Hope views failed World Cup campaign as learning experience

By July 04, 2019

 West Indies batsman Shai Hope said the team’s underwhelming performance at the ICC World Cup will be a learning experience for him and the other young members of the team that ended their campaign on Thursday with a 23-run over Afghanistan.

In the dead rubber played at Headingley, Hope top scored with an attractive 77 from 92 balls as the Caribbean side scored 311-6 from their 50 overs. They then bowled out their opponents for 288 to secure what was only their second win of the competition.

 Notwithstanding the obvious disappointment, Hope said he and his teammates learned important lessons from the experience.

 “It was definitely a learning experience,” said the Man-of-the-Match. “Something that I will never forget. Playing each team in this format, obviously, you have to be the better team on the day to progress in the tournament.

 “But having said that it was a wonderful learning experience. I definitely gained something from it. Hopefully, I and the other younger players in the team can use this and take it forward into their career.”

 In Thursday’s match, Hope shared a second-wicket stand of 88 with opener Evin Lewis – who made well-compiled 58 off 78 balls with six fours and two sixes.

 Later on, Nicholas Pooran made a superb 58 off just 43 balls to follow up his maiden century against Sri Lanka earlier in the week. The 23-year-old left-hander ended the tournament with 367 runs at an average of 52.4 per innings to be the team’s leading run scorer.

 It was also the final ICC Cricket World Cup match for the iconic Chris Gayle.

 The 39-year-old ended his fifth tournament and was cheered by the large crowd. Gayle only made seven but he made his mark with the ball, taking a crucial wicket while conceding less than five runs per over.

Carlos Brathwaite was the West Indies’ most successful bowler, ending with four wickets and was well supported by Kemar Roach who had his second three-wicket haul during the competition.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Bonner's ton helps put Scorpions out of Pride's reach at Conaree Bonner's ton helps put Scorpions out of Pride's reach at Conaree

    Nkrumah Bonner scored a quick-fire century that helped set the foundation for the Jamaica Scorpion’s 26-run victory over the Barbados Pride in a high-scoring match at Conaree on Wednesday.

  • Ronsford Beaton suspended again for an illegal bowling action Ronsford Beaton suspended again for an illegal bowling action

    Guyana Jaguars pacer Ronsford Beaton has been suspended with immediate effect from West Indies domestic matches for an illegal bowling action, Cricket West Indies has confirmed.

    The bowler's action was determined to be illegal in an Opinion Report by an Independent Assessor at Loughborough University.

    The assessment revealed that Beaton’s deliveries exceeded the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under playing regulations.

    Beaton will remain suspended until such time as his action is found to be legal, either by an Opinion Report from Loughborough University or by an independent analysis from an accredited testing centre, in accordance with the CWI Regulations for Dealing with Suspected Illegal Bowling Actions.

    He is expected to undergo remedial work supervised by the Jaguars franchise and can apply for a reassessment after modifying his bowling action in accordance with the Regulations.

    The 27-year-old Beaton was reported for a suspect bowling action during the Jaguars’ game against the United States last Monday in the Colonial Medical Insurance Super50 Cup.

    Beaton’s action was cited by match officials after he bowled eight overs for figures of 0-37 during the game at the Queen’s Park Oval, which the Jaguars won by 13 runs.

    This is the second time that Beaton has been suspended for an illegal bowling action.

    He was suspended from bowling after being reported during an ODI against New Zealand on December 24, 2017. Then in August 2018, the ICC ruled that he could return to playing international cricket after his remodelled bowling action was assessed at Loughborough University in England on August 13, 2018, where it was revealed that the amount of elbow extension for all his deliveries was within the 15-degree level of tolerance permitted under the ICC Illegal Bowling Regulations.

     

     

     

  • Williamson: Tough call to omit Ferguson for first Test Williamson: Tough call to omit Ferguson for first Test

    Kane Williamson explained it was a "tough" decision to leave Lockie Ferguson out of the New Zealand side for the first Test against England but insisted the paceman's time will come.

    The uncapped Ferguson, 28, will not make his debut when the first-ever Test at Bay Oval gets under way on Thursday, with Trent Boult, Tim Southee and Neil Wagner getting the nod.

    Black Caps captain Williamson hinted that the rapid Ferguson, outstanding in the Cricket World Cup, could make his bow in the longest format in the near future.

    Williamson said of the bowler's omission for the start of the two-match series: "It was tough.

    "We know what he can bring - he's certainly not far away and he's an exciting prospect.

    "He brings something a little different which is really exciting, no doubt he's raring to go if and when that opportunity comes. His name will always be discussed."

    He added: "The three that we've gone with are guys that have been in the group for a long period of time and performed really well for us, so I know they're looking forward to getting back into Test cricket.

    "It's great to have so many guys in the environment who are very much raring to go and all offering different things."

    All-rounder Todd Astle was released from the New Zealand squad along with Ferguson.

    For England, opening batsman Dom Sibley will make his debut and Ollie Pope returns while Sam Curran was preferred to Chris Woakes in Mount Maunganui.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.