Bangladesh make solid start in Wellington

By Sports Desk March 10, 2019

Bangladesh enjoyed a decent start as the second Test against New Zealand finally got underway on Sunday, before rain cut short day three.

After no play was possible on the opening two days in Wellington, Bangladesh managed to make 211 at the Basin Reserve, having been put in to bat on a green wicket.

Tamim Iqbal (74) led their innings, while Neil Wagner (4-28) was the pick of the Black Caps' bowlers.

The tourists, who trail the three-Test series 1-0, removed the openers before the rain arrived again, stumps called after 72.4 overs were bowled and with New Zealand 38-2.

Ross Taylor (19) and Kane Williamson (10) will resume for the Black Caps on day four, their team trailing by 173 runs and with the possibility of a result slim.

Despite the green pitch, Tamim and Shadman Islam got Bangladesh off to a bright start as Trent Boult (3-38) and Tim Southee (1-52) struggled.

With his team needing a breakthrough, Colin de Grandhomme (1-15) delivered, Shadman (27) edging to Taylor at slip.

A ball after incorrectly being given out caught behind, Mominul Haque (15) fell after edging Wagner through to BJ Watling.

That would be the first of nine wickets to fall for 92 for Bangladesh, as Wagner did most of the damage against the top-order.

Liton Das (33) and Soumya Sarkar (20) chipped in with small contributions for the tourists, but they were unable to make the most of the platform set by Tamim and Shadman.

However, their bowlers made the most of the conditions, Abu Jayed (2-18) getting both openers.

Tom Latham (4) edged through to Das before Jeet Raval (3) picked out Sarkar at cover, Williamson and Taylor steadying New Zealand prior to the rain arriving.

Related items

  • Is there merit in Sir Viv's call to back Skerritt for CWI president? Is there merit in Sir Viv's call to back Skerritt for CWI president?

    The Zone team takes a closer look at Sir Viv Richards claim that electing Skerritt would bring respectability back to the post of CWI president. 

  • Pivac 'disappointed' with Edwards' comments Pivac 'disappointed' with Edwards' comments

    Wayne Pivac is "disappointed" Shaun Edwards suggested he was surplus to requirements with Wales and says there is no chance he will stay on as defence coach.

    Edwards last year agreed to take over as Wigan Warriors head coach when he finishes his commitments with Wales after the Rugby World Cup.

    It now appears the Wigan legend may not take up the role with the Super League champions after he stated that he will be "unemployed" following the World Cup, given he has not signed a contract with his hometown club.

    Edwards said after Wales sealed the Grand Slam on Saturday that he is open to offers, but a role on the Wales staff is out of the question as incoming head coach Pivac is "going in a different direction".

    Pivac confirmed he has secured a successor to Edwards, but says the Englishman was on the shortlist and the pair held talks. 

    He said: "We have finished the process and we have recruited a defence coach and that will come out in due course, hopefully not too much longer." 

    Pivac added: "Shaun has done a fantastic job - we all know that. He's a very, very good defence coach. Shaun was the first person I spoke with. He indicated early on he was under pressure from

    Wigan and that the timeline that was imposed on us were unrealistic.

    "I talked around a process we would be going through. That was pre-autumn and pre-Six Nations. Shaun signed with Wigan and that put paid to the discussions going any further.

    "Shaun knew he was on the shortlist, that he was the incumbent. We'd had a meeting and subsequent conversations.

    "We are a little bit disappointed that's come out over the weekend but we are certainly not going to let it detract from a great result at the weekend.

    "It's between Shaun and Wigan. I have no control over that. I only know about the discussions we had way back in August."

  • Special Wales can mount World Cup challenge - Gatland Special Wales can mount World Cup challenge - Gatland

    Warren Gatland believes Wales can mount a strong challenge to win the Rugby World Cup after their Grand Slam triumph.

    Gatland masterminded a clean sweep in his final Six Nations as head coach, a comfortable victory over Ireland on Saturday sealing the title.

    The New Zealander will end his long reign after the World Cup and he sees no reason why he cannot sign off in style in Japan.

    "I know that these guys won't go down in any match without a fight. We've got a very special group of players at the moment," said Gatland.

    "We enjoy each other's company, we challenge each other on a lot of things, but once we make a decision we back each other 100 per cent.

    "I promise you that these guys will give 100 per cent in every game at the World Cup."

    He added: "You need a little bit of luck and hopefully we don't pick up too many injuries.

    "We'll have a few months of preparation and as we have in the last few World Cups, we'll be one of the fittest teams, if not the fittest team there.

    "There's some real depth, some real competition in this squad and that makes it tough on us as coaches. There are quality players that will miss out on the 31-man squad and that will be incredibly tough.

    "I assure you that we'll go there with some confidence and belief that we can have a great World Cup."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.