Pant, Rayudu miss out on India's World Cup squad

By Sports Desk April 15, 2019

Rishabh Pant and Ambati Rayudu have missed out on India's Cricket World Cup squad, with Vijay Shankar set to receive a prominent role.

Pant is India's Test wicketkeeper but he has not been included in the ODI group travelling to England, with Dinesh Karthik preferred to play back-up to MS Dhoni.

And according to chief selector MSK Prasad, it was Pant's glovework that saw him miss out, with recent strong performances with the bat in the longest format not enough to secure a place.

"Wicketkeeping also matters," said Prasad. "That is the reason why we went with Dinesh Karthik, otherwise Rishabh Pant was also there."

The number four spot has been an issue for India of late, with Shankar set to compete with KL Rahul for the position.

Captain Virat Kohli had previously suggested Rayudu was in line to take up the role, but he has missed out on the squad completely.

"Since the Champions Trophy, we have tried quite a few middle-order batsmen, which also included Karthik, Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey," Prasad said.

"We did give a few more chances to Rayudu but Vijay Shankar gives three dimensions. He can bat, he can bowl if the conditions are overcast, plus he is a fielder.

"We are looking at Vijay Shankar as a number four. Now we have plenty of options for that slot."

The rest of the squad is as expected, with Kohli leading a group that includes Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah and Bhuvneshwar Kumar.

The ICC still allows teams to make changes to their final squads up until May 23.

 

India squad in full: Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Vijay Shankar, MS Dhoni, Kedar Jadhav, Dinesh Karthik, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammed Shami.

Related items

  • How Trevor Bayliss kept England focused for World Cup finals How Trevor Bayliss kept England focused for World Cup finals
  • Australia paper loses appeal against Gayle - must pay Windies star $200k Australia paper loses appeal against Gayle - must pay Windies star $200k

    An Australia court has thrown out an appeal by media group Fairfax, which would have annulled damages owed to Windies star Chris Gayle who won a defamation suit against the entity last year.

    Gayle took the publishers to court after allegations that he exposed himself to a female masseuse during the 2015 World Cup came out in several of its publications.  More specifically, it was alleged that the batsman exposed his penis and indecently propositioned the woman in a dressing room during the tournament.

    The jury sided with the player, who strongly denied the allegations, in finding that the publishers acted with malice and accorded the cricketer damages amounting to US$211,000.  In its appeal, however, Fairfax argued that the jury should have been discharged after Gayle’s attorney attacked the credibility of the masseuse.  In response, the player’s legal team had appealed to increase the size of the payout to the West Indian star. Both appeals were dismissed.

     Fairfax newspapers are now owned by commercial broadcaster Nine Entertainment, which purchased the media company last year.

  • Morgan's future depends on his drive and desire, says Strauss Morgan's future depends on his drive and desire, says Strauss

    Andrew Strauss believes Eoin Morgan will need to take time to consider his future as England's one-day captain in the wake of their Cricket World Cup triumph.

    Having been appointed as skipper shortly before a shambolic 2015 World Cup for England, Morgan has overseen a stunning turnaround in fortunes that culminated with Sunday's dramatic final victory over New Zealand at Lord's.

    A day on from that win, outgoing head coach Trevor Bayliss backed the middle-order batsman to lead the team in next year's ICC T20 World Cup, which will take place in Australia.

    Former England captain Strauss feels much will depend on whether Morgan - an ex-team-mate of his at Middlesex, as well as at international level - has the motivation to continue after achieving his primary goal.

    Strauss, who also served as managing director of England Cricket before stepping down in 2018, told Sky Sports: "There is no doubt that if he wants to carry on then he will have incredible support from his team-mates, from the ECB and from the nation.

    "All he needs to do is reflect and think about what's next for him and what's his motivation and drive and desire.

    "If he has got that motivation then 100 per cent carry on but if he hasn't then pause for thought, because the only reason that we won the World Cup is because he was so committed to what happened on Sunday. If that commitment is not there then it is a time for him to think."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.