'I wasn't having as much fun' says Jereem Richards says of disappointing 2019 season

By December 10, 2019

Jereem Richards, the 2017 200-metre bronze medallist said he plans to use the disappointments of his 2019 season to spur him onto success next season.

The 25-year-old Trinidadian, who won relay gold in London in 2017 to go along with his individual bronze medal, would have been looking to push on to faster times and better performances. However, last season turned the exact opposite.

A season-best of 20.14s well off his personal best of 19.97, and bowing out at the semi-finals of the 200m at the World Championships, sums up the kind of year that the young Trinidadian had and caused him to feel like he was not having fun anymore.

“I need to find back a really good rhythm in track and field and also to have a lot of fun with it because I feel like in 2019 I wasn’t having as much fun,” he said.

“It was more kind of a job to me in a sense and I only started to find the love and the fun at the end of the season and I still didn’t get the best results like I wanted to.”

For the coming season, Richards said he plans to adopt a different approach that will make the sport fun again.

“I need to work harder. I need to work smarter. I am going in with a new approach, a new mindset and keeping faith in God that he has a bigger plan for me in 2020 and this, for me, was just like a stumbling block along the way to success in 2020,” he said.

“I am keeping my head held high moving forward to the 2020 Olympics and, of course, I would want to go out there and be a medal contender and bring home precious metal because I have always wanted to be an Olympic medallist and this was always one of my biggest dreams since I started track and field.”

The sting of missing out on 2016 Olympics in Rio, is also motivating him to be even better going forward.

“I had the opportunity to make the Olympic team in 2016 but I was only a reserve on the 4x4 team and I didn’t get a chance to run and that made me work really hard in 2017,” he said. “With working hard I got a World Championship medal so I am hoping that the disappointments of the 2019 season could bring successes in 2020.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • 2019 World Champ Anderson Peters shows kids track is more than sprints and jumps 2019 World Champ Anderson Peters shows kids track is more than sprints and jumps

    Anderson Peters, the 2019 World Champion in the javelin, believes that in winning the world title in Doha in 2019, could inspire children in his home country of Grenada by showing them that they do not have to be sprinters to succeed in the sport.

  • My Best Olympic Memory...Ato Boldon recalls the psychic who got it wrong in '96 My Best Olympic Memory...Ato Boldon recalls the psychic who got it wrong in '96

    Ato Boldon is one of Trinidad and Tobago’s most successful Olympic athletes having won four medals between the Atlanta Games in 1996 and the Sydney Games four years later.

  • Coronavirus: World Athletics suspends Olympics qualification period until December Coronavirus: World Athletics suspends Olympics qualification period until December

    World Athletics has suspended the qualification period for the postponed Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games until December 1.

    The coronavirus pandemic last month forced the International Olympics Committee (IOC) to postpone the Games until July 23, 2021.

    In line with that decision, World Athletics has decided – in consultation with its Athletes' Commission, area presidents and Council – to alter the qualification period, meaning any results between April 6 and November 30 will not count towards Tokyo 2020 entry standards or world rankings.

    Although qualification status cannot be achieved or boosted in this time, results shall continue to be recorded for statistical purposes, and athletes who had already met entry standards before April 6 will remain qualified.

    Should the global situation improve, qualification will resume on December 1 and run through to new deadlines, which are no later than June 29, 2021.

    World Athletics president Sebastian Coe said: "I am grateful for the detailed work and feedback from our Athletes' Commission and Council, who believe suspending Olympic qualification during this period gives more certainty for athlete planning and preparation, and is the best way to address fairness in what is expected to be the uneven delivery of competition opportunities across the globe for athletes given the challenges of international travel and government border restrictions."

    The organisation also confirmed as of Tuesday, 50 per cent of their "HQ staff" have been furloughed.

    The government of Monaco will contribute 70 per cent of the wages of those staff in question, with World Athletics topping up the rest to ensure employees are paid their salary in full.

    Coe added: "This decision, made possible by the Monaco government, means we will focus only on business-critical activities for the short-term, which will help us manage our cashflow effectively and protect jobs in the long-term.

    "All World Athletics HQ staff will remain on their full salaries during this period with the organisation topping up the Monaco government's contribution.

    "We have taken care to ensure the support and services we provide to our member federations, areas, partners, stakeholders, athletes and the wider athletics community remain in place with a reduced team."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.