Wade confirmed as Khawaja's World Cup replacement

By Sports Desk July 10, 2019

Matthew Wade's place in Australia's Cricket World Cup squad as Usman Khawaja's replacement has been confirmed ahead of the semi-final with England at Edgbaston.

Khawaja's tournament was ended by a hamstring strain sustained in the final group game against South Africa and the defending champions had applied to the ICC for Wade to be brought in as his replacement.

The formalities for Wade's inclusion were completed on Wednesday, a day before the Aussies meet hosts England in the second semi-final.

Coach Justin Langer has already confirmed Peter Handscomb will replace Khawaja in his XI for the clash with England.

Wade, 31, has been in fine form having scored two centuries for Australia A in England last month.

He has not played an ODI in two years but reports suggest he could also come straight into the team at Edgbaston, possibly at the expense of all-rounder Glenn Maxwell.

Related items

  • Gus Logie appointed interim head coach for West Indies Women's team Gus Logie appointed interim head coach for West Indies Women's team

    Former West Indies batsman Gus Logie has been named the Interim Head Coach of the West Indies Women’s Team. Cricket West Indies has also appointed a new team manager.

  • Gayle not 'available' for Afghanistan series but chief selector Harper insists focus to be on youngsters Gayle not 'available' for Afghanistan series but chief selector Harper insists focus to be on youngsters

    Newly appointed Windies chairman of selectors Roger Harper confirmed veteran batsman Chris Gayle was unavailable for the upcoming series against Afghanistan but suggested the panel would focus on younger talent going forward.

    Speculation has continued to surround the future of the star batsman after he announced plans to retire, following the ICC World Cup earlier this year.  The 40-year-old, however, appeared to have a change of heart and went on to claim that the team's series again India, following the cricketing showpiece, would instead be his final. 

    Controversy, however, erupted with many suggesting the batsman should hang up his tips and allow for the development of younger players.  Following the series against India, Gayle was again quick to insist that he was in no hurry to retire.  With young openers like Evin Lewis and Brandon King included in the squad, Harper suggested it was time to give younger players an opportunity to showcase their skills.

    “Gayle told us he is unavailable for Afghanistan Series, but we all know Chris, he is a world-class player with a tremendous record and of course it’s difficult to replace Chris Gayle,” Harper explained.

    "But I think going forward it is in a way an opportunity for young players to showcase their skills and make a name for themselves as we look ahead to the next two T20 World Cups in 2020 and 2021 and the future.”

  • Emotional Stoichkov calls for tough sanctions on Bulgaria after England clash Emotional Stoichkov calls for tough sanctions on Bulgaria after England clash

    Bulgaria great Hristo Stoichkov fought back tears in a TV appearance as he demanded action over the racist abuse England players suffered in their Euro 2020 qualifier in Sofia.

    The former Ballon d'Or winner suggested "heavier punishments" than stadium closures could be required in response to the shameful scenes that marred Monday's match.

    A section of Bulgaria supporters aimed monkey chants at Raheem Sterling, Tyrone Mings and Marcus Rashford and were also seen performing Nazi salutes.

    Bulgarian Football Union president Borislav Mihaylov stepped down amid the fallout and UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against the organisation.

    The abuse witnessed at Vasil Levski National Stadium moved 53-year-old Stoichkov during an appearance on TUDN programme Futbol Central.

    "People don't deserve to suffer," Stoichkov said, before becoming emotional and hanging his head.

    Play was twice halted in the first half on Monday before a group of fans were ejected from the ground.

    Asked about about a suitable sanction, former Barcelona forward Stoichkov said: "That fans are not allowed in the stadium, or even heavier punishments, like in England a few years ago."

    Stoichkov did not specify a particular incident involving punishment in England. He may have meant the ban from European club competitions imposed after the 1985 Heysel Stadium disaster, when English clubs were barred from UEFA competitions for five years, and Liverpool excluded for a further year.

    The Sofia stadium that hosted Monday's match had already been partially closed as a result of racist behaviour from fans during qualifiers against Kosovo and the Czech Republic in June.

    Bulgaria head coach Krasimir Balakov issued an apology on Wednesday and condemned the racist abuse after initially stating he did not hear it occur during his team's 6-0 defeat.

    "I would like to say very clearly: since there were cases of racial discrimination in Sofia, I would like to sincerely apologise to the English footballers and to all those who felt offended," Balakov said.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.