Bahamian sprint hurdler Devynne Charlton turns pro, opens in Barcelona

By July 09, 2018
Purdue alum Devynne Charlton signs with Puma, opens in Barcelona on Wednesday. Purdue alum Devynne Charlton signs with Puma, opens in Barcelona on Wednesday.

Bahamian sprint hurdler Devynne Charlton will run her first professional race as a Puma athlete in Barcelona on Wednesday. The 22-year-old athlete recently graduated from Purdue University and signed with Puma shortly thereafter.

“It’s a three- year deal and I’m really excited about it,” Charlton told SportsMax.TV.

“I’m happy to have signed with Puma, especially since they are very supportive of Bahamian athletes and other Caribbean athletes as well.”

Charlton enjoyed a stellar career while at Purdue. This season, she successfully defended her title at the Big 10 Championship where she was the only woman in the conference to win multiple individual titles on the track. She was also the only woman at the meet with three gold medals.

All three of her wins were repeat victories from last year’s meet. She is the first woman to win back-to-back Big Ten titles in the 100-meter dash, 100-meter hurdles and 4x100-meter relay since Ohio State’s Christina Manning did so in 2011 and 2012.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Pogba race intensifies as Man United prepare bumper new contract Rumour Has It: Pogba race intensifies as Man United prepare bumper new contract

    The race for Paul Pogba appears well and truly on, but Manchester United will not let the midfielder go easily.

    The France international said on Sunday he would be interested in a "new challenge", casting fresh doubt over his future at Old Trafford.

    Real Madrid have continually been linked with Pogba, but it seems Paris Saint-Germain, and perhaps former club Juventus, could also be interested.

     

    TOP STORY – POGBA INTEREST INTENSIFIES

    Real Madrid indicated they are willing to pay £90million for Pogba despite United valuing the midfielder at £150m, according to The Sun.

    United are ready to do their all to keep Pogba, with the Daily Mail reporting they are set to offer him a bumper new contract worth close to £500,000 per week.

    This saga appears likely to take time to play out with Ligue 1 champions PSG also expressing an interest in Pogba, according to The Independent.

    ROUND-UP

    - Neymar appears more and more likely to leave PSG in the close season. Globo Esporte says talks are already underway for the Brazil international to return to Barcelona, who may pay €100m and send players, with Ivan Rakitic, Ousmane Dembele and Samuel Umtiti mentioned.

    - It seems Benfica sensation Joao Felix has decided where he will be next season. According to Record, the 19-year-old Portugal international was in Spain to sign with Atletico Madrid in a €120m move, a report Benfica denied. El Chiringuito later claimed to have spotted the attacker and agent Jorge Mendes leaving a Madrid restaurant.

    - Real Madrid look like they want to see Gareth Bale make an exit before next season. ABC says the LaLiga giants have lowered their asking price for the Wales international from €100m to €85m.

    - With Neymar and Antoine Griezmann potentially arriving, Philippe Coutinho's Barcelona future seems clouded. AS reports PSG have made contact with the player's camp, while he may return to the Premier League. However, Sky Sports News reports Coutinho is unwilling to join Manchester United out of respect to former club Liverpool, but The Sun says he would head to Chelsea, although the club's transfer ban is standing in the way of that move.

    - Now that Juventus have appointed Maurizio Sarri, the Serie A champions could make numerous additions. Tuttosport reported Juve vice-president Pavel Nedved met with agent Mino Raiola regarding Ajax captain Matthijs de Ligt – who is expected to join PSG – and Pogba.

    - A dream Chelsea return for Frank Lampard could be on the cards. The Sun reports the club great and Derby County manager is set for talks with owner Roman Abramovich over the position left vacant at Stamford Bridge by Sarri's departure. The same paper also reports Chelsea have rejected £35m bids from Barcelona and Atletico Madrid for Willian, with the Mirror saying Lampard wants the Brazil international to stay.

  • Suarez: Who wouldn't want to enjoy players like Neymar? Suarez: Who wouldn't want to enjoy players like Neymar?

    Luis Suarez would seemingly welcome Neymar back to Barcelona, recalling one of the best years of his career alongside the Brazilian and Lionel Messi.

    Neymar, 27, is linked with a return to the LaLiga champions, two years after making a €222million switch to Paris Saint-Germain.

    The Brazil international spent four seasons at Barca before his move, including winning a treble in 2014-15.

    Suarez said he would be happy to see Neymar, who is sidelined with an ankle injury, back at Camp Nou.

    "I was privileged to fulfil one of the best years of my life as a football player at Barcelona next to the best in the world, Messi, and the second best in the world, Neymar," the Uruguay international told RAC1 on Monday.

    "For me, it was one of the best moments I've ever lived, won the treble."

    Suarez added: "Who would not want to enjoy players like Ney?

    "But he belongs to PSG and these are things that are always talked about during the market."

  • Barcelona won't fall into 'trap' of discussing Neymar return Barcelona won't fall into 'trap' of discussing Neymar return

    Barcelona spokesman Josep Vives wanted to avoid falling into a "trap" by discussing a possible return to the club for Neymar.

    Neymar, 27, has been linked with a return to Camp Nou, two years after making a world-record €222million switch to Paris Saint-Germain.

    But Vives, spokesman for the board of directors, tried to bat away questions about the superstar on Monday.

    "It's something we're not going to get into. Now, he is a PSG player and we do not have to talk," he said, via Marca.

    "We will not say anything because we will fall into a trap."

    Neymar's two seasons at PSG have been hampered by injuries, although he has won two Ligue 1 titles, a Coupe de France and a Coupe de la Ligue.

    Vives refused to say whether the Brazil international, who spent four seasons at Barca, would be welcomed back.

    "We don't leave the door open or closed," he said. "The facts are known. We explained them.

    "He's a PSG player and from there we don't talk about Neymar or anyone. It's PSG. We will not do it here."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.