Langer in tense exchange with reporter amid Maxwell questions

By Sports Desk January 10, 2019

Australia head coach Justin Langer was involved in a tense exchange with a reporter after being asked about Glenn Maxwell's ongoing absence from the Test team.

Out-of-favour all-rounder Maxwell was once again snubbed by Australia selectors, this time overlooked for the upcoming Test series against Sri Lanka.

Langer was asked about Maxwell – who has not played a Test since 2017 – on Thursday after claims the 30-year-old was told not to play county cricket on the basis he would be selected for an Australia A tour of India last year.

Maxwell, however, was not selected for that tour nor October's Test series against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates.

When Langer was quizzed by a reporter about the sequence of events and reports regarding the alleged advice given to Maxwell, the Australia boss reacted angrily.

"Are you certain that's what happened? Are you certain that's what happened?" Langer replied.

"Did it happen? You're telling me it did happen — did it happen? I'm asking, did it happen?

"I've got zero knowledge of that… Careless whispers, aye?"

Langer later apologised, saying: "Sorry for getting grumpy. I don't like getting grumpy, but there's so many stories that go around about so much stuff.

"Sorry for getting grumpy. We can talk about it after. The truth is a beautiful thing."

Maxwell has played in seven Tests for Australia since debuting in 2013 as the Victorian continues to be left in the red-ball wilderness.

"Glenn is crystal clear from me, and the selectors, what he needs to do to get back in the Test team. He is crystal clear," Langer said.

"He has shown he is brilliant around the group in white ball cricket. There have been some reports about personality — it is literally false. It's not true.

"He is crystal clear what he has to do, and that's important that he knows that and that I know that as the coach and one of the selectors, and all the conjecture about it, that's all part of the noise."

Related items

  • Hero CPL economic impact continues to grow - CPL Hero CPL economic impact continues to grow - CPL

    The economic impact of the Caribbean Premier League reporting on the countries hosting matches continues to see steady growth, according to figures released by the CPL on Thursday.

  • Wood replaces injured Stone in England squad Wood replaces injured Stone in England squad

    Mark Wood has been called up to the England Test squad for the series against West Indies as a replacement for fellow paceman Olly Stone.

  • Sri Lanka hopeful over Kusal Mendis finger injury Sri Lanka hopeful over Kusal Mendis finger injury

    Sri Lanka are hopeful Kusal Mendis will be fit for the first Test against Australia after suffering a finger injury on day one of their tour match in Hobart. 

    The batsman felt the force at short leg when Jake Doran played a sweep shot to a Dilruwan Perera delivery during the second session of play. 

    Kusal will go for a scan on the ring finger on his right hand on Friday, less than a week before the tourists start a two-match series against Australia at the Gabba. 

    Sri Lanka coach Chandika Hathurusingha said: "He can't hold the bat so hopefully in 24 hours' time we'll know more, 

    "He was in quite a lot of pain but now he's okay after icing it a couple of times." 

    Kurtis Patterson made 157 not out and Doran was unbeaten on 102 as a Cricket Australia XI declared on 316-5, with Sri Lanka 38 without loss at stumps in their opening tour match. 

    Hathurusingha was concerned to see Sri Lanka bowl 12 front-foot no balls. 

    "It's a big concern. We need to get that right because it's happened to us again," he said. 

    "The spinners also bowled no-balls in the England series and we got, I think, three wickets off no-balls so it's a big concern. We need to get it right soon." 

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.