GraceKennedy CEO condemns Calabar incident, calls for change

By March 25, 2019

On the eve of the 109th staging of the ISSA Boys and Girls Championships, title sponsor GraceKennedy has released a statement condemning the recent incident in which a teacher claimed he was assaulted by two of Calabar High School’s star athletes on December 15, 2018.

The teacher, Sanjaye Shaw, the head of the school's Physics Department, who only reported the incident to the police on Friday, hosted a press conference in Kingston later Friday afternoon, outlining the circumstances that led to the confrontation between himself and the two students over mattresses.

The two athletes were subsequently suspended but the teacher believes one of them should be barred from competing at the championships because that student was allowed to train on school grounds and compete for the school during the time he was suspended.

 In response, the school released a statement on Sunday in which it outlined its side of the situation. In that statement, the school’s principal said the students were allowed to train and compete during the suspension.

Don Wehby, GraceKennedy’s CEO, took a keen interest in the matter and having met with the Inter-secondary School Sports Association said he is disappointed in what has transpired so far.

“We met with ISSA President, Dr Walton Small, Vice President, Mr Keith Wellington and Chairman of the Organising Committee, Mrs Colleen Montague this morning (Monday). We had a thorough and frank discussion regarding the alleged incident, which, if true, presents a very serious concern for GraceKennedy as title sponsors of the event and, which GraceKennedy would condemn in the strongest possible terms,” Wehby said in the statement.

“This is the single largest sponsorship for GraceKennedy anywhere in the world, to the tune of over JMD$100 million, and as such the implications for us are huge.

“We have taken the matter so seriously that we have consulted with our attorneys, who have advised that GraceKennedy does not have the power to decide which athletes participate in Champs and cannot determine what action the school or ISSA takes with regard to the alleged incident.  Further, having met with ISSA this morning, we have now been made to understand that ISSA is also not in a position to make such a determination. The decision rests squarely with the Board of Calabar High School.”

Two athletes were suspended for five days each, according to the statement released by the school.

However, Wehby said that there are lessons to learn from the situation.

“This entire situation represents an opportunity for change and is a teachable moment for all stakeholders including all School Boards and the Ministry of Education. Our understanding is that there is currently a Code of Regulations under the Education Act, which governs the conduct of students in schools, and which is currently under review,” the CEO said.

“This alleged incident provides an opportunity for the acceleration of this review, so that, in the future, anyone in breach will be held firmly to account.”  

“He concluded that they are committed to working with ISSA, with whom we have enjoyed a mutually beneficial relationship over the years, for the continued success of this world-class event.

Calabar High School is going for an eighth consecutive title at the championships.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • U-20 Reggae Girlz battle back in thrilling contest against Guatemala U-20 Reggae Girlz battle back in thrilling contest against Guatemala

    There was no shortage of drama in Group E on Saturday at the 2020 Concacaf Women’s Under-20 Championship, with Jamaica rallying from three goals down to tie Guatemala 4-4 at the Estadio Panamericano in San Cristobal.

    Guatemala looked to be in control and held a 3-0 lead thanks to goals from Sandra Ovando (12’), Andrea Alvarez (26’) and Maria Recinos (34’).

    But the Reggae Girls would mount a ferocious comeback and would take a 4-3 lead on a goal from Jody Brown (50’) and a hat trick scored by Marlee Fray (53’, 68’, 76’).

    Guatemala would have an answer though, as Alvarez scored her second of the day (78’), leading to a share of the spoils between the two sides.

    The group’s other game saw Canada muscle past a tough El Salvador squad, 2-0.

    The two teams were locked in a stalemate until Tanya Boychuk (56’) found the breakthrough. Canada then polished off the three points and the 2-0 scoreline with a goal from Kaila Novak (71’).

    Action in Group E resumes on Monday with El Salvador tangling with Jamaica, while Canada will face Guatemala.

  • Yulimar Rojas' 15.43m shatters triple jump world record in Madrid Yulimar Rojas' 15.43m shatters triple jump world record in Madrid

    Venezuela's Yulimar Rojas smashed the world indoor triple jump record at the Meeting Villa de Madrid, the final World Athletics Indoor Tour meeting of the season, on Friday.

    Rojas set a mark of 15.43m eclipsing the mark of 15.36m set by Russia's Tatyana Lebedova in Budapest in 2004.

    The two-time world champion opened with a foul but then registered a valid 14.65m in round two to take the lead.

    She fouled again in round three before sailing out to 15.29m in round four, breaking her own South American indoor record and moving to second on the world indoor all-time list.

    Then on her final jump before a packed Polideportivo Gallur, Rojas achieved her world record mark, adding seven centimetres to the world indoor record that had stood since 2004.

    It was also two centimetres farther than her outdoor PB and is the absolute second-best triple jump performance, indoors or outdoors.

  • Jamaica International Invitational to return in 2020 as Continental World Series silver meet Jamaica International Invitational to return in 2020 as Continental World Series silver meet

    After an absence of a year, the Jamaica International Invitational (JII) will return to the track and field calendar in 2020 as a part of the World Athletics Continental Series.

     However, the meet will carry a silver designation in the World Athletics Continental World Series launched earlier year.

    The Continental World Series will replace the World Challenge events as the second tier of competition under the Diamond League, and the four events that have been controversially cut, either partially or completely, from the latter competition for next season will have senior status within the new format.

    The four events - triple jump, discus, 200 metres and 3,000m steeplechase - will be part of the core events in the top, or Gold level of the Tour, which will also have Silver and Bronze levels.

    The JII meet was first held in 2004 and for eight years was a World Challenge meet, one tier down from the prestigious Diamond League designation. However, in 2019, due largely to financial constraints, the meet was cancelled.

    “It is with regret that we inform you that due to budget issues the 2019 staging of the Jamaica International Invitational IAAF World Challenge Meeting has been cancelled,” a statement on the meeting’s website said.

    However, Dr Warren Blake, President of the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) said then that he was confident the meet would return in 20020. On Friday, he confirmed that the meet would be back.

    According to the JII website, the meet is set for May 2, 2020.

     “There will be a meet this year,” said Dr Blake who added that Athletes’ Liaison Donald Quarrie has been assembling a quality field of athletes to participate at the meet.

    However, the meet will be taken down a peg, as it will only have a silver designation among the meets that fall under the umbrella of the Continental World Series.

    Dr Blake explained that following the debacle that led to the cancellation of the meet in 2019, earlier this year, World Athletics had sought assurances that there would not be a repeat of what occurred in 2019. They demanded a written guarantee that funding would be in place for this year’s meet.

    However, the local organisers missed the deadline by a few days, which resulted in the meet missing the gold-level designation now enjoyed by the Racers Grand Prix set to run off in June.

    Dr Blake said World Athletics will be reviewing the Continental Series at the end of the season and they are hopeful that the JII will obtain a gold designation going forward.

    A press conference to announce details pertaining to the 2020 Jamaica International Invitational is set to be held sometime in March.

     

     

     

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.