Coleman confident of clearing his name after allegedly missing drugs tests

By Sports Desk August 25, 2019

Sprinter Christian Coleman is confident he will be cleared to go for gold at the IAAF World Athletics Championships next month after reportedly being charged with an anti-doping rule violation.

The United States 100 metres champion is alleged to have missed three drugs tests in the space of a year, which would constitute a breach of World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) regulations.

Coleman could face a two-year ban, which would rule him out of the World Championships in Doha in September and the Olympic Games in Tokyo next year, if found guilty by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

However, the 23-year-old, who faces a hearing on September 4, has vowed to clear his name.

"I'm not a guy who takes any supplements at all, so I'm never concerned about taking drug tests, at any time," he said in a statement released to former Trinidad and Tobago sprinter Ato Boldon.

"What has been widely reported concerning filing violations is simply not true. I am confident the upcoming hearing on September 4 will clear the matter and I will compete at the World Championships in Doha this fall.

"Sometime after the hearing, I will be free to answer questions about the matter, but for now I must reserve and respect the process."

Coleman is the favourite to be crowned 100m world champion in Qatar after winning silver in London two years ago behind compatriot Justin Gatlin.

He set a world-leading time of 9.81 seconds in the Diamond League meeting at Stanford in June and broke the indoor 60m world record last year.

Related items

  • I will never take drugs in my life – Coleman I will never take drugs in my life – Coleman

    Christian Coleman has hit out at "disrespectful fake fans" and vowed he will never fail a drugs test in his life after being cleared to compete in the World Athletics Championships in Doha.

    Coleman was facing a potential two-year ban after the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) last month charged the sprinter for missing three random drugs tests in the space of a year.

    USADA withdrew the charges after receiving guidance from the World Anti-Doping Agency over whether Coleman missed the tests.

    The 23-year-old maintained his innocence throughout and on Wednesday defended himself as he prepares to go for 100 metres gold in Qatar.

    He posted on Instagram: "I put my heart and soul into track and field and worked hard to get where I am today.

    "It's simply disrespectful when fake fans speculate and talk about drugs in relation to the great athletes we have in this sport. It does nothing but hold the sport back from the popularity I know it can reach in the future.

    "I shouldn't have to defend myself but for the first and last time I literally do not take ANY supplements or protein powders. Nothing even legal to help with recovery. Nothing. I work hard at practice, drink water and Powerade, rest, and work even harder the next day.

    "Therefore I have never failed a drug test and never will. I'm the biggest advocate for clean sport because I know the sacrifice and what it takes to make it to this level.

    "There have been a lot of inaccurate things said in the media over the past few weeks – it's a shame we live in a world where clicks=money, yet people still believe everything they read.

    "Huge Thank you to all my supporters. Can't wait for World Champs. See y'all in Doha."

  • Olympic champion Semenya joins South African football club JVW Olympic champion Semenya joins South African football club JVW

    Olympic champion Caster Semenya is set to play football in 2020 after joining South African club JVW.

    A two-time Olympic gold medallist in the 800 metres, Semenya could make her football debut next year.

    JVW, who are owned by South Africa women's captain Janine van Wyk, announced the signing of Semenya on Thursday.

    "I am grateful for this opportunity and I appreciate the love and support I already get from the team," Semenya said in a statement.

    "I am looking forward to this new journey, and hopefully I can contribute as much as I can to the club."

    Semenya will train with JVW but cannot make her debut in the SAFA Sasol Women's League until 2020 due to the transfer window being closed.

    Van Wyk, who recently left JVW for Danish club Fortuna Hjorring, welcomed the signing of 2012 and 2016 Olympic champion Semenya.

    "I am extremely elated to have such an iconic athlete join my football club," she said.

    "I am absolutely honoured that out of all the other women's clubs around the world, she has chosen JVW as the club where she would like to start showcasing her football skills.

    "I welcomed her at her first training with the team on Tuesday, and was impressed to see that she definitely has all the fundamentals.

    "I look forward to her working with coach Ciara [Picco] and our first team where I am sure she will sharpen up and get ready to play in 2020.

    "Although I won't be here for the rest of the year, as I have just signed with Fortuna Hjorring, I have no doubt that Caster will fit right in, and enjoy her time at the club."

  • Coleman free to compete at World Athletics Championships after USADA withdraws case Coleman free to compete at World Athletics Championships after USADA withdraws case

    The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) announced on Monday that it is withdrawing its charges against American track and field star Christian Coleman.

    Coleman, 23, was facing a possible two-year ban after being accused of violating World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) regulations, which would have kept him out of this month's World Athletics Championships in Doha.

    The sprinter had allegedly contravened the "whereabouts rules" by missing three random drugs tests in a 12-month period because he failed to accurately report his location for testing purposes.

    Under the "whereabouts" system, athletes must let officials know where they will be for one hour every day as well as details of overnight accommodation and training.

    USADA said it withdrew the charge after receiving guidance from the World Anti-Doping Agency over whether Coleman actually missed three tests in a 12-month period, based on how the testing calendar is administered.

    In a statement, it said: "USADA has determined that under the applicable rules, and in order to ensure that Coleman is treated consistently with other athletes under the World Anti-Doping Program, Coleman should not be considered to have three Whereabouts Failures in a 12-month period.

    "Accordingly, USADA has withdrawn its charge that Coleman committed an anti-doping rule violation and has so notified WADA and the Athletics Integrity Unit of the International Association of Athletics Federations."

    USADA CEO Travis T. Tygart added in a statement: "Consistent application of the global anti-doping rules is essential in every case."

    Coleman was initially set to have a hearing Wednesday, but USADA has decided that is no longer necessary.

    He has previously expressed confidence that he would be able to clear his name following the allegations.

    "I'm not a guy who takes any supplements at all, so I'm never concerned about taking drug tests, at any time," Coleman said in a statement last month.

    Free to compete internationally, Coleman is the favourite for gold in the 100 metres at the world championships in Qatar, after winning silver in London two years ago behind compatriot Justin Gatlin.

    He ran a world-leading time of 9.81 seconds at the Diamond League meeting at Stanford in June and broke the indoor 60-metre world record last year.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.