Shehzad provisionally suspended by PCB

By Sports Desk July 10, 2018

Ahmed Shehzad has been charged and provisionally suspended by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) after failing a doping test.

Shehzad provided an adverse sample in a test in Faisalabad during the Pakistan Cup.

The PCB issued a charge sheet to the batsman on Tuesday, giving him until July 18 to advise whether he wants his B sample to be tested and until July 27 to respond to the charges.

A PCB statement read: "Under the Pakistan Cricket Board's anti-doping rules, the PCB conducted in-competition doping testing through an independent collecting agency during the Pakistan Cup 2018 held in Faisalabad. Among others, the urine sample of Ahmed Shehzad cricketer was collected on May 3, 2018.

"The sample was forwarded to a WADA-accredited [World Anti-Doping Agency] laboratory for analysis which, through its analytical report, gave an adverse analytical finding for the presence of a prohibited substance. The PCB received the analytical report on June 11, 2018. 

"On June 12, 2018 the PCB requested Anti-Doping Agency of Pakistan to constitute an independent review board and give their finding on whether a valid therapeutic use exemption existed and/or whether there had been a departure from the international standards of testing.

"This required the review panel to examine the lab pack and they thus wrote to the WADA-accredited laboratory requesting the same. The WADA-accredited laboratory submitted the lab pack to the review panel earlier this week.

"Upon receipt of the findings from the review board [on Tuesday], the PCB has issued and handed over a notice of charge to Ahmed Shehzad.

"He has been given until July 18, 2018 to advise whether he wishes to have his B sample tested and until July 27, 2018 to respond to the charges levelled in the notice of charge.

"The PCB has also provisionally suspended Ahmed Shehzad pending the outcome of the charges."

Related items

  • President never asked for a raise – CWI President never asked for a raise – CWI

    A Cricket West Indies (CWI) press release has refuted claims in an ESPN Cricinfo article that its president, Dave Cameron, asked for an increase in his monthly expenses and that this is exorbitant. 

  • CWI clears the air over Phil Simmons sacking, ‘negotiations’ CWI clears the air over Phil Simmons sacking, ‘negotiations’

    With a Cricket West Indies (CWI) election just about a week away, the Dave Cameron-led organization is having to clear the air over the sacking of former coach Phil Simmons. 

  • Hall: CSA must avoid exodus of Kolpak youngsters Hall: CSA must avoid exodus of Kolpak youngsters

    Andrew Hall says Cricket South Africa (CSA) must let young players know how highly they are regarded to prevent the cream of the crop from signing Kolpak deals.

    The Proteas were rocked last month when seamer Duanne Olivier turned his back on his country to sign a three-year deal with Yorkshire.

    Kyle Abbott and Rilee Rossouw are among the other South Africa internationals who have signed Kolpak deals, while Morne Morkel joined Surrey after ending his Proteas career.

    Former South Africa all-rounder Hall expects more to follow, but wants CSA to do everything in its powers to stop promising talent from slipping through the net.

    He told Omnisport: "It's a tough one. It's more prevelant to the younger players who are coming through the system. 

    "Cricket South Africa must earmark players and have open, honest conversations with them to let them know they have been identified and are being watched.

    "They must be encouraged to keep playing and earn a place. There are times when you can't get into the side because of the players who are already established.

    "I think back to having to compete with Jacques Kallis, Shaun Pollock and Lance Klusener - three world-class all-rounders - so it was difficult to get into that side and you have to keep working at it.

    "But I was spoken to by the people in charge and told I was next in line. It gives you reassurances and that must happen now as the young players coming through are the ones, on the whole, who are going to be targeted."

    Hall can understand why Olivier opted to ply his trade in county cricket.

    He said of the 26-year-old's move to Headingley: "I would imagine that contract would have been signed last year, I don't think it's the type of thing that at the back end of him doing exceptionally well in the Tests, he'd say 'I'm just going to go and sign a Kolpak deal'.

    "I think it was done prior to him having this good run of form where he's played in the system in South Africa [and] done well, he felt he's not going to get given a long run in Test cricket so because of that he signed a Kolpak deal.

    "He's got to think of his future and we all know you only get a limited amount of time, so in his position he'll know he will be well looked after at Yorkshire.

    "He could end up being there for the next five or 10 years. It's a catch 22 situation for him, but I would imagine with the money being talked of that he was offered, he would not make that in international cricket."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.