Walsh wants Bangladesh to ease pacer back from injury

By April 22, 2019
Mustafizur Rahman Mustafizur Rahman

Bangladesh bowling coach, former West Indies pacer, wants one of his charges handled with care ahead of the International Cricket Council’s Cricket World Cup in England just weeks away. 

Bangladeshi pacer Mustafizur Rahman is recovering from an ankle injury but is scheduled to play for the side in a tri-series in Ireland two weeks before the World Cup.

Walsh is concerned by the number of injuries to his team’s bowling unit ahead of the World Cup and wanted to manage the issues to ensure he had the strongest team going into the event.

Rubel Hossain is one of those with worries, the bowler suffering from a  side strain, while Mohammad Saifuddin has a tennis elbow concern, but it is Rahman who is the man expected to make a difference.

"[Mustafizur] has got a big role to play in the World Cup, once he is fit," Walsh said.

"But I don't think we rely on any one player. Shakib [Al Hasan], Mash [Mashrafe Mortaza] and Rubel have been consistent. Fizz hasn't been as sharp since his injury, and he keeps picking up slight niggles. A fully fit Mustafizur can win games for you but we have to have him as fit as possible. We have a bit of time on our side. My concern is that I hope we don't over-rush him, and probably use him too much in Ireland, and he is not fresh for the World Cup.

"Out of the five we have three injured - Fizz, Rubel and Saifuddin, who has the tennis elbow. We need to get them back into bowling, within the right frame of mind, and be sharp enough to do a bit of bowling in Ireland and be ready for the World Cup. We have Taskin Ahmed, Khaled Ahmed and Shafiul Islam as well [for back-up]. You can probably say that we have them just in case we need them."

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Bravo leaving Knight Riders for Tridents Bravo leaving Knight Riders for Tridents

    Veteran Windies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo will leave the Trinbago Knight Riders for the Barbados Tridents ahead of the 2019 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

    According to reports, the 35-year-old former franchise captain will leave the club after five seasons to become the top pick for the Tridents in the CPL draft on Wednesday.  The Barbadian franchise is accepted to sign the T&T-born player for US$160,000.

    Bravo, who won three titles in the CPL titles in the red gear of T&T, made the announcement via social media on Tuesday.  Two weeks ago it was announced that Kieron Pollard, who spent several years with the Barbados Tridents, before moving to St Kitts and Nevis Patriots last year.  The Tridents are now owned by the USA-based CMG Companies (CMG) leads a team of local and international investors in the acquisition of the cricket franchise in Barbados. 

    The Trinbago Knight Riders captured the team’s third title last year, while the Tridents had their worse ever showing finishing bottom of the table, having won two and lost eight of their 10 games played.

  • Winning the World Cup is Gayle's only objective Winning the World Cup is Gayle's only objective

    West Indies vice-captain Chris Gayle said his only focus is trying to win the World Cup, as he has nothing to prove.

  • Sri Lanka end ODI winless streak in Edinburgh Sri Lanka end ODI winless streak in Edinburgh

    Sri Lanka recorded a timely one-day international victory ahead of the Cricket World Cup as they beat Scotland in a rain-affected contest to end a seven-month winless run in the format.

    Since beating England in a dead rubber in Colombo last October, Sri Lanka had suffered 3-0 and 5-0 whitewashes to New Zealand and South Africa respectively before arriving in Scotland for a two-match series, with the first game abandoned last weekend.

    The weather played a part again at the Grange on Tuesday, but the Sri Lankans were still able to record a morale-boosting 35-run victory on the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method.

    Their top three - Avishka Fernando (74), captain Dimuth Karunaratne (77) and Kusal Mendis (66) - were all able to record half-centuries as they made 322-8 before Scotland were bowled out for 199 chasing a revised target of 235, seamer Nuwan Pradeep taking 4-34.

    Fernando, who made his maiden ODI half-century, and Karunaratne, who made his second - eight years after his first against the same opponent - put on 123 for the first wicket, though Sri Lanka's skipper survived three chances before reaching the milestone.

    The tourists were 204-2 in the 34th over when Karunaratne was finally dismissed and despite Mendis' fine contribution and Lahiru Thirimanne's 44 not out, a flurry of middle-order wickets prevented the final total from being greater.

    Scotland's reply was punctuated by the elements, though both Matthew Cross (55) and George Munsey (61) made half-centuries, and they lost their last seven wickets for just 46 runs having been forced off for 90 minutes due to rain.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.