Milan-Cortina to host 2026 Winter Olympics

By Sports Desk June 24, 2019

The 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics will take place in Italy after Milan and Cortina d'Ampezzo were announced as hosts.

The Milan-Cortina bid saw off the challenge of Stockholm-Are in a vote at an International Olympic Committee meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland on Monday.

Cortina staged the 1956 Games, while Italy last held the Winter Olympics in 2006, when Turin was the venue.

"Congratulations to Milan-Cortina. We can look forward to an outstanding and sustainable Olympic Winter Games in a traditional winter sports country," IOC President Thomas Bach said in a statement.

"The passion and knowledge of Italian fans, together with experienced venue operators, will create the perfect atmosphere for the best athletes in the world.

"The Olympic Winter Games Milan-Cortina 2026 will feature iconic venues and beautiful settings, combining the attractions of a modern European metropolis with a classic Alpine environment."

The vote count was 47-34 in favour of Milan-Cortina, with one abstention.

Several cities had previously dropped out of the running, even though the IOC relaxed rules over financial guarantees and government support for 2026.

"We have lowered the cost and complexity of developing Games projects, which now serve the long-term development goals of the host communities and have sustainability and legacy at their hearts," Bach added.

"This has led to a significantly reduced organisation budget and the use of 93 per cent existing or temporary competition venues."

Beijing in China will stage the 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympics.

Related items

  • Atletico Madrid spree continues with €29m Hermoso capture Atletico Madrid spree continues with €29m Hermoso capture

    Atletico Madrid's close-season spending spree has continued with the €29million acquisition of Spain defender Mario Hermoso from Espanyol.

    The 24-year-old centre-back has cost Atletico €25m upfront despite having just 12 months left on his Espanyol contract, with Hermoso signing an five-year deal at the Wanda Metropolitano.

    A Real Madrid academy product, Hermoso only made his top-flight debut in the 2017-18 campaign but has since enjoyed a rapid rise.

    Hermoso particularly impressed last term as Espanyol - who have a 20 per cent sell-on clause - finished seventh in LaLiga, earning his first Spain cap last November.

    With Atletico seeing Diego Godin, Lucas Hernandez, Filipe Luis and Juanfran all depart at the end of last season, Hermoso had long been suggested as a likely arrival.

    But Espanyol's apparent initial reluctance to reduce their asking price from the reported €40m release clause in his contract meant negotiations dragged on.

    An agreement has been found, though, and Hermoso is the latest defender to join Atletico after Felipe, Renan Lodi and Kieran Trippier, who arrived a day earlier.

    Hermoso takes Atletico's reported expenditure to €248m with Marcos Llorente, Joao Felix, Hector Herrera, Nicolas Ibanez and Ivan Saponjic also new to the club, although they recouped €120m from Antoine Griezmann's controversial departure to Barcelona.

  • Sturridge banned for six weeks, fined £75,000 for breaching betting rules Sturridge banned for six weeks, fined £75,000 for breaching betting rules

    Former Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge has been banned for six weeks – four of which are suspended – and fined £75,000 for breaching FA betting rules.

    In November 2018, the England international faced eleven misconduct charges, with nine of them concerning alleged breaches of the FA's "inside information rule".

    Sturridge was accused of providing information to family and friends relating to possible transfer moves in January 2018, with the details allegedly used for betting purposes.

    An independent Regulatory Commission dismissed those charges but found Sturridge guilty of two others, in which it was alleged the player told his brother to bet on a potential move away from Liverpool to Spanish side Sevilla.

    A move to LaLiga never materialised and he joined West Brom instead, but the commission found Sturridge was in breach of FA rules because he passed the information on for betting purposes.

    Sturridge's punishment is a six-week suspension from domestic football matches starting July 17, with four weeks of the ban suspended until the end of August 2020.

    Therefore, the striker – who is a free agent following his release by Liverpool – will be free to resume footballing activities by July 31 if he does not commit any further breaches.

    He has also been fined £75,000, though the FA seemingly feel the punishment is insufficient, confirming they will appeal against the dropped charges and the sanction that has been imposed.

  • Juventus seal deal for Ajax's De Ligt Juventus seal deal for Ajax's De Ligt

    Juventus have signed the much-coveted Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax for an initial €75million on a five-year contract, the Serie A champions have confirmed.

    The teenage defender agreed personal terms earlier this month and successfully completed a medical on Wednesday after Juve committed to a steep increase on their reported opening offer of €50m.

    De Ligt's value skyrocketed across two exceptional seasons as part of Ajax's first team, during which the 19-year-old became club captain and one of the most highly rated youngsters in world football.

    Barcelona, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain had all been heavily linked with the Netherlands international before the Bianconeri moved to make him their seventh signing of the close season.

    Juve will pay €75m over five years for the player, plus a further €10.5m in add-ons.

    A powerful, commanding and technically gifted centre-back, De Ligt rose to prominence on a greater scale last season when helping Ajax to the Champions League semi-finals.

    Although they came unstuck in a dramatic collapse against Tottenham, De Ligt starred throughout Ajax's unlikely run, netting the winner in the last-eight victory over Juventus.

    In signing De Ligt, Juve have brought in a worthy heir to club icon Giorgio Chiellini, who celebrates his 35th birthday in August.

    His arrival could conclude Maurizio Sarri's remodelling in defence, the new head coach having already brought in Merih Demiral, Luca Pellegrini and Cristian Romero, who duly rejoined Genoa on loan.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.