Shanieka Ricketts' right approach yields 2019 Diamond League title

By August 29, 2019

Finding the right approach at the right time helped propel Shanieka Ricketts to her first Diamond League win and with it the 2019 Diamond League triple-jump crown in Zurich on Thursday.

She goes home with a 10-carat diamond and US$50,000 for her efforts and redemption after losing the title in 2018 by the smallest of margins.

“I am in a very jubilant mood, knowing that last year I was second by only one centimetre and this year I am blessed to finish on top with a personal best of 14.93m. This win is very special because it is my first ever Diamond League win and I produced a personal best to earn the title.”

Trailing Venezuela’s Yulimar Rojas’ 14.74m with one jump remaining, Ricketts who opened her campaign with 14.72m, unleashed a personal and season-best jump of 14.93m to snatch victory from Rojas.

“I led with 14.72m with about 28cm to spare at the board and this stood up to the sixth round,” she said. “I relinquished the lead in the sixth and final round and so I knew I had to go all out and my last attempt,” she said.

Rickett’s victory would have come as a shock to the Venezuelan, who leads the world with two marks beyond 15m so far this season and who was losing to the Jamaican for the first time this season. She told Sportsmax.TV that she managed to get things right in the nick of time.

“For the last two competitions – Pan Am Games and last week’s Paris Diamond League - I have been fouling some big jumps and so I had an idea of where I was but just needed to get my approach right,” she said, “so tonight really was about hitting one of those jumps on the board.”

That, she did.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Opinion: Hosts keep missing the point about COVID19 Opinion: Hosts keep missing the point about COVID19

    The hosts of the various big events in the world of sports have been missing the point over and over for the last three months, much like many governments have.

    The COVID-19 Pandemic has inch by inch, ground sports to a halt all over the world and looming events have had to be either cancelled or postponed as it becomes clear that the word ‘pandemic’ is as horrifying as it sounds and the world won’t get over this issue in a few weeks or months as administrators seem to feel.

    But even more important than that, these administrators seem to feel that whether or not an event can go on, depends on the environment at the event.

    But I suggest there is more to it than that.

    The Olympics, for instance, in Tokyo, Japan, seemed to hinge on whether or not the island could get its COVID-19 problems under control before the rest of the world would travel to the event.

    When it became clear that this would not be the case, the event was postponed.

    However, up until that time, even as preparatory events for the Olympics were being cancelled and/or postponed all over the world, the International Olympic Committee had been asking athletes to prepare as if there would still be an event in July of 2020.

    That, I believe, was unfortunate, because it meant, even without travelling to meets all over the world, training was putting athletes at risk of contracting the virus.

    The danger of picking up the virus becomes even more acute when you consider team sports and how much contact it takes to get one working in unison and performing at a high level.

    For that to happen, there needs to be a combination of technical staff, trainers, teammates, and much more. That will up the chances of contracting a virus and therefore it doesn’t matter what is happening at whichever venue in the world, the athletes are at risk.

    I am acutely aware that much planning goes into putting on a large event like the Olympics or the UEFA Champions League, and that there is a lot of money riding on the event going ahead as planned.

    These considerations, I believe, make decisions grey and not as completely black and white like it might from the outside, however, sports and entertainment being the last to get on board with social distancing was, in my mind, slightly callous.

    But that’s just in my mind. These organisers may well have foreseen the financial fallout for the athletes themselves and wanted to save them, for as long as they could, from months without earning in some cases.

    Whichever way you see it, the truth is COVID-19 is likely to bankrupt far more people than it kills.

    Many of the reports on COVID-19 have also indicated that it hurts people with underlying conditions and the elderly, so the athlete with his fitness at the peak of their value, along with usually being under 40, is not in any real danger.

    But how about the person the athletes give it to? And, as was the case of 21-year-old Spanish coach, Francisco Garcia, who knows who has an underlying condition that this virus may attack?

    Garcia, a coach at Atletico Portada Alta, found out he had undiagnosed Leukemia, after being admitted to hospital with coronavirus symptoms. By then, it was too late.

    How I see it is that people and countries can recover from going broke. It happens all the time.

    I’ve never seen anybody recover from being dead.

    Cricket West Indies and the England Cricket Board are entertaining the idea of having a series between the two, scheduled for June, behind closed doors.

    Hopefully, they think better of it in short order.

  • Anna Quirot's triumph over adversity among the most compelling stories of track and field Anna Quirot's triumph over adversity among the most compelling stories of track and field

    World Athletics has named Cuba’s Ana Quirot winning gold medals at the 1995 and 1997 World Championships, among 10 of the greatest athletics moments of triumph over adversity.

  • Barbadian Olympian Pearson Jordan dies from Covid-19 infection Barbadian Olympian Pearson Jordan dies from Covid-19 infection

    Barbadian Olympic Pearson Jordan has died on Saturday, March 28, after being infected by the coronavirus COVID-19.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.