A maiden hundred from rookie tail-ender Terrance Hinds combined with a destructive spell from left-arm spinner Akeal Hosein put hosts Trinidad & Tobago on the brink of victory over Leeward Islands Hurricanes in the West Indies Championship on Saturday.

Trinidadian sprinter Michelle-Lee Ahye is to be stripped of medals and earnings won during the period when she committed whereabouts violations, which resulted in a two-year ban.

The 2018 Commonwealth 100m gold medallist Michelle-Lee Ahye has been banned for two years after failing to notify doping testers of her whereabouts.

Head coach of the Trinidad Tobago senior football team, Terry Fenwick, believes his experience in the T&T Pro League will serve him well as he attempts to turn around the flagging fortunes of the twin-island republic.

Fenwick was offered a two-year deal by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association’s Technical Committee earlier this week but must show improvement for that to be increased to four years.

According to the former England defender, who had successful stints with San Juan Jabloteh and Central FC in the T&T Pro League, his experience with the very players who now make up the national squad makes his transition to head coach much easier.

“I know most of the players relatively well and, having been here as long as I have, I know the strengths and weaknesses of Trinidad and Tobago football,” Fenwick told Trinidad and Tobago online news entity, Wired868.

According to Fenwick though, he cannot achieve success without support.

“I will try to tailor my plans to their strengths to bring quick success. I need support around me and I welcome the public’s support to help lift our football back to where it should be.”

Where the Soca Warriors should be and where they are, is a gargantuan distance as Fenwick’s predecessor, Dennis Lawrence, oversaw a period where the team won one of 15 games in the last calendar year, failing to take three points from a competitive fixture since a 2-1 win over the United States all the way back in October of 2017.

But Fenwick believes he has attributes that counteract that slide from grace.

“I’m organised, I’m structured and players know exactly what they have to do in my system,” he said.

“I’m also very flexible tactically and I’m able to change formations during matches and I’ve demonstrated that over the years. I demand plenty from my players.

“We might not have the Dwight Yorkes and Russell Latapys of yesteryear but we have still got lots of quality, particularly in terms of the defenders we have produced over the last 10 years.”

That quality will be called into question as early as March where Fenwick will have to lead the Soca Warriors into friendlies during the FIFA international window in a bid to get them ready for a CONCACAF Gold Cup playoff qualification tie against either Barbados or Guyana in June.

Jamaica’s Sunshine Girls will end 2019 as the number-four ranked netball in the world.

Trinidad and Tobago footballer Shahdon Winchester was among four persons who died Thursday morning in a traffic accident in Gasparillo in Southern Trinidad.

Jereem Richards, the 2017 200-metre bronze medallist said he plans to use the disappointments of his 2019 season to spur him onto success next season.

Former Trinidad and Tobago coach Stephen Hart said he was happy with Tuesday’s High Court TT$5million ruling because he felt cheated by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association, who fired him from his head coaching job after three and half years in charge and at a critical stage of the 2018 World Cup campaign.

The TTFA fired Hart in November 2016 during the Hexagonal Round of the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign after the national team suffered consecutive losses to Costa Rica and Honduras.

Many, including Hart, saw the dismissal as unjust given that the head coach had led the team to knockout stages of the 2013 campaign and 2015 Gold Cup competitions. TT topped their Gold Cup group in 2015.

 During his 43-match tenure in charge of TT Hart had a record of 16 wins, 12 draws and 15 losses.

 He sued the TTFA citing wrongful dismissal a claim that the association did not contest. On Tuesday, Justice Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell, in a default judgement ordered the TTFA to pay the Canada-based coach $5million (approximately USD$739,000).

 “Obviously, I am pleased with the court ruling. It was, in my view, so unnecessary, mainly because I thought that at least I should have been given the opportunity to finish what we started. My staff and myself had worked very hard to bring the team to a certain point; we were already in the Hex, and of course, we were not allowed to do so,” Hart told Sportsmax.TV on Friday from his home in Canada, where he now serves as General Manager of HFX Wanderers in the Canadian Premier League.

 “Winning a judgment is one thing and collecting is something else completely, but really and truly it was not about the money, it was about doing a job for Trinidad and Tobago football, trying to bring some joy back to the game and the people who love the game and I just felt a little bit cheated out of that.”

Guyana Jaguars pacer Ronsford Beaton has been suspended with immediate effect from West Indies domestic matches for an illegal bowling action, Cricket West Indies has confirmed.

The bowler's action was determined to be illegal in an Opinion Report by an Independent Assessor at Loughborough University.

The assessment revealed that Beaton’s deliveries exceeded the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under playing regulations.

Beaton will remain suspended until such time as his action is found to be legal, either by an Opinion Report from Loughborough University or by an independent analysis from an accredited testing centre, in accordance with the CWI Regulations for Dealing with Suspected Illegal Bowling Actions.

He is expected to undergo remedial work supervised by the Jaguars franchise and can apply for a reassessment after modifying his bowling action in accordance with the Regulations.

