Kipsang handed provisional suspension for alleged anti-doping rule violations

By Sports Desk January 10, 2020

Kenyan marathon runner Wilson Kipsang has been handed a provisional suspension for alleged anti-doping rule violations, the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) announced on Friday.

The former world record holder has been issued with a notice of charge for whereabouts failures and tampering or attempted tampering, the AIU said on its website.

Under World Athletics anti-doping rules, athletes must inform testing authorities of their whereabouts for one hour of every day. Three missed tests and/or filing failures within a 12-month period results in an automatic ban.

Kipsang has triumphed at four of the six major marathons, winning twice in London along with successes in Berlin, New York and Tokyo.

The 37-year-old won the bronze medal at the 2012 Olympics but withdrew from contention for the 2016 Rio Games.

Related items

  • Mo Farah gives WADA go-ahead to retest doping test samples Mo Farah gives WADA go-ahead to retest doping test samples

    Four-time Olympic gold medallist Mo Farah insists he would have no problem with any samples he has provided in doping tests being retested.

    The British long-distance runner has for years had to contend with questions and insinuations surrounding his long association with the now-banned American coach Alberto Salazar.

    Farah has always denied any wrongdoing and has never failed a drugs test, with the 36-year-old often running and winning under added pressure because of the focus that has been trained upon him.

    Former World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) president Sir Craig Reedie, speaking while in office last year, signalled proposals that could see experts conduct new tests on old samples of the many athletes who worked with the disgraced Salazar.

    Salazar strenuously denied breaking the rules but was found by the United States Anti Doping Agency (USADA) last year to have committed three violations associated with "orchestrating and facilitating prohibited doping conduct".

    He received a four-year ban, with Nike then closing the Oregon Project training group that he led. Salazar has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport against the punishment.

    It emerged last weekend that UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) intended to prevent previous samples provided by Farah or any athlete from being re-examined, unless "credible evidence" could be provided that pointed to the use of banned substances.

    UKAD president Nicola Sapstead voiced concern that old samples could be damaged by being released for fresh testing; however, the Russian Anti-Doping Agency - no stranger to controversy - has urged the British authority to drop its reluctance.

    Farah has been a bystander during this exchange of views, but the six-time world champion would be open to his samples being looked at again.

    That is a point he also made in the immediate wake of Salazar being banned.

    Farah wrote on Twitter: "I've seen reports of my name in connection to UKAD and WADA about sample retesting.

    "Just to be clear, I was not consulted about this and as I've said many times, I am happy for any anti-doping body to test any of my previous samples anytime."

  • CAS confirms Salazar appeal against four-year athletics ban CAS confirms Salazar appeal against four-year athletics ban

    Alberto Salazar has formally lodged an appeal against his four-year ban from athletics to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the ruling body has confirmed.

    Salazar, along with Dr Jeffrey Brown, received a hefty suspension after being found guilty of possessing and trafficking banned substances by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA)

    Following news of Salazar's ban, Nike closed down the 61-year-old's Oregon Project, while the World Anti-Doping Agency and UK Anti-Doping Agency have confirmed athletes formerly coached by the American - including 2012 and 2016 Olympic gold medallist Mo Farah - are set to be investigated.

    Salazar previously stated he would be appealing the ban, and CAS has now announced two cases have been opened, though it appears the hearings will not go ahead until March 2020 at the earliest.

    "CAS has registered the appeals filed by Mr Alberto Salazar and Dr Jeffrey Brown against USADA in relation to the decisions rendered by the American Arbitration Association, North American Court of Arbitration for Sport Panel on 30 September 2019 and 7 October 2019 respectively, in which they were found to have committed anti-doping rule violations and sanctioned with a four-year period of ineligibility," a statement read.

    "Two CAS arbitration procedures have been opened. The parties have requested additional time to file their written submissions and evidence.

    "Accordingly, at this stage, it appears that the hearings in these two matters are unlikely to take place before March 2020."

  • Salazar-trained British athletes face UKAD scrutiny Salazar-trained British athletes face UKAD scrutiny

    UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) says it will review whether any action is required against British athletes who were trained by the now banned coach Alberto Salazar.

    The organisation released a statement on Tuesday after the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) announced that it would investigate Salazar's former pupils.

    Salazar was banned from coaching during the World Athletics Championships in Doha, after he – along with Dr Jeffrey Brown – was found guilty of possessing and trafficking banned substances after a four-year investigation by the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

    The verdict preceded Salazar's Nike Oregon Project being shut down, though the 61-year-old stated he will appeal his four-year ban.

    Farah, who Salazar helped become the most successful British track athlete in modern Olympic Games history, claimed in October that there was an "agenda" against him after he was questioned over his former coach's actions.

    But he will be one of the athletes to come under the spotlight of UKAD's review.

    "We have been working with USADA on their investigation into the Nike Oregon Project and will work with WADA on their investigation if there is any evidence that relates to athletes or athlete support personnel under our jurisdiction," UKAD chief executive Nicole Sapstead said in a statement.

    "We are reviewing the decision regarding Alberto Salazar to determine if there is any action we may wish to take as a national anti-doping organisation."

    Farah has always maintained his innocence and has not been found guilty of any wrongdoing. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.