Gatlin: American sprinters ready to rule the world in post-Bolt era

By Sports Desk July 12, 2019

Justin Gatlin believes American sprinters are ready to prove themselves as the fastest men in the world after Usain Bolt's retirement.

With Jamaican showman Bolt now off the scene, the 100 metres and 200m risk losing some of their lustre, but Gatlin sees an emerging generation of track stars jostling to take over at the top.

Americans account for four of the five fastest times over 100m this season and three of the four quickest in the 200m.

Christian Coleman, 23, owns the season-leading best time of 9.81 seconds in the shorter sprint, with fellow Americans Noah Lyles and Gatlin also dipping under 9.90secs.

The little-known Cravon Gillespie clocked 9.93 in Austin last month for a personal best too.

Doha will stage the IAAF World Championships later this year, and 37-year-old Gatlin will bid to defend his 100m title on the evening of September 28.

Asked whether USA can be the dominant sprinting nation, after years of Jamaican success, Gatlin told Omnisport: "I think so. It just takes a lot of the youth and the young athletes coming up and looking at what we have done in the past and having pride.

"[It's about] wanting that success and training themselves very hard to make Olympic teams, World Championship teams ... and I think it's on the rise from both sides, both the men and the women."

Bolt's last individual 100m race came at the 2017 World Championships in London, when the eight-time Olympic gold medallist could only finish third as Gatlin took the glory.

It was an unpopular victory for many, not least because Gatlin has served two doping bans, but Bolt notably jumped to his defence.

The post-Bolt era has yet to see any athlete threaten his world record of 9.58secs in the 100m, but Gatlin suspects a heightened competition for medals should again make the race unmissable in Qatar.

Assessing likely rivals, Gatlin said: "If we're looking at it right now, obviously potentially Christian Coleman, Noah Lyles, a lot of other young runners. I always give respect to the other runners that are going to be out there because a star is born at any moment.

"Anybody has an opportunity to put together a great race, and it might be their moment in 2019 in Doha to have the best race of their life.

"Guys are still running elite times. It's about the direction they're coming from. Usually you have one guy you can focus on, which was Usain, who was running fast times and you could focus on that.

"But now you've got Noah Lyles, Christian Coleman, anybody that's running fast times. So you always have to stay on guard and be ready for whoever's going to run fast and you have to be ready to run faster."

Related items

  • Semenya not retiring from athletics despite football career Semenya not retiring from athletics despite football career

    Caster Semenya has clarified she has not retired from athletics despite signing for South African football club JVW.

    Semenya, a two-time Olympic 800-metre champion, signed for JVW this week and will be able to make her debut in the SAFA Sasol Women's League in 2020.

    However, the 28-year-old insists she has not called time on her track and field career.

    "Being a footballer doesn't mean I'm no longer a track and field athlete," she wrote on Twitter. "Just making things clear."

    Semenya will miss the World Athletics Championships later this month after a Swiss court reversed prior rulings that allowed her to compete while she appealed against controversial IAAF regulations.

    The South African is the defending women's 800m champion but will not take to the track in Doha.

    Semenya had been granted permission to race without restriction after lodging an appeal with the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland (SFT) against the Court of Arbitration for Sport's (CAS) verdict in her case against the IAAF.

    CAS ruled the IAAF could implement a regulation that would require Semenya to take medication to lower her testosterone levels to take part in women's track events ranging from 400m to a mile.

    In July, a judge overturned the SFT's decision to allow Semenya to compete while it assessed the case.

  • Olympic champion Semenya joins South African football club JVW Olympic champion Semenya joins South African football club JVW

    Olympic champion Caster Semenya is set to play football in 2020 after joining South African club JVW.

    A two-time Olympic gold medallist in the 800 metres, Semenya could make her football debut next year.

    JVW, who are owned by South Africa women's captain Janine van Wyk, announced the signing of Semenya on Thursday.

    "I am grateful for this opportunity and I appreciate the love and support I already get from the team," Semenya said in a statement.

    "I am looking forward to this new journey, and hopefully I can contribute as much as I can to the club."

    Semenya will train with JVW but cannot make her debut in the SAFA Sasol Women's League until 2020 due to the transfer window being closed.

    Van Wyk, who recently left JVW for Danish club Fortuna Hjorring, welcomed the signing of 2012 and 2016 Olympic champion Semenya.

    "I am extremely elated to have such an iconic athlete join my football club," she said.

    "I am absolutely honoured that out of all the other women's clubs around the world, she has chosen JVW as the club where she would like to start showcasing her football skills.

    "I welcomed her at her first training with the team on Tuesday, and was impressed to see that she definitely has all the fundamentals.

    "I look forward to her working with coach Ciara [Picco] and our first team where I am sure she will sharpen up and get ready to play in 2020.

    "Although I won't be here for the rest of the year, as I have just signed with Fortuna Hjorring, I have no doubt that Caster will fit right in, and enjoy her time at the club."

  • Coleman confident of clearing his name after allegedly missing drugs tests Coleman confident of clearing his name after allegedly missing drugs tests

    Sprinter Christian Coleman is confident he will be cleared to go for gold at the IAAF World Athletics Championships next month after reportedly being charged with an anti-doping rule violation.

    The United States 100 metres champion is alleged to have missed three drugs tests in the space of a year, which would constitute a breach of World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) regulations.

    Coleman could face a two-year ban, which would rule him out of the World Championships in Doha in September and the Olympic Games in Tokyo next year, if found guilty by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

    However, the 23-year-old, who faces a hearing on September 4, has vowed to clear his name.

    "I'm not a guy who takes any supplements at all, so I'm never concerned about taking drug tests, at any time," he said in a statement released to former Trinidad and Tobago sprinter Ato Boldon.

    "What has been widely reported concerning filing violations is simply not true. I am confident the upcoming hearing on September 4 will clear the matter and I will compete at the World Championships in Doha this fall.

    "Sometime after the hearing, I will be free to answer questions about the matter, but for now I must reserve and respect the process."

    Coleman is the favourite to be crowned 100m world champion in Qatar after winning silver in London two years ago behind compatriot Justin Gatlin.

    He set a world-leading time of 9.81 seconds in the Diamond League meeting at Stanford in June and broke the indoor 60m world record last year.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.