Keshorn Walcott DQs at T&T Trials, World Championship place in jeopardy

By July 28, 2019
T&T Olympian Keshorn Walcott T&T Olympian Keshorn Walcott

Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Gold medallist, Keshorn Walcott will likely not be a part of the country’s team to the IAAF World Championships of Athletics after fouling out at his National Trials on Saturday.

Walcott, in a field of just three, including young Tyriq Horsford and Shakeil Waithe, did manage to throw 79.98 metres as well as 77.68, which would have given him victory with the best other throw being 78.97.

However, it is Waithe who can claim national championship honours after Walcott was adjudged to have broken some rule or other and registered as a disqualification.

Horsford threw 71.67 metres for second place.

While the reason for the disqualification isn’t clear, there is the suggestion that Walcott left the competition area for too long and fell prey to rule 180.19 “Absence during Competition”.

Also quoted on the results sheet was rule 142.2, “The eligibility of an athlete to compete outside of his country”.

Walcott is the countries reigning national record holder at 90.16 metres and the trials record holder at 84.96 metres.

The results are not a done deal though as there is to be a jury of appeal hearing today.

Walcott won gold at the Olympics for Trinidad and Tobago in 2012 and bronze in 2016.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Coe 'killing' athletics with Diamond League changes, warns Blake Coe 'killing' athletics with Diamond League changes, warns Blake

    Yohan Blake believes IAAF president Sebastian Coe is "killing" athletics by cutting back on Diamond League disciplines.

    Sweeping changes announced in November saw the 200 metres, 3,000m steeplechase, discus and triple jump removed from the schedule for the upcoming season in a bid to accommodate a 90-minute broadcast window.

    Former 100m world champion and 200m Olympic silver medallist Blake thinks the decision will do more harm than good to the sport.

    "It has changed a lot, I am not going to lie. The times we are running have slowed down, track and field is dying a little," said Blake.

    "If [Coe] can take away the 200 and triple jump, I don't know if he is trying to build or trying to kill athletics.

    "But that's a stupid move he is making. He must enhance the sport, but he is killing it. It is just madness.

    "This is people's careers and where they make money… You cannot do that. Everybody is hating him. We have to take a stand."

  • Mo Farah to run 10,000m at 2020 Olympics Mo Farah to run 10,000m at 2020 Olympics

    Mo Farah has performed a U-turn and elected to defend his 10,000m title at the Tokyo Olympics next year.

    Two years ago, Farah walked away from track events to concentrate on marathons and he finished eighth across 26.2 miles in Chicago last month having won the event in 2018.

    However, the 36-year-old has decided to return to shorter distances and will aim to add to his Olympic medal collection at the next Games.

    Farah, who will still need to qualify for the event in Tokyo, won gold over 5,000m and 10,000m at the 2012 and 2016 Olympics.

    "It's been really exciting to compete at the marathon for the last couple of years," Farah said in a message posted on his YouTube Channel.

    "To win the Chicago Marathon, as a major marathon, that was nice. To finish third in the London Marathon, was okay, it was good.

    "It's been a good learning curve for me - doing the marathon, to run 2:05 - British record, European record. The training for it was totally different to the track.

    "Next year I've decided, Tokyo 2020, I'm going to be back on the track. I'm really excited to be competing back on the track and giving it a go in the 10,000 metres.

    "Hopefully I haven't lost my speed. I'll train hard for it and see what I can do."

  • Nine more student-athletes get scholarships from Pocket Rocket Foundation Nine more student-athletes get scholarships from Pocket Rocket Foundation

    Nine high school student-athletes became first-time scholarship recipients from Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce’s Pocket Rocket Foundation on Wednesday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.