Coronavirus: New York City Marathon cancelled due to pandemic

By Sports Desk June 24, 2020

The 2020 New York City Marathon has been cancelled due to concerns around the coronavirus pandemic.

Organisers said on Wednesday the decision had been made because of "coronavirus-related health and safety concerns for runners, spectators, volunteers, staff, and the many partners and communities that support the event".

The race, which was due to be held on November 1, is considered to be the world's largest marathon and saw nearly 54,000 competitors complete the 26.2-mile event last year.

It is only the second time it has been cancelled in its 50-year history, the previous instance caused by hurricane Sandy in 2012.

Last month, the Boston Marathon was cancelled after initially being pushed back from April 20 to September 14.

There have been more than 2.4million confirmed COVID-19 cases in the United States and over 123,500 people to test positive for the virus have died, making it one of the worst-affected countries.

President Donald Trump has suggested those figures are inflated by the number of tests carried out across the country, although the USA's top infectious diseases expert, Dr Anthony Fauci, says there has been a "disturbing surge" in confirmed cases across several states.

Related items

  • England men accept 15 per cent pay cut due to coronavirus impact on ECB England men accept 15 per cent pay cut due to coronavirus impact on ECB

    England men's cricketers have accepted a 15 per cent reduction in pay over the next 12 months as part of cost-cutting measures brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.

    The England and Wales Cricket board (ECB) said on Friday that it had reached an agreement with the Team England Player Partnership (TEPP), which will see centrally contracted players take a reduction in retainers, match fees and win bonuses from October 1.

    The ECB said the measures are needed due to the "substantial shortfall" in its income caused by COVID-19, with losses expected to exceed £100million in 2020.

    Ashley Giles, managing director of England Men's Cricket, said: "I would like to thank the players and TEPP for their collaboration, which has enabled us to reach this agreement.

    "The relationship with our men's players and their representatives (TEPP) is strong, and we need to recognise that our players, led by captains Joe Root and Eoin Morgan, have conducted themselves with great maturity and responsibility throughout this challenging time.

    "We now want to build on this agreement and work together on a number of areas relating to player welfare, particularly mental health, which remains a high priority for all of us, as we continue to navigate a path through this pandemic."

    Richard Bevan, chairman of the TEPP, added: "These are unprecedented times and once again the players have shown that they fully appreciate the important role they play in helping cricket emerge from this pandemic in as strong a position as possible. In agreeing to this revised remuneration package, they have shown great responsibility and unity with the wider game.

    "TEPP would like to place on record our appreciation to the ECB for their cooperative approach in agreeing a way forward throughout these challenging circumstances."

    Last month, chief executive Tom Harrison said the ECB would be cutting 62 jobs as part of essential steps to help "safeguard cricket's long-term future", with potential losses feared to rise towards £200m next year.

     

  • Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test

    Former world number one Adam Scott will miss the Zozo Championship this week after testing positive for coronavirus.

    It was announced on the eve of the tournament at the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California, that Scott has returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The 2013 Masters champion is self-isolating and will be replaced in the field for the PGA Tour event by Jim Herman.

    "While it’s difficult news to receive – as I really looked forward to playing this week – my focus now is on recovery for the final stretch of the fall," Scott said

    The Australian has won 14 PGA Tour titles, most recently at the Genesis Invitational in February.

  • This is not politics, this is humanity – Rashford calls on UK government to help combat child food poverty This is not politics, this is humanity – Rashford calls on UK government to help combat child food poverty

    Marcus Rashford has urged the British government to work alongside organisations combatting child food poverty in the United Kingdom, after a petition to provide free school meals during school holidays was voted down.

    In June, the Manchester United and England star successfully lobbied the government to extend its policy of providing free school meals for underprivileged children outside term time, with the financial impact of COVID-19 also a major concern.

    With areas of the United Kingdom going into localised lockdowns, Rashford – who was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours – last week launched an online petition calling on the UK government to carry on providing free school meals through to Easter 2021.

    However, the motion was voted down in parliament on Wednesday.

    Following the news, Rashford vowed to continue to lead the campaign, while also calling on the government to reconsider their position.

    "Put aside all the noise, the digs, the party politics and let's focus on the reality. A significant number of children are going to bed tonight not only hungry but feeling like they do not matter because of comments that have been made today," the 22-year-old wrote in a post on his official Twitter account.

    "We must stop stigmatising, judging and pointing fingers. Our views are being clouded by political affiliation. This is not politics, this is humanity.

    "We talk about the devastating impact of COVID-19 but, if projections are anything to go by, child food poverty has the potential to become the greatest pandemic the country has ever faced.

    "We must start working together and unite to protect our most vulnerable children. No more sticking plasters.

    "Following private and public approaches, I once again invite Number 10 to sit around the table with the Taskforce so that, together, we can collaborate on how best to combat child food poverty in the UK.

    "These children are the future of this country. They are not just another statistic. And for as long as they don't have a voice, they will have mine."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.