More waiting for injured Elaine Thompson

By Sports Desk October 26, 2019
Elaine Thompson Elaine Thompson

Injured Jamaican sprinter, double Olympic champion, Elaine Thompson will not know what her recovery will look like for another two weeks.

According to reports out of Jamaica, the Jamaica Gleaner in particular, Thompson, who had to pull out of the 200-metres and the 4x100-metre relay at the recently held IAAF World Championships of Athletics in Doha, Qatar, will be advised in two weeks time.

At the moment, Thompson is wearing an orthopaedic boot on her left leg to mitigate against further damage to her calf and achilles, which have plagued her for the last year and a half.

President of the MVP Track Club, Bruce James, says the boot is just precautionary and that his organization, where Thompson trains, will not be making any statements until the medical team has advised them of what the proposal for recovery will be.

Even though there is some uncertainty about the length of recovery time and whether or not there is a permanent fix for Thompson’s achilles problems, the athlete, is optimistic that her focus will get her into the type of shape to give her a good chance of defending her two Olympic titles.

“Elaine is determined to get back to her very best. She is taking all the necessary steps to make sure that she is at her best for the Tokyo Olympics,” said James.

Related items

  • 2019 World Champ Anderson Peters shows kids track is more than sprints and jumps 2019 World Champ Anderson Peters shows kids track is more than sprints and jumps

    Anderson Peters, the 2019 World Champion in the javelin, believes that in winning the world title in Doha in 2019, could inspire children in his home country of Grenada by showing them that they do not have to be sprinters to succeed in the sport.

  • My Best Olympic Memory...Ato Boldon recalls the psychic who got it wrong in '96 My Best Olympic Memory...Ato Boldon recalls the psychic who got it wrong in '96

    Ato Boldon is one of Trinidad and Tobago’s most successful Olympic athletes having won four medals between the Atlanta Games in 1996 and the Sydney Games four years later.

  • Coronavirus: World Athletics suspends Olympics qualification period until December Coronavirus: World Athletics suspends Olympics qualification period until December

    World Athletics has suspended the qualification period for the postponed Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games until December 1.

    The coronavirus pandemic last month forced the International Olympics Committee (IOC) to postpone the Games until July 23, 2021.

    In line with that decision, World Athletics has decided – in consultation with its Athletes' Commission, area presidents and Council – to alter the qualification period, meaning any results between April 6 and November 30 will not count towards Tokyo 2020 entry standards or world rankings.

    Although qualification status cannot be achieved or boosted in this time, results shall continue to be recorded for statistical purposes, and athletes who had already met entry standards before April 6 will remain qualified.

    Should the global situation improve, qualification will resume on December 1 and run through to new deadlines, which are no later than June 29, 2021.

    World Athletics president Sebastian Coe said: "I am grateful for the detailed work and feedback from our Athletes' Commission and Council, who believe suspending Olympic qualification during this period gives more certainty for athlete planning and preparation, and is the best way to address fairness in what is expected to be the uneven delivery of competition opportunities across the globe for athletes given the challenges of international travel and government border restrictions."

    The organisation also confirmed as of Tuesday, 50 per cent of their "HQ staff" have been furloughed.

    The government of Monaco will contribute 70 per cent of the wages of those staff in question, with World Athletics topping up the rest to ensure employees are paid their salary in full.

    Coe added: "This decision, made possible by the Monaco government, means we will focus only on business-critical activities for the short-term, which will help us manage our cashflow effectively and protect jobs in the long-term.

    "All World Athletics HQ staff will remain on their full salaries during this period with the organisation topping up the Monaco government's contribution.

    "We have taken care to ensure the support and services we provide to our member federations, areas, partners, stakeholders, athletes and the wider athletics community remain in place with a reduced team."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.