Asafa Powell targets three more sub-10s, Olympic medal in 2021

By January 11, 2021

Jamaican Olympian and former 100m world record holder Asafa Powell said he intends to get to that elusive mark of 100 legal sub-10 times and an Olympic medal before he hangs up his spikes.

Powell, 38, holds the record for most legal sub-10 times in the 100m but wants to extend it for at least another three races as he approaches the twilight of his career. Plagued by injury throughout his career, especially in the past few years, the last time Powell broke the 10-second barrier, his 97th, was in 2016 when he ran 9.92 in Hungary.

However, the four-time Olympian remains undaunted as he vies for a fifth Olympiad this summer.

“The Olympics have been put off until this year but the goal is still the same. It’s just another year and we as athletes know how to prepare and get ourselves ready. My biggest goal this year, apart from the Olympics is getting my next three sub-10s and I want to seal that off and going to the Olympic Games, making it on the podium, that would be a big dream for me,” he said.

To get those sub-10 times, Powell is going to need to compete at meets that are in short supply because of the prevailing conditions.

The pandemic has wreaked havoc on track and field in the last 10 months. Meets at all levels have been cancelled across the, including some that had been scheduled for this past weekend. Last season, several Diamond League meetings, as well as lower-tier meets, were either postponed or cancelled outright as the Covid-19 virus raged across the globe.

Powell said athletes will have to find a way to live with the virus until the situation improves.

“We have to learn to adjust to it, learn to compete with no fans, nobody in the stadiums. I think it’s going to be the new norm. Europe is where we compete the most so if there are putting off track meets that means we have to find other alternatives, stay home and compete until the Olympics or whatever it is,” he said.

Should he achieve his goals this season, Powell said he has no immediate plans to retire and will continue competing until his body tells him otherwise.

"The body will tell me. I am just going to keep going. I am not going to go forever, but I am a family man now so I can't keep running and training forever. After the three sub-10s and the Olympic Games, I will feel a lot more satisfied and then consider if I go another year or just cut it off." he said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Gardiner scores impressive 300m win at UAB Blazer Invite Gardiner scores impressive 300m win at UAB Blazer Invite

    Steven Gardiner and Tynia Gaither of the Bahamas had podium finishes at the UAB Blazer Invite in Birmingham, Alabama on Friday.

  • Kiara Grant sets facility record as Jamaicans shine at NCAA indoor meets Kiara Grant sets facility record as Jamaicans shine at NCAA indoor meets

    Emerging sprinter Kiara Grant of Norfolk State University and Ackera Nugent of Baylor were among several Jamaicans who produced top NCAA performances between Friday and Saturday as the collegiate indoor circuit unfolded in earnest in the United States.

  • 'Cancelled high school football competitions will have big impact on national programs' - Downswell 'Cancelled high school football competitions will have big impact on national programs' - Downswell

     Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) director of football, Wendell Downswell, believes the continued absence of the country’s youth football programs and competitions will have a devastating impact on the sport over the next few years.

    All official football competitions across Jamaica have been shuttered since March of last year, as the island battled to come to grips with the spread of the deadly coronavirus.  Included in that list are the island’s Premier League competition and all high school football competitions.

    Both competitions typically cater to the need of developing players Under 21 years old who are selected for youth national teams and even acquire scholarships to overseas colleges through them.  

    With the recent decision by FIFA to postpone the 2021 U-17 and U-20 World Cup and CONCACAF’s decisions to postpone the respective qualifiers, things are essentially at a standstill.

    “You won’t see it immediately but in years to come, probably starting in 2023, you will see the results as it relates to our youth football itself,” Downswell told Football GPS.

    “Youngsters if you look at it, in three categories, in four categories, at high school you have the U-14, Under-16 and of course the Manning Cup and DaCosta Cup.  At the parish level, you have the Under-15 competition, at the club level, you have the Under-14 competition that takes on an international flavor.  If you look from there you make the transition into the Under-15, Under-17, and the Under-20 national teams and you are looking at both sets of national teams, male and female," he added.

    "If we look at it from the perspective that the schoolboy football competition has been abandoned because of COVID, you know the schoolboy competition provides us with a means to identify talent at both the schoolboy level and club level and when that’s not forthcoming it put a damper on our football.”

     

     

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.