Pietersen tells England to drop Broad and Jennings

By Sports Desk September 13, 2018

Kevin Pietersen has called for Stuart Broad to be dropped for England's tour of Sri Lanka, while blasting under-pressure opener Keaton Jennings. 

Broad took 16 wickets during England's 4-1 Test series win against India but they came at an average higher than his fellow pacemen.

Jennings, meanwhile, had a torrid time and scored just 163 runs in the series at an average of 18, though Alastair Cook's retirement could give the 26-year-old a stay of execution.

England are preparing to name their squad to face Sri Lanka, with a three-Test series starting on November 6, and Pietersen feels Broad and Jennings should not make the cut.

"Jennings can't bat, I'm sorry," Pietersen, who backs the expected selection of Surrey skipper Rory Burns and suggested Jason Roy as his opening partner, told talkSPORT.

"They are going to have to find somebody else. Cook is a big loss. I know he has been wishy-washy over the last couple of months but he finished on a fairytale ending, which is brilliant for him but to replace that kind of guy at the top of the order, it is going to be difficult.

"I just don't see county cricket producing Test cricketers at the moment. The issue is deep-rooted. All the best players in the world now are not playing county cricket. They are earning their cash in franchise cricket.

"Therefore, the standard of county cricket isn't great, the standard of county batsmen is poor, and it is causing a massive issue in cabs on the rank for batting places."

Broad and James Anderson are the most prolific pairing in England's history, but there has been speculation one or even both of the bowlers could be rested for the Sri Lanka tour.

And after Anderson surpassed Australia great Glenn McGrath to become the most successful pace bowler in terms of wickets in Test history, Pietersen said Broad should sit the series out.

"I would have dropped him last winter. He doesn't perform that well away from home," Pietersen added of Broad. 

"He had one good Ashes series and what he delivered for England in the big Ashes series last year was hopeless.

"I've been on tours of the sub-continent [with England], he doesn't like touring the sub-continent, so it wouldn't surprise me and it would be a very good move if they dropped him."

Pietersen confirmed his retirement from the sport in March, the 38-year-old having scored 8,181 runs in 104 Tests. He was named Player of the Series after leading England to the World Twenty20 title in 2010.

Related items

  • Windies bowling legend Roberts not a fan of Holder captaincy Windies bowling legend Roberts not a fan of Holder captaincy

    West Indies fast bowling legend Andy Roberts has blasted the captaincy of Jason Holder following a disappointing showing at the recently concluded ICC World Cup in England.

    The regional team was tipped by a few pundits and fans to be capable of causing issues for the more fancied teams at the tournament but failed to live up to expectations. 

    The same could be said for the 27-year-old Holder who headed into the tournament in a rich vein of form but failed to deliver a telling performance.  In his opinion, Roberts believes one of the biggest issues the team faced during the tournament was a lack of organisation and leadership.

    “I don’t think too much of Jason Holder’s captaincy. He speaks well, but in terms of tactics on the field, I think he is found wanting and I don’t think he has the backroom staff. They weren’t experienced enough to help him so you have to look at a number of reasons why we did not go further in the tournament,” Roberts said in a radio interview.

    “They had no plans because you had to have plan A, B, and then plan C; but their only plan was to bowl short and it showed throughout the entire tournament that they felt they could win based on the amount of – I can’t say fast bowlers – the amount of people they had with long run-ups and no head,” he added.

     

  • Dhoni to be dropped for India, Windies tour - reports Dhoni to be dropped for India, Windies tour - reports

    India legend Mahendra Singh Dhoni is not expected to travel to the Caribbean for the team’s tour against the West Indies.

    According to reports, the team has opted to groom new wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant after Dhoni came under criticism for his performance during the ICC World Cup.

    “MS [Dhoni] will not go to the West Indies,” a source with knowledge of the situation told Times Now News said.

    “Going forward, he will not travel with the team within India or overseas as the first-choice wicketkeeper. Rishabh Pant will take over and there will be a grooming window for him until he settles down,” he added.

    “During this time, MS will help in the transition. For all you know, he could be part of the 15 but not part of the 11. This team needs a guiding hand on multiple fronts and wishing MS away is clearly unhealthy.”

    The tour will include 3 T20 Internationals, 3 ODIs and 2 test matches in the Caribbean.   The tour kicks off with the T20 internationals on August 3 and carries on until September 3, which marks the fifth day of the second test match.

  • Etzebeth to skipper Boks as Elstadt and Herschel Jantjies make bows Etzebeth to skipper Boks as Elstadt and Herschel Jantjies make bows

    South Africa will be led by Eben Etzebeth against Australia in their Rugby Championship opener, with two Test debutants in the Springboks' XV.

    Rassie Erasmus' men are without captain Siya Kolisi for Saturday's clash in Johannesburg as he recovers from a knee injury, meaning Etzebeth instead skippers the side.

    Meanwhile, Rynhardt Elstadt and Herschel Jantjies come into the starting line-up for their bows.

    Elstadt joins Pieter-Steph du Toit and Francois Louw in the back row, with Jantjies alongside namesake Elton in a halfback combination.

    Lizo Gqoboka, also uncapped and named among the replacements, is in line to make his first appearance for South Africa from the bench.

    Erasmus said: "We are excited for the forthcoming year and I want to congratulate Rynhardt, Herschel and Lizo on their first inclusion in a Springbok match-day squad, while the leadership role is not something new for Eben.

    "The build-up has been good and there is definitely a very good vibe for match.

    "Australia have prepared very well for this match and they have spent two weeks at altitude to acclimatise to the Highveld, so we are in for a great contest."

    Aphiwe Dyantyi's absence due to a hamstring injury had already been confirmed.

     

    South Africa XV to face Australia: Warrick Gelant, Sbu Nkosi, Jesse Kriel, Andre Esterhuizen, Makazole Mapimpi, Elton Jantjies, Herschel Jantjies; Tendai Mtawarira, Bongi Mbonambi, Trevor Nyakane, Eben Etzebeth, Lood de Jager, Rynhardt Elstadt, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Francois Louw.

    Replacements: Schalk Brits, Lizo Gqoboka, Vincent Koch, Marvin Orie, Marcell Coetzee, Cobus Reinach, Frans Steyn, Dillyn Leyds.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.