri Lanka squad Lakmal contracts dengue fever, withdraws from Sri Lanka squad

    Suranga Lakmal has withdrawn from Sri Lanka's squad to face Pakistan after contracting dengue fever.

    The fast bowler will not travel with his team-mates on Sunday and has been replaced by Asitha Fernando.

    Sri Lanka confirmed the news in a tweet as the squad was preparing to depart for two Tests in Rawalpindi and Karachi.

    Lakmal's absence aside, the tourists boast a full-strength squad, in stark contrast to the one that headed to Pakistan in September and October, when 10 high-profile players withdrew amid security concerns. 

    The opening Test begins on December 11 and will be the first in Pakistan in a decade.

  • Shield match abandoned due to unsafe MCG wicket ahead of Boxing Day Test Shield match abandoned due to unsafe MCG wicket ahead of Boxing Day Test

    A dangerous pitch has forced the MCG's final match before the Boxing Day Test between Australia and New Zealand to be cancelled in Melbourne on Sunday.

    Preparations for the December 26 Test were thrown into chaos after the Sheffield Shield clash between Victoria and Western Australia was suspended on Saturday.

    Umpires decided to call off day one of the match due to an unsafe wicket, after Western Australia batsmen Shaun Marsh and Marcus Stoinis were struck multiple times amid unpredictable bounce.

    Cricket Australia (CA) released a statement, ensuring there will be a wicket of "international standard" ready for the Boxing Day blockbuster as organisers and curators were left scrambling.

    The teams returned on Sunday but after a morning inspection it was agreed for the match to be abandoned, despite extensive work from the ground staff.

    While a different strip will be used for the Australia-New Zealand Test, it has sparked cause for concern ahead of the trans-Tasman fixture.

    "We won't be losing the Boxing Day Test," Victorian sports minister Martin Pakula said. "I understand there is disappointment about the Shield match being abandoned but I've spoken to Stuart Fox [Melbourne Cricket Club chief executive] yesterday and today.

    "The wicket being used for the Boxing Day Test is a different wicket to the one used yesterday and I've got no doubt that by the time we get to Boxing Day in a couple of weeks from now the wicket will be in perfect order for a Test match."

    "I applaud the MCC for trying to prepare a wicket with more life in it," Pakula added. "It has been criticised in recent years for being too favourable to batsmen. The club is trying to find more balance between batting and bowling and they will keep working on that not just this year but in years ahead."

    Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) chief executive Alistair Nicholson added: "The right decision has been made. When player safety comes into it there's no debate from our point of view."

    The opening Test between Australia and New Zealand starts in Perth on December 12.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.