Ahye clocks 60m season best to end indoor season at Millrose

By Sports Desk February 10, 2019
The United States' English Gardner finishes ahead of T&T's Michelle Lee Ahye The United States' English Gardner finishes ahead of T&T's Michelle Lee Ahye

Trinidad and Tobago sprinter, Michelle Lee Ahye, clocked a season’s best in the women’s 60m to close her indoor season at the Millrose Games in New York on Saturday.

Ahye clocked 7.15, which was good enough for second place behind a resurgent English Gardner of the United States.  Gardner got off to a good start and powered to the line in 7.10, which was a new personal best and the second fastest time in the world this year.  The American is looking to get back to her best after two ACL surgeries.

For Ahye, the result beat her previous best time of 7.21 set at the New Balance Indoor Grand Prix last month but obviously did not come with the gold medal the Trinidadian won on that occasion.

 On Saturday, Javianne Oliver, another American, was third behind Ahye with a time of 7.19.

Ahye, the 2018 Commonwealth Games champion, is the fastest Caribbean woman over the distance this year.  The next closest of Jamaica’s Remona Burchell who has a best of 7.23 set in Poland earlier this month.  The fastest time recorded over the distance this year was set by Poland’s Ewa Swoboda who recorded 7.08 in Karlsruhe Germany earlier this month

  

Related items

  • 'It was never about the money…I felt cheated' – Stephen Hart 'It was never about the money…I felt cheated' – Stephen Hart

    Former Trinidad and Tobago coach Stephen Hart said he was happy with Tuesday’s High Court TT$5million ruling because he felt cheated by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association, who fired him from his head coaching job after three and half years in charge and at a critical stage of the 2018 World Cup campaign.

    The TTFA fired Hart in November 2016 during the Hexagonal Round of the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign after the national team suffered consecutive losses to Costa Rica and Honduras.

    Many, including Hart, saw the dismissal as unjust given that the head coach had led the team to knockout stages of the 2013 campaign and 2015 Gold Cup competitions. TT topped their Gold Cup group in 2015.

     During his 43-match tenure in charge of TT Hart had a record of 16 wins, 12 draws and 15 losses.

     He sued the TTFA citing wrongful dismissal a claim that the association did not contest. On Tuesday, Justice Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell, in a default judgement ordered the TTFA to pay the Canada-based coach $5million (approximately USD$739,000).

     “Obviously, I am pleased with the court ruling. It was, in my view, so unnecessary, mainly because I thought that at least I should have been given the opportunity to finish what we started. My staff and myself had worked very hard to bring the team to a certain point; we were already in the Hex, and of course, we were not allowed to do so,” Hart told Sportsmax.TV on Friday from his home in Canada, where he now serves as General Manager of HFX Wanderers in the Canadian Premier League.

     “Winning a judgment is one thing and collecting is something else completely, but really and truly it was not about the money, it was about doing a job for Trinidad and Tobago football, trying to bring some joy back to the game and the people who love the game and I just felt a little bit cheated out of that.”

  • Leading RusAF officials charged with anti-doping violations Leading RusAF officials charged with anti-doping violations

    The Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) has suspended several leading Russian Athletics Federation (RusAF) officials for their conduct during an investigation into high-jumper Danil Lysenko.

    Russian athletes have been prohibited from representing their country since November 2015 following allegations of state-sponsored doping, which have been regularly denied.

    Lysenko, a high jump silver medallist from the 2017 World Athletics Championships, was authorised by World Athletics to compete as a neutral athlete following the suspension of RusAF.

    In June 2018, Lysenko was notified of a third "whereabouts" failure, with a notice of charge issued against him and a provisional suspension imposed in August 2018.

    The AIU investigated the explanations provided by Lysenko, concluding the explanations were false and supported by forged documents.

    A subsequent 15-month inquiry into RusAF's conduct has led to senior officials, including the organisation's president Dmitry Shlyakhtin, being charged with serious breaches of anti-doping rules, including a failure to co-operate with an investigation and obstructing an investigation.

    In total, seven individuals associated with RusAF – Shlyakhtin, executive director Alexander Parkin, board member Artur Karamyan, senior administrator Elena Orlova, anti-doping coordinator Elena Ikonnikova, Lysenko and his coach Evgeniy Zagorulko – have been charged for anti-doping rule violations of tampering and/or complicity.

    All seven have been handed suspensions with immediate effect.

    RusAF has until December 12 to respond to the notice, and the AIU board may refer the matter to the World Athletics Council.

  • Ronsford Beaton suspended again for an illegal bowling action Ronsford Beaton suspended again for an illegal bowling action

    Guyana Jaguars pacer Ronsford Beaton has been suspended with immediate effect from West Indies domestic matches for an illegal bowling action, Cricket West Indies has confirmed.

    The bowler's action was determined to be illegal in an Opinion Report by an Independent Assessor at Loughborough University.

    The assessment revealed that Beaton’s deliveries exceeded the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under playing regulations.

    Beaton will remain suspended until such time as his action is found to be legal, either by an Opinion Report from Loughborough University or by an independent analysis from an accredited testing centre, in accordance with the CWI Regulations for Dealing with Suspected Illegal Bowling Actions.

    He is expected to undergo remedial work supervised by the Jaguars franchise and can apply for a reassessment after modifying his bowling action in accordance with the Regulations.

    The 27-year-old Beaton was reported for a suspect bowling action during the Jaguars’ game against the United States last Monday in the Colonial Medical Insurance Super50 Cup.

    Beaton’s action was cited by match officials after he bowled eight overs for figures of 0-37 during the game at the Queen’s Park Oval, which the Jaguars won by 13 runs.

    This is the second time that Beaton has been suspended for an illegal bowling action.

    He was suspended from bowling after being reported during an ODI against New Zealand on December 24, 2017. Then in August 2018, the ICC ruled that he could return to playing international cricket after his remodelled bowling action was assessed at Loughborough University in England on August 13, 2018, where it was revealed that the amount of elbow extension for all his deliveries was within the 15-degree level of tolerance permitted under the ICC Illegal Bowling Regulations.

     

     

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.