Taylor says quiet apology to late Crowe after record-breaking knock

By Sports Desk March 11, 2019

Ross Taylor said a quiet apology to the late Martin Crowe after surpassing his record for Test hundreds by a New Zealand batsman.

Taylor scored his first century in the longest format since December 2017 on day four of the second Test against Bangladesh at Basin Reserve to finally take his overall total to 18.

The 35-year-old celebrated in an understated fashion despite the milestone set by former Black Caps skipper Crowe, who died in March 2016, having affected him mentally.

"I guess 17 was such a big number since when I started playing cricket, that when I got there it was probably a little bit of a relief," said Taylor after going on to record his third double-hundred in Tests.

"Then I didn't kick on – it was probably a little bit in my subconscious, and I must admit it played on my mind for a little bit as well.

"Before this [Test] I talked to our sports psychologist Pete [Sanford], and just acknowledged that it's always going to be there. It's nice now to knock it off.

"I just told [Crowe] my apologies for taking so long to get there."

Related items

  • 'Sorry for letting everyone down' – Boult apologetic after Black Caps' World Cup loss 'Sorry for letting everyone down' – Boult apologetic after Black Caps' World Cup loss

    Black Caps star Trent Boult said "sorry for letting everyone down" following New Zealand's heartbreaking loss to England in the Cricket World Cup final.

    New Zealand were agonisingly denied by England in a dramatic decider at Lord's on Sunday – the World Cup hosts prevailing due to their superior boundary count after a Super Over.

    Both New Zealand and England made 241 from 50 overs and 15 in the subsequent Super Over shoot-out as the latter prevailed by the smallest of margins for their maiden World Cup title.

    After arriving back in New Zealand on Thursday, paceman Boult told reporters: "It's been a long flight home but it [the defeat] probably hasn't sunk in yet.

    "I wish it would, so we can all get over it but it's one of those things that we probably won't get over for a long time."

    Boult added: "We've just been on a plane 15 hours and there were a lot of Kiwis saying 'we felt for you'. I didn't really know what to say.

    "Obviously, we're all hurting and we're sorry for letting everyone down. I just want to get home, walk my dog along the beach and try to forget about it but it's gonna be a hard one to swallow for the next couple of years."

    A Super Over was required at Lord's after an extraordinary moment of luck helped England during the closing stages of their run chase.

    Ben Stokes inadvertently deflected the ball to the boundary rope, meaning England were sensationally awarded six runs as he raced back to complete a second run with nine needed from three balls

    "It's natural to nitpick, to wonder about all those little things and how it could have been a totally different game," Boult said.

    "I've been living that last over in my mind a lot – somehow I got hit for six along the ground which has never happened before. To see the scores level [after the Super Over] and still lose, yeah, that was a pretty unique situation."

    Boult was involved in a heartbreaking moment of his own after taking a catch off England all-rounder Stokes, only to step on the boundary rope and concede six runs.

    "The priority in that situation is on the ball itself, so that was all I was worried about. It was silly of me not to know where the rope was. It was similar to the catch against the West Indies earlier in the tournament but they're quite quirky boundaries over there [at Lord's]. They're not circles, they're kind of octagons and squares and all sorts of things.

    "You can imagine the feeling when my left shoe hit the cushion and it was too late to throw the ball to Marty [Guptill]. There were probably 27,000 intoxicated Poms in there screaming as the ball went up, so I couldn't hear anything Marty was saying."

  • Windies bowling legend Roberts not a fan of Holder captaincy Windies bowling legend Roberts not a fan of Holder captaincy

    West Indies fast bowling legend Andy Roberts has blasted the captaincy of Jason Holder following a disappointing showing at the recently concluded ICC World Cup in England.

    The regional team was tipped by a few pundits and fans to be capable of causing issues for the more fancied teams at the tournament but failed to live up to expectations. 

    The same could be said for the 27-year-old Holder who headed into the tournament in a rich vein of form but failed to deliver a telling performance.  In his opinion, Roberts believes one of the biggest issues the team faced during the tournament was a lack of organisation and leadership.

    “I don’t think too much of Jason Holder’s captaincy. He speaks well, but in terms of tactics on the field, I think he is found wanting and I don’t think he has the backroom staff. They weren’t experienced enough to help him so you have to look at a number of reasons why we did not go further in the tournament,” Roberts said in a radio interview.

    “They had no plans because you had to have plan A, B, and then plan C; but their only plan was to bowl short and it showed throughout the entire tournament that they felt they could win based on the amount of – I can’t say fast bowlers – the amount of people they had with long run-ups and no head,” he added.

     

  • Dhoni to be dropped for India, Windies tour - reports Dhoni to be dropped for India, Windies tour - reports

    India legend Mahendra Singh Dhoni is not expected to travel to the Caribbean for the team’s tour against the West Indies.

    According to reports, the team has opted to groom new wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant after Dhoni came under criticism for his performance during the ICC World Cup.

    “MS [Dhoni] will not go to the West Indies,” a source with knowledge of the situation told Times Now News said.

    “Going forward, he will not travel with the team within India or overseas as the first-choice wicketkeeper. Rishabh Pant will take over and there will be a grooming window for him until he settles down,” he added.

    “During this time, MS will help in the transition. For all you know, he could be part of the 15 but not part of the 11. This team needs a guiding hand on multiple fronts and wishing MS away is clearly unhealthy.”

    The tour will include 3 T20 Internationals, 3 ODIs and 2 test matches in the Caribbean.   The tour kicks off with the T20 internationals on August 3 and carries on until September 3, which marks the fifth day of the second test match.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.