Veronica Campbell-Brown's statue to be unveiled during Jamaica’s Heritage Week

By Loop News July 27, 2019
Veronica Campbell-Brown Veronica Campbell-Brown

The Government of Jamaica is to salute outstanding Jamaican and world athlete, Veronica Campbell-Brown, during Heritage Week in October, by unveiling a statue in her honour.

This was disclosed by Sport Minister Olivia Grange, during her contribution to the 2019/20 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on Tuesday.

Grange informed that last year during Heritage Week, the statue of Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce was installed at Independence Park.

“She has been an amazing ambassador for our country. She is humble, confident and respectful at all times. We salute you Shelly-Ann,” she said.

The Minister added that the Government is also finalising arrangements for the installation of the statue of noted sprinter, Asafa Powell, later this year.

Renowned sculptor Basil Watson has been engaged by the Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport to design statues of four of Jamaica’s outstanding sports stars under the Jamaica 55 Legacy Programme.

The statue in honour of Campbell-Brown will be the third to be completed under the Programme. The first statue of Usain Bolt was completed and installed last December. The other statue of  Asafa Powell is expected to be unveiled before the end of the year.

Related items

  • Tokyo gold dream shows Ramos is still ambitious - Moreno Tokyo gold dream shows Ramos is still ambitious - Moreno

    Sergio Ramos has impressed Spain boss Robert Moreno with his desire to play for his country at next year's Olympic Games.

    A source close to Ramos this week apparently leaked the news that the Real Madrid and Spain defender, who is set to become his country's most-capped player this weekend, wants to go for gold in Tokyo.

    According to Spanish newspaper Marca, the team that travels to Japan was expected to be based around the players who won the European Under-21 Championship in June.

    There is scope to include a number of more senior players, however, which could open the door for Ramos.

    However, the 33-year-old is also expected to play for Spain at Euro 2020, meaning he would face a heavy workload given the tournaments take place almost back to back, with a brief gap in mid-July.

    Moreno will be spared having to make a decision on Ramos over the Olympics, as responsibility for that team is set to fall on Spain Under-21 boss Luis de la Fuente.

    "I haven't talked about the Olympic Games with him," Moreno said of Ramos.

    "That desire defines him as a footballer. He has one more motivation to add to his career. It is difficult, when you have won everything, to stay motivated."

    Moreno says Ramos, who will make a record 168th appearance for Spain when La Roja play Norway on Saturday, will need to demonstrate the team would benefit from his presence at the Olympics.

    "It would be unfair for everyone to pick someone just because of their name," said Moreno.

    "The fair thing is for everyone to maintain a high performance, but Sergio, who I see training every day, will maintain his level.

    "When it comes to the time, Luis de la Fuente will have to decide who to take to the Games."

    Spain, as hosts, won gold in the 1992 Olympic men's football tournament with a team including Luis Enrique and Pep Guardiola.

    They were silver medallists in Sydney eight years later when Xavi and Carles Puyol were in their ranks.

  • Nike to close Oregon Project after Salazar ban Nike to close Oregon Project after Salazar ban

    Nike has decided to close down the Oregon Project less than a fortnight after coach Alberto Salazar was banned from athletics for four years.

    The United States Anti-Doping Agency sanctioned Salazar, former coach of long-distance great Mo Farah, at the start of this month after he was found guilty of multiple anti-doping violations.

    Nike on Friday confirmed it will continue to back Salazar with his appeal, but the Oregon Project will be brought to an end.

    A company spokesperson said: "Nike has always tried to put the athlete and their needs at the front of all of our decisions.

    "While the panel found there was no orchestrated doping, no finding that performance enhancing drugs have ever been used on Oregon Project athletes and went out of its way to note Alberto's desire to follow all rules, ultimately Alberto can no longer coach while the appeal is pending.

    "This situation including uninformed innuendo and unsubstantiated assertions has become an unfair burden for current OP athletes. That is exactly counter to the purpose of the team.

    "We have therefore made the decision to wind down the Oregon Project to allow the athletes to focus on their training and competition needs.

    "We will help all of our athletes in this transition as they choose the coaching set-up that is right for them. We will continue to support Alberto in his appeal."

    Japanese athlete Suguru Osako, who joined the Oregon Project four years ago, expressed his disappointment over the decision.

    He tweeted: "I am sad that the dear team that made me stronger will be gone. But I will keep exploring myself and I will continue being myself.

    "As Nike has expressed their commitment to continuing support as they have, my activities will not be disrupted at all."

  • Ceballos has not given up on Real Madrid 'dream' Ceballos has not given up on Real Madrid 'dream'

    Dani Ceballos insists he has not given up on his Real Madrid "dream" despite being sent out on loan to Arsenal this season.

    Spain international Ceballos joined Madrid in 2017 after emerging as one of LaLiga's most promising talents at Real Betis, but he struggled to secure regular football under Zinedine Zidane.

    After Zidane's departure, Ceballos began to play more regularly for Julen Lopetegui and Santiago Solari, but that did not continue when the Frenchman returned in March.

    He was allowed to leave for Arsenal on loan and has shown flashes of his ability in London, with Gunners fans quickly taking to the playmaker.

    Though it seems they should not get used to his presence, as he still sees his long-term future at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    "When I don't play, I don't enjoy myself," he told Radio Marca. "These two years [at Real Madrid] I've learned a lot from the club, but now I'm enjoying it [football].

    "I knew it was an important year, the coach has doubts and he who doesn't play doesn't go [to Euro 2020], so it was a good time to go on loan.

    "With [Arsenal coach Unai] Emery's confidence I may have many chances to be in the Euros squad.

    "I never thought about going permanently. My goal is to succeed at Real Madrid. I will fight to fulfil my dream."

    Martin Odegaard is another Madrid-owned player thriving on loan this season, with his performances at Real Sociedad marking him out as one of LaLiga's standout stars in 2019-20.

    Ceballos has consequently come to the conclusion it might be a good season to be away from Los Blancos.

    "You're seeing that maybe it wasn't the year to play for Real Madrid," he added. "It has been a very successful decision [for Odegaard], he has a lot of room for improvement.

    "From now to the next few years, he will be a very important player for Real Madrid."

    Euro 2020 is not the only international tournament Ceballos hopes of featuring in over the next year, as he will do everything he can to get Madrid to approve his decision to play at the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.

    "It's something that I may not play in my life again," Ceballos said. "I would put my dream on the table to the club.

    "I have spoken with people from the [Royal Spanish Football] Federation who know that I would like to go, I would be delighted. I want to go to the Olympics and to the Euros.

    "There are two tournaments that demand a lot of responsibility. I don't care if I don't have a holiday. I'm 23 years old and I'll rest when I'm older."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.