Repairs to National Stadium track set for August - Minister Olivia Grange

By February 26, 2020

Repairs to the track at the National Stadium in Kingston will commence later this year following the correction to the throwing circle set to get underway this Thursday, February 27.

According to Olivia Grange, Jamaica’s Minister of Culture, Entertainment, Gender Affairs and Sports, the work on the throwing circle will be the beginning of renovation work that will start after the country’s Independence Day celebrations.

According to Minister Grange, General Manager of Independence Park Limited, Major Desmon Brown, has said there will also be a complete overlay of the running track and work would be done on the run-ups for the long jump pit, the high jump and the pole vault.

“The work on the discus ring will commence this Thursday, February 27, 2020. The other aspects will start in August after the staging of the Grand Gala,” the minister said.

“On the completion of the works, IPL will seek certification by the JAAA.”

Meanwhile, the IPL General Manager said that the upgrading work falls in line plans by the minister for the overall proposed development of the National Stadium to include state-of-the-art facilities for the field events. “Throwing circles are a part of the facilities that will be installed,” Major Brown said.

Major Brown said also that IPL had been working with ISSA from early January 2020 to ensure that all will be in place for 2020 ISSA/Grace Boys and Girls Athletics Championships.

Attention to the bothersome throwing circle was once again brought to the public’s attention last weekend when 2019 World Championship silver medallist Fedrick Dacres withdrew from the discus competition at the Isaac Henry Invitational.

“I am extremely disappointed and it is very annoying to know that we come to compete and they do not have a suitable throwing surface inside our National Stadium. As throwers, we cannot glide inside the circle as there is no friction there, and I can’t believe this is how they are treating us as throwers,” Dacres said.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • COVID-19 pandemic offers Michelle-Lee Ahye chance at Olympic appearance COVID-19 pandemic offers Michelle-Lee Ahye chance at Olympic appearance

    Trinidad and Tobago Olympian Michelle-Lee Ahye may yet make the plane to Tokyo 2020 despite a two-year ban after a whereabouts violation in April of 2019.

    The postponement of the Tokyo games until the Summer of 2021 means Ahye, who is appealing that ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), would have been too late even if successful, but that is now, no longer true.

    In fact, even if her appeal is unsuccessful, Ahye may still suit up for T&T.  

    Ahye has the support of the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) throughout the appeals process and the sprinter will be going to CAS with the organisation’s lawyer, Dave Williams.

    According to Williams, who spoke to Errol Baptiste on I95.5fm recently, Ahye’s ban began in April of 2019 and is scheduled to end in April of 2019, a full three months before the next Olympics.

    Ahye had missed three drug tests on June 23, 2018, February 23, 2019 and April 19, 2019.

    "Yes, on a technicality yes, she is available. There is no precedent in place that would prevent her from participating once she qualifies, in the July 2021 Olympics,” said Williams.

    Despite the technicality, Williams and the TTOC are still going ahead with their appeal because there are other considerations for the athlete.

    "Michelle would have, in fact, suffered as a result of the order issued by the Tribunal, the medals, the titles and awards that she would have received during the period (April to August, 2019), as a result of the Tribunal’s ruling, she would no longer be entitled to such, as a matter of fact, the order goes on to say that Michele’s result from April 2019 shall be disqualified with all resulting consequences including the forfeiture of any titles or awards, medals, points so we are appealing that as well. So, notwithstanding the fact that yes she has benefitted as a consequence of COVID-19, there are still issues that we would like to have reversed in Michelle’s favour,” said Williams.

    Williams explained that the process with CAS has been completed and it was now just a wait and see situation.

    “We have lodged our appeal, the respondent has since submitted their response to our appeal and it is up to CAS now, both parties have in fact made their relevant submissions to CAS, so the matter is now being deliberated on by CAS," said Williams.

    How soon that judgement will be handed down has not been revealed by the CAS yet.

    Williams also explained that the ban cannot be extended because the Olympics were moved and/or any extenuating circumstances surrounding the spread of COVID-19.

  • Cheslin came through so much – Van Niekerk reflects on Springboks' 'amazing' Rugby World Cup triumph Cheslin came through so much – Van Niekerk reflects on Springboks' 'amazing' Rugby World Cup triumph

    Wayde van Niekerk says it was "an amazing inspiration" to see South Africa win the Rugby World Cup – especially as the team contained friends and family.

    The Springboks triumphed 32-12 over England in the final in Yokohama on November 2 last year to become world champions for the third time.

    Olympic 400-metre champion and world-record holder Van Niekerk says the players deserve all the accolades and sponsorship bonuses they have received for their momentous success.

    "It's been an amazing inspiration for not just myself but the entire country, and yet another spark for myself as a South African to want to achieve great things," he told Stats Perform.

    "I'm quite close friends with a few players and it's great to see how their lives have changed and the blessings and the sponsors and so on that are coming their way. It's amazing, it's well deserved and it's great."

    Van Niekerk is friends with several key South Africa players, including captain Siya Kolisi, and he is a cousin of Cheslin Kolbe.

    Kolbe battled back from injury in time to play against England and went on to score the final try of the match, capping a terrific 2019 that saw him nominated alongside eventual winner Pieter-Steph du Toit for World Rugby's Player of the Year award.

    Van Niekerk recalled: "Thinking back to Cheslin's final try: he's come through so much, moving to France, thinking that he wouldn't make the SA team, and just wanting to go and enjoy his rugby and then getting selected for the World Cup.

    "The final try was amazing but let's be honest, his entire tournament, I feel like he was one of the players of the tournament and one of the highlights of the Rugby World Cup.

    "I think it's such a blessing and such an amazing blessing to be associated with such great people, like Siya and Cheslin, it's lovely to be associated with them and draw off of them and use them as inspiration for myself, coming back from injury and wanting to do great things for my country the way they did."

  • Pearson Jordan was third Barbadian athlete to die in the past month - Barbados Athletics Pearson Jordan was third Barbadian athlete to die in the past month - Barbados Athletics

    When Barbadian OIympian Pearson Jordan died last Saturday, March 28, from COVID-19, he was one of three sportsmen from that country to have died in the past month.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.