"A lot more in the tank", says Bloomfield after personal best 19.81 200m

By July 22, 2018

Following his scorching run over the 200m that produced a personal best of 19.81s on day two of the London Diamond League meeting, Jamaica’s Akeem Bloomfield believes there is a lot more where that came from as he brought an end to his season on Sunday.

Bloomfield, who was running only his third race as a professional, pulled away from a quality field to become the fourth fastest man in the world over the distance this year. Only Noah Lyles of the USA (19.65), Clarence Munyai of South Africa (19.69) and Steven Gardiner of the Bahamas (19.75) have gone faster in 2018.

But according to 20-year-old Jamaican, he won’t be fourth fastest for long.

“To go that fast is an amazing feeling and there is more in the tank,” he told Sportsmax.tv after his race on Sunday.

“With a little more strength work, a little more speed work, (and) some small technical stuff, I think there is a lot more in the tank. A lot of fast times are ahead.”

Running in lane eight, Bloomfield was among the leaders at the top of the home stretch but with about 50m to run, he pulled away from the field to win comfortably ahead of Panama’s Alonso Edwards 20.01s and Ecuador’s Alex Quinonez 20.13.

“It was a very good race. I felt like I executed well. I got a pretty good start compared to what I got in Luzern (where he ran 20.00) and I just kept form, followed through with the race and got the time,” he said.

”19.81 for me is amazing. To be the fourth fastest man in the world this year, I didn’t see this happening but I was patient, my coach was patient, and we just kept putting in the work, fixed the little errors we made in Luzern in this meet and the time, 19.81, is as a result of those fixed errors.

“Right now I am just happy. I am celebrating the moment. Thanks be to God.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • T&T 4x100 athletes officially advised of 2008 gold medals T&T 4x100 athletes officially advised of 2008 gold medals

    Trinidad and Tobago's 2008 men's 4x100m relay team have been officially awarded gold medals by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

    The team of Richard Thompson, Marc Burns, Keston Bledman, Emmanuel Callender and Aaron Armstrong were awarded the gold after the Jamaican relay team’s members, including Usain Bolt, were stripped of their medals when Nesta Carter was found guilty last year of using a banned substance.

    The Trinidad and Tobago team had finished behind the Jamaicans inside Beijing’s Bird’s Nest in Beijing.

    Brian Lewis, President of the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee, said he received a letter from the IOC around 5.15 pm on Friday, went through it with staff then contacted the athletes to let them know.

    He said the athletes have until January 7 to return their silver medals as part of the process.

    He said the athletes have four choices regarding the re-allocation ceremony. They can opt to receive them at the next Olympic Games, at the Olympic Museum, the World Champs or the TTOC's annual awards on December 29.

    Lewis said he is pushing for the team to receive a medal bonus which could hopefully be presented at the awards. The medal bonus programme was introduced when he became TTOC president.

    "I will take a proposal to the committee that even though there was no medal bonus programme in place in 2008 or 2012 that the five athletes receive medal bonus as per the current medal bonus used for 2016 Olympics," he said.

    The bonus for the relay team’s gold medal from the Rio Olympics was US$20,000 to be shared, he said.

    The next executive meeting is on December 12.

    Lewis said he is happy for the team but as President of the Caribbean Association of National Olympic Committees (Canoc), he is conflicted.

    "Those athletes, in particular, have served Trinidad and Tobago with dignity, patriotism, pride and an indomitable will throughout their careers But as I said with my Canoc hat on I feel a bit of empathy for the great man and our Jamaican brothers and sisters. Usain Bolt has conducted himself with class in this difficult situation," he said.

    Lewis said the team has now joined the ranks of  Olympic gold medallists Hasely Crawford and Keshorn Walcott.

    In 2016, the 4x100 relay team that placed third in the London Olympics in 2012 were upgraded to silver after American sprinter Tyson Gay received a one-year ban for testing positive for anabolic steroids.

  • Glenn to stand down as FA boss next year Glenn to stand down as FA boss next year

    Football Association (FA) chief executive Martin Glenn will step down from his position at the end of the 2018-19 season.

    In a statement released by the organisation, Glenn was praised for having "delivered much of what he came to do" and leaving "strong foundations for his successor".

    Glenn was appointed to the role in 2015 and his first major tournament with the FA ended in ignominy, as England were knocked out Euro 2016 by Iceland at the last-16 stage.

    Manager Roy Hodgson resigned and Glenn's tenure was further hit by Sam Allardyce's embarrassingly truncated spell as Hodgson's successor.

    But England regrouped under Gareth Southgate and enjoyed a superb run to the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup.

    Glenn also oversaw the re-organisation of the domestic fixture schedule that will see English football implement a mid-season break from next season.

    "When I accepted the role of CEO at the FA, I was tasked with improving the effectiveness of the organisation and making it financially secure," Glenn said.

    "I also joined with the strong belief that the England team's performance in tournaments could and should improve, and that the experience of the millions of people who play football could be a better one.

    "I will leave feeling proud of the success of the performance of all the England teams. I am confident that we have established, in St George's Park, a world-class centre which will ensure that the teams will continue to build on their current successes.

    "I hope that the FA will be able to build on this by accelerating the breakthrough of English qualified players into the first teams."

     

    England's age-group teams have entered a dominant period during Glenn's time in charge, with the Under-17 and Under-20 sides both becoming World Cup winners in 2017.

    It has also been a spell of success for the England women's team, who achieved a best-ever finish of third at the 2015 World Cup and reached the semi-finals of Euro 2017.

    The manager who oversaw those campaigns, Mark Sampson, was subsequently sacked after evidence of "inappropriate and unacceptable" behaviour with female players during his time at Bristol Academy.

    Sampson was also found to have made racially discriminatory remarks towards England players Eniola Aluko and Drew Spence. The FA apologised to Aluko and Spence but a Department of Digital Culture, Media and Sport select committee inquiry invited further scrutiny upon Glenn and his organisation.

    He denied allegations that he tried to "blackmail" Aluko into making a statement to say the FA is not institutionally racist.

    In the press release announcing Glenn's departure, the FA said: "Under his leadership, our culture has changed. He has recruited a new team which has helped make us a more progressive, effective and diverse organisation. Now, 34 per cent of our staff are female and 12 per cent from a BAME background.

    "Martin has also been unrelenting in his commitment to women's football, with a record expenditure into all areas of women's football. We are well on track to deliver our commitment to double participation in the game by 2020.

    "In his three-and-a-half years at the helm, Glenn has overseen a 40 per cent increase in revenue but he saw a proposed £600million bid to buy Wembley from Shahid Khan collapse when the billionaire Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham owner pulled out.

    FA chairman Greg Clarke praised Glenn, saying: "His integrity, commitment, energy and passion for football has underpinned the improvements on and off the pitch.

    "The resulting commercial success has funded hugely significant change in the women's game, St George's Park, the FA Cup and the national teams.

    "Martin leaves as his legacy an organisation that is fit for purpose, more diverse, internationally respected and ready to progress to the next level."

     

  • Zone Blitz: Who was the better batsman, Brian Lara or Sachin Tendulkar? Zone Blitz: Who was the better batsman, Brian Lara or Sachin Tendulkar?

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

Another medal for Jamaica's darling of the pool. https://t.co/Cixzy1xcnT https://t.co/dcsXo8pf9w
Nothing seems capable of stopping the Manchester Spurs so far this season. https://t.co/BhNgj21aZc https://t.co/xBAo994a1x
TT Netball focussed on 2019 World Cup. https://t.co/qLwz22K9iZ https://t.co/3BIR59cvvS
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.