CWI not to blame for players dismal World Cup showing insists Hope

By Sports Desk July 09, 2019
Windies top order batsman Shai Hope. Windies top order batsman Shai Hope.

Windies top order batsman Shai Hope has rejected claims a coaching change just ahead of the start of the ICC World Cup was a major contributing factor to the team’s dismal display.

Despite being considered as one of the teams capable of causing problems at the tournament, the Windies went on to register just two wins, which left them second to last in the overall standings. 

A part of the optimism heading into the tournament was fueled by the team’s performance against England during its tour of the Caribbean.  Richard Pybus was the interim coach in charge of the team’s exceptional performance for the series of matches against the English but was replaced with Floyd Reifer only weeks ahead of the World Cup by a newly appointed Cricket West Indies (CWI) administration.

The move has led to criticism in some quarters, with many accusing the administration of unsettling the team.  Hope was, however, quick to insist that the players take full responsibility for the poor results.

“Regardless of what happened behind the scenes, we have to go out there and play cricket,” Hope said.

“It doesn’t matter what happened the week before, the day before, two years before. It’s about crossing that line and playing the hardest you can for the region.”

The Windies started brightly with a big win over Pakistan but slumped to defeats at the hands of Australia, England, Bangladesh, New Zealand, India and Sri Lanka before winning a game against Afghanistan.  Hope admitted it was difficult to pinpoint what went wrong.

“If I knew the answer to that, I reckon we’d be in the semis. It’s just one of those things. As I said, we didn’t play the better cricket on the day, and in a tournament like this, you have to basically play your best game each game.”

 

Related items

  • Kohli: Conditions had to be right for India to take up a day-night Test Kohli: Conditions had to be right for India to take up a day-night Test

    Virat Kohli has insisted India were correct to hold off on playing a day-night Test until they were confident the conditions were right.

    India turned down the opportunity to play a day-night match against Australia in Adelaide in 2018.

    However, the world's leading Test side will play across the afternoon and evening for the first time when they take on Bangladesh in Kolkata on Friday.

    It is the second match of a two-game series, with India having cruised to victory by an innings and 130 runs in the opening Test.

    Captain Kohli had been reluctant to test the waters for a day-night Test, but believes India have made the correct decision in biding their time to play in the altered format.

    "Obviously we wanted to get a feel of pink-ball cricket. Eventually, it had to happen," Kohli, whose side are facing a Bangladesh team that has lost its last four Tests, told a news conference.

    "But, you can't bring up those things before a big tour that you're going to and suddenly in the schedule, there's a pink-ball Test, when we haven't even practiced with the pink ball – we haven't played any first-class games with pink ball.

    "The thing was to experience the pink-ball Test in our own conditions first, so you get the hang of how the ball behaves, what is the way to sight the ball and so on.

    "Then, eventually, going and playing with the pink ball anywhere in the world. So it can't be a sudden thing. 

    "It needed a bit of preparation. Once you get a hang of it, once you're used to playing it, there's no problem in playing at all."

    Kohli, though, does not feel day-night matches will become the norm in Test cricket.

    "I don't think [it will be] in five-six years," he said.

    "In my opinion, this should not become the only way Test cricket is played because then you're losing that nervousness in the first session in the morning.

    "Yes, you can bring excitement into Test cricket but you can't purely make Test cricket based on just entertaining people."

  • Bonner's ton helps put Scorpions out of Pride's reach at Conaree Bonner's ton helps put Scorpions out of Pride's reach at Conaree

    Nkrumah Bonner scored a quick-fire century that helped set the foundation for the Jamaica Scorpion’s 26-run victory over the Barbados Pride in a high-scoring match at Conaree on Wednesday.

  • Ronsford Beaton suspended again for an illegal bowling action Ronsford Beaton suspended again for an illegal bowling action

    Guyana Jaguars pacer Ronsford Beaton has been suspended with immediate effect from West Indies domestic matches for an illegal bowling action, Cricket West Indies has confirmed.

    The bowler's action was determined to be illegal in an Opinion Report by an Independent Assessor at Loughborough University.

    The assessment revealed that Beaton’s deliveries exceeded the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under playing regulations.

    Beaton will remain suspended until such time as his action is found to be legal, either by an Opinion Report from Loughborough University or by an independent analysis from an accredited testing centre, in accordance with the CWI Regulations for Dealing with Suspected Illegal Bowling Actions.

    He is expected to undergo remedial work supervised by the Jaguars franchise and can apply for a reassessment after modifying his bowling action in accordance with the Regulations.

    The 27-year-old Beaton was reported for a suspect bowling action during the Jaguars’ game against the United States last Monday in the Colonial Medical Insurance Super50 Cup.

    Beaton’s action was cited by match officials after he bowled eight overs for figures of 0-37 during the game at the Queen’s Park Oval, which the Jaguars won by 13 runs.

    This is the second time that Beaton has been suspended for an illegal bowling action.

    He was suspended from bowling after being reported during an ODI against New Zealand on December 24, 2017. Then in August 2018, the ICC ruled that he could return to playing international cricket after his remodelled bowling action was assessed at Loughborough University in England on August 13, 2018, where it was revealed that the amount of elbow extension for all his deliveries was within the 15-degree level of tolerance permitted under the ICC Illegal Bowling Regulations.

     

     

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.