Kosgei smashes Radcliffe's marathon record in Chicago triumph

By Sports Desk October 13, 2019

Brigid Kosgei smashed Paula Radcliffe's world record as the Kenyan star became the quickest woman to run a marathon in Chicago on Sunday.

Radcliffe's time of two hours, 15 minutes 25 seconds stood for 16 years, but Kosgei eclipsed the Briton's effort in monumental style on Sunday as she successfully defended her Chicago title.

A day after Eliud Kipchoge became the first person to run a marathon in under two hours, Kosgei recorded a remarkable time of 2:14:04 to shatter Radcliffe's record by 71 seconds.

The 25-year-old - the youngest winner of the London Marathon - was congratulated by Radcliffe at the finish line as her sensational year reached new heights.

Ababel Yeshaneh came second with a personal best of 2:20:51, almost seven minutes behind Kosgei, with fellow Ethiopian Gelete Burka completing the top three.

"I'm feeling good, happy, I was not expecting to run like this," Kosgei said. "The course was good - a little bit of wind, which pushed us a bit, but it was okay."

Kosgei's incredible run completed a supreme double for Kenya, with Lawrence Cherono winning the men's race.

Ethiopia's Dejene Debela looked well placed to clinch victory when he made a break for the line in the last kilometre, but he went too early.

Cherono took full advantage, driving clear in the final stretch to cross the line with the clock on 2:05:45. Asefa Mengstu came third.

However, it was a frustrating day for 2018 champion Mo Farah, who recorded his worst marathon run in six races at the culmination of a difficult week.

Farah - who accused the media of having a "clear agenda" against him when he was questioned over the conduct of his former coach Alberto Salazar, who has been banned for four years after being found guilty of doping violations - completed the race in eighth with a time of 2:09:58.

Related items

  • CAS confirms Salazar appeal against four-year athletics ban CAS confirms Salazar appeal against four-year athletics ban

    Alberto Salazar has formally lodged an appeal against his four-year ban from athletics to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the ruling body has confirmed.

    Salazar, along with Dr Jeffrey Brown, received a hefty suspension after being found guilty of possessing and trafficking banned substances by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA)

    Following news of Salazar's ban, Nike closed down the 61-year-old's Oregon Project, while the World Anti-Doping Agency and UK Anti-Doping Agency have confirmed athletes formerly coached by the American - including 2012 and 2016 Olympic gold medallist Mo Farah - are set to be investigated.

    Salazar previously stated he would be appealing the ban, and CAS has now announced two cases have been opened, though it appears the hearings will not go ahead until March 2020 at the earliest.

    "CAS has registered the appeals filed by Mr Alberto Salazar and Dr Jeffrey Brown against USADA in relation to the decisions rendered by the American Arbitration Association, North American Court of Arbitration for Sport Panel on 30 September 2019 and 7 October 2019 respectively, in which they were found to have committed anti-doping rule violations and sanctioned with a four-year period of ineligibility," a statement read.

    "Two CAS arbitration procedures have been opened. The parties have requested additional time to file their written submissions and evidence.

    "Accordingly, at this stage, it appears that the hearings in these two matters are unlikely to take place before March 2020."

  • Salazar-trained British athletes face UKAD scrutiny Salazar-trained British athletes face UKAD scrutiny

    UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) says it will review whether any action is required against British athletes who were trained by the now banned coach Alberto Salazar.

    The organisation released a statement on Tuesday after the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) announced that it would investigate Salazar's former pupils.

    Salazar was banned from coaching during the World Athletics Championships in Doha, after he – along with Dr Jeffrey Brown – was found guilty of possessing and trafficking banned substances after a four-year investigation by the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

    The verdict preceded Salazar's Nike Oregon Project being shut down, though the 61-year-old stated he will appeal his four-year ban.

    Farah, who Salazar helped become the most successful British track athlete in modern Olympic Games history, claimed in October that there was an "agenda" against him after he was questioned over his former coach's actions.

    But he will be one of the athletes to come under the spotlight of UKAD's review.

    "We have been working with USADA on their investigation into the Nike Oregon Project and will work with WADA on their investigation if there is any evidence that relates to athletes or athlete support personnel under our jurisdiction," UKAD chief executive Nicole Sapstead said in a statement.

    "We are reviewing the decision regarding Alberto Salazar to determine if there is any action we may wish to take as a national anti-doping organisation."

    Farah has always maintained his innocence and has not been found guilty of any wrongdoing. 

  • Mo Farah and other Salazar athletes set to be investigated by WADA Mo Farah and other Salazar athletes set to be investigated by WADA

    Mo Farah and other athletes who trained under Alberto Salazar are to be investigated by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

    Salazar was banned from coaching during the World Athletics Championships in Doha, after he – along with Dr Jeffrey Brown – were found guilty of possessing and trafficking banned substances after a four-year investigation by the US Anti-Doping Agency.

    The verdict resulted in Salazar's Nike Oregon Project being shut down, though the 61-year-old stated he will appeal his four-year ban.

    Farah, who Salazar helped become the most successful British track athlete in modern Olympic Games history, claimed in October that there was an "agenda" against him after he was questioned over his former coach's actions.

    However, Farah – along with athletes who previously worked with Salazar – will now be scrutinised by WADA, according to its president Craig Reedie.

    "The clear question is did any of the allegations concerning Salazar and his operations result in athletes cheating themselves, which might have influenced their performance and might have involved the winning of competitions," Reedie told BBC Sport.

    "We need to look at that and we will."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.