Steven Gardiner was confident of fast 200m opener

By April 15, 2019

Bahamian speedster Steven Gardiner was confident he was going to run fast in his season opener at the Hurricane Invitational in Miami on Saturday.

The towering 23-year-old blew away the field in his 200m heat winning in a world-leading 20.04s. Next best over the seven contested heats was Ecuador’s Alex Quinonez (20.53) followed by Dedric Dukes (20.66).

The time was 0.26s faster than his previous best season opener of 20.30s set at the University of Central Florida in 2018.

“I feel really good,” Gardiner told Sportsmax.TV on Monday, “this is the fastest I’ve even opened up in the 200m. I just want to continue to race and stay healthy. We’ve been working on strength in training a lot this year. Overall, I felt confident about running 20-seconds low.”

Fast times are not unusual for Gardiner who in 2018 set national records of 19.75s and 43.87s in the 200 and 400, respectively, but the work that he put in during pre-season has put him in good stead to possibly go even faster this World Championship year.

“I’ve improved in most things but a good base is always key and that’s something we definitely worked on this season,” said Gardiner who said that in addition to the strength work, he took on long runs and worked on his starts.

With the World Championships all the way in September, Gardiner and his coach Gary Evans are planning to be selective about when and where they race in order to be in the best shape for the competition.

 “I won’t be doing too many races this year just because of worlds being late, so I want to have some legs left,” he said revealing also that he isn’t sure what discipline he will eventually choose.

“I love both events but I can’t really say at this time.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • International Olympic Committee supports four-year Russia ban International Olympic Committee supports four-year Russia ban

    The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has reiterated its support for Russia's four-year ban from major international sporting events imposed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

    WADA declared the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) non-compliant again at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Monday over inconsistencies in anti-doping data discovered during an investigation.

    Athletes will not be able to compete under the Russian flag at the 2020 Olympics or the 2022 Winter Games, while Russia's place at the World Cup in Qatar is also in jeopardy.

    The IOC had supported the recommended sanction last month and retained its stance following the announcement.

    "The representatives of the Olympic Movement today [Monday] supported this unanimous decision in the WADA Executive Committee, which is in line with the statement made by the IOC Executive Board [on November 26] and endorsed by the Olympic Summit," a statement released to Omnisport read.

    The IOC said in November it would "support the toughest sanctions against all those responsible for this manipulation".

    It added: "With regard to the sanctions following this manipulation, we will still have to evaluate these in detail.

    "The IOC emphasises that any sanctions should follow the rules of natural justice and respect human rights.

    "Therefore, the IOC stresses that the guilty should be punished in the toughest way possible because of the seriousness of this infringement and thus welcomes the sanctions for the Russian authorities responsible."

    WADA's statement on Monday said: "The WADA Executive Committee has responded in the strongest possible terms, while protecting the rights of Russian athletes that can prove that they were not involved and did not benefit from these fraudulent acts."

  • Yohan Blake to quit track in two years, hopes to play in IPL Yohan Blake to quit track in two years, hopes to play in IPL

    Yohan Blake, the second-fastest man in history, could be set to play T20 cricket for the Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), once he hangs up his spikes.

  • St Lucia's Julien Alfred blazes 7.18 in 60m win at FastTrack Collegiate Opener St Lucia's Julien Alfred blazes 7.18 in 60m win at FastTrack Collegiate Opener

    St Lucia’s track queen Julien Alfred stormed to a big win in the 60m dash at the FastTrack Collegiate Opener in Houston, Texas, on Saturday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.