The 27-year-old Beaton was reported for a suspect bowling action during the Jaguars’ game against the United States last Monday in the Colonial Medical Insurance Super50 Cup.

Beaton’s action was cited by match officials after he bowled eight overs for figures of 0-37 during the game at the Queen’s Park Oval, which the Jaguars won by 13 runs.

This is the second time that Beaton has been suspended for an illegal bowling action.

He was suspended from bowling after being reported during an ODI against New Zealand on December 24, 2017. Then in August 2018, the ICC ruled that he could return to playing international cricket after his remodelled bowling action was assessed at Loughborough University in England on August 13, 2018, where it was revealed that the amount of elbow extension for all his deliveries was within the 15-degree level of tolerance permitted under the ICC Illegal Bowling Regulations.

 

 

 

FIFA president Gianni Infantino did not mince words in reference to former FIFA vice president Jack Warner, insisting he had very little regard for the embattled official.

Infantino was recently in Trinidad and Tobago for the opening ceremony of a new hotel at the home of football in Couva.

“A very instrumental, negative figure for football, unfortunately,” was the FIFA President’s blunt assessment of Warner’s legacy when asked by the local media.

“I don’t need to say anything about that.  The courts have spoken about that and will continue to speak about that," he added.

Warner, who was also a former CONCACAF president and special advisor to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF), was banned from the sport for life in 2015, in light of his alleged involvement in money laundering and wire fraud.  Warner is currently battling extradition to the United States.  In 2015, the former government minister was one of several other FIFA officials arrested in Zurich before the annual FIFA Congress. 

Earlier this year a United States court ruled that Warner should repay US$79 million that he had fraudulently obtained from CONCACAF.

A third half-century of the tournament from Barbados all-rounder Justin Greaves (53) and a solid death-overs bowling effort from Jamaican medium-pacer Jermaine Levy (3 for 40), were the cornerstones behind the West Indies Emerging players one-run win over Guyana Jaguars at the Queens Park Oval.

West Indies Women’s captain, Stafanie Taylor said she is eagerly anticipating playing in the 2019 edition of the Courts Women’s T20 Grand Slam Franchise Tournament in Trinidad and Tobago.

Trinidad and Tobago athlete Quincy Wilson is suing the National Association of Athletic Associations over what he claims is the association’s negligence which caused him to become injured thereby losing the ability to earn, to train and prepare for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.

The suit was filed in Trinidad and Tobago's High Court of Justice on Monday. Dr Emir Crowne, Matthew Gayle, Crys­tal Paul, and Ja­son Jones are representing the disaffected athlete.

The 28-year-old Wilson is an eight-time national champion and holds the national record of 59.65m. He has also represented Trinidad and Tobago at the CARIFTA Games and in 2011 won a bronze medal at the NACAC U23 Championships in Mexico.

In late July, on or about the 28th, Wilson was competing at the national championships. He stepped into the ring and executed two throws. Two other throws were fouls. However, on his fifth throw, he slipped and fell.

According to court documents obtained by Sportsmax.TV, Wilson suffered shock and severe pain, a meniscal tear in his right knee, pain in both knees. He subsequently experienced psychological damage, mental anguish and a loss of quality of life.

Wilson claims his subsequent inability to train has affected his mood and personality, and he is unable to carry out his household chores and his responsibilities as a husband and father.

He blames the NAAA in that they or their employees painted or covered the discus circle with the wrong substance making it slippery. He also claims that the NAAA failed to ensure that the discus circle was at the requisite standard of safety and that they failed to inspect the circle prior to his accident.

Wilson also claims, among other things, that the NAAA failed to use a certified IAAF official to inspect the circle.

As a result, he wants the NAAA to pay for or facilitate his rehabilitation, cover his lost wages. He is also seeking compensation for the loss of opportunity to compete professionally and possibly attracting sponsors.

Jamaica’s men’s and women’s 4x400m relay teams refused to come away from the Doha World Championships empty-handed after battling to win silver and bronze medals, respectively, as the event ended on Sunday.

Mexico defeated Trinidad and Tobago 2-0 in an international friendly thanks to debutants Jose Juan Macias and Jesus Ricardo Angulo.

Macias and Angulo capped their international bows with first-half goals at Estadio Nemesio Diez on Wednesday.

It was a return to winning ways for Mexico, who were routed 4-0 by Argentina in San Antonio last month.

Mexico head coach Gerardo Martino named an inexperienced line-up for the game, with eight debutants included in the starting XI – Raul Gudino, Erick Aguirre and Jesus Alberto Angulo were all earning their fourth caps.

Macias – making his first appearance for Mexico – opened the scoring in the 23rd minute in Toluca.

The 20-year-old dispossessed Trinidad on the half-way line before charging towards goal and firing low past Marvin Philipp.

Fellow debutant Jesus Ricardo Angulo doubled the lead eight minutes later when the 22-year-old's shot deflected beyond Philipp.

It was Mexico's 12th victory in 13 games under Martino as Trinidad and Tobago's winless streak extended to 11 matches.

Page 1 of 8
© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.