Former athletics chief Diack jailed for corruption

By Sports Desk September 16, 2020

Lamine Diack, the former head of athletics' world governing body, has been found guilty of corruption and sentenced to four years in prison, two of them suspended.

The 87-year-old, who was facing trial in France, was convicted of accepting bribes from Russian athletes suspected of doping to cover up test results and letting them continue to compete, including at the 2012 Olympics in London and the 2013 World Championships in Moscow. 

The Senegalese, who has been under house arrest in Paris since November 2015, was also given a maximum fine of €500,000.

Prosecutors alleged that Diack, who led World Athletics - previously known as the IAAF - between 1999 and 2015, directly or indirectly solicited £3.1million from athletes to conceal their offences so they could continue competing. 

It was also alleged that Diack was involved in a $1.5m payment from Russia to finance presidential and legislative election campaigns in Senegal in 2012, in exchange for slowing down doping cases targeting Russian athletes.

The judge, Rose-Marie Hunault, said his actions had "undermined the values of athletics and the fight against doping".

Diack's lawyers are appealing against the judgement.

The court also handed guilty verdicts to five other people, including Diack's son, Papa Massata Diack, who worked as an IAAF marketing consultant. The judge said $15m was funnelled to the younger Diack's companies while his father was in charge of the IAAF.

Related items

  • I would have signed Usain Bolt instead!  Ancelotti not concerned by James' lack of pace I would have signed Usain Bolt instead! Ancelotti not concerned by James' lack of pace

    Carlo Ancelotti is not concerned by new signing James Rodriguez's lack of pace and physicality, joking he would have signed sprinter Usain Bolt instead if that was a priority.

    The Colombia playmaker impressed for Everton in Sunday's 1-0 win over Tottenham alongside fellow debutants Allan and Abdoulaye Doucoure.

    James played five key passes, more than any other player on the field at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, and also topped the charts with four interceptions.

    Asked after the game if he was worried James needs time to adapt to the pace of the Premier League, Ancelotti quipped eight-time Olympic gold medallist who dabbled with football in retirement would have been on his radar if that was the case.

    "I am not worried about the physicality. If I was worried about that I would sign Usain Bolt, not James," he told Sky Sports.

    "James is not the fastest player in the world but he has a lot of quality. We have to use him to show his quality. 

    "He is not a winger, but he can come inside and receive the ball, he is very dangerous.

  • Coronavirus: Chicago Marathon cancelled over COVID-19 concerns Coronavirus: Chicago Marathon cancelled over COVID-19 concerns

    The 2020 Chicago Marathon has been cancelled due to ongoing health concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic, organisers announced on Monday. 

    The annual event, which was scheduled for October 11, is the third major marathon in the United States to be called off amid the COVID-19 outbreak.

    The New York Marathon previously cancelled its planned November 1 running and the Boston Marathon was postponed from April 20 to September 14 before ultimately being shelved. 

    Chicago's marathon generally attracts approximately 45,000 participants and more than one million spectators. 

    "Like all Chicagoans, I'm personally disappointed that this year's event won't take place as originally planned," Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said in a statement.

    "However, we look forward to welcoming all runners and their cheering squads once again when the Chicago Marathon returns to our city in full force for another very exciting race." 

    Event organisers said all registered participants for the 2020 race can either have their entry fee refunded or used for the 2021, 2022 or 2023 editions.  

  • Coronavirus: New York City Marathon cancelled due to pandemic Coronavirus: New York City Marathon cancelled due to pandemic

    The 2020 New York City Marathon has been cancelled due to concerns around the coronavirus pandemic.

    Organisers said on Wednesday the decision had been made because of "coronavirus-related health and safety concerns for runners, spectators, volunteers, staff, and the many partners and communities that support the event".

    The race, which was due to be held on November 1, is considered to be the world's largest marathon and saw nearly 54,000 competitors complete the 26.2-mile event last year.

    It is only the second time it has been cancelled in its 50-year history, the previous instance caused by hurricane Sandy in 2012.

    Last month, the Boston Marathon was cancelled after initially being pushed back from April 20 to September 14.

    There have been more than 2.4million confirmed COVID-19 cases in the United States and over 123,500 people to test positive for the virus have died, making it one of the worst-affected countries.

    President Donald Trump has suggested those figures are inflated by the number of tests carried out across the country, although the USA's top infectious diseases expert, Dr Anthony Fauci, says there has been a "disturbing surge" in confirmed cases across several states.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.