Despite loss of sponsor, ISSA to maintain cash support to schools at Champs 2019

By March 13, 2019

President of the Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association Dr Walton Small said plans to increase financial support for schools participating in the 2019 Boys and Girls has been put on hold until they can find a sponsor to replace telecommunications company Flow.

Flow’s three-year JMD$81 million sponsorship of Champs ended in 2018 with the company deciding that their 10-year relationship with the all-island, high school championships had come to an end.

Dr.Small, who steps down from the presidency in June, said the loss of the sponsor has been impactful. ISSA provides each school participating in the championships with a minimum of JMD$50,000 plus additional funds to assist with transportation. The farther the school is from Kingston, the more they receive for transportation.

Also, the number of points each school earns at Champs will also factor into how much money each school gets. For each point won at Champs, a school gets somewhere between JMD$2500 and $3000 per point earned.

In some instances, schools can literally walk away with millions of dollars that go towards their athletic programme.

The ISSA president said that with the loss of the sponsor, ISSA will now have to absorb those costs for Champs 2019 set for March 26-30 at the National Stadium in Kingston.

“The impact would have been significant but one of the things I indicated when I took over as president is that we must always have something for a rainy day like this,” he told Sportsmax.TV during the launch of the 2019 Championships at the Spanish Court Hotel in Kingston on Wednesday.

“ISSA will be taking up the deficit because we are going to make sure that the quality of the competition is even better. Yes, we understand that sometimes you have to invest in your own product.

“We were thinking of increase the re-flows  to schools but we will not be able to do it this year. But come next year it will happen because we are now going to go back to the market to get a significant sponsor and once we get that sponsors we will be able to give an increase of reflows to our schools.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Calabar had major doubts regarding teacher’s assault – press release attempts to explain school’s version of events Calabar had major doubts regarding teacher’s assault – press release attempts to explain school’s version of events

    Calabar acting-principal Calvin Rowe has defended the school’s handling of the incident involving high school track stars Chris Taylor and De’Jour Russell, in the wake of public backlash and some biting criticism.

    The athletes Taylor and Russell, who are expected to represent the school at the ISSA Boys and Girls’ Championship later this week, were accused of assaulting high school physics teacher Sanjay Shaw in December of last year. 

    Despite several months elapsing since the incident, the teacher has recently expressed dissatisfaction with how the issue was handled.  In a press conference, held late last week, he accused the school of putting sporting interest over academics and tardiness in addressing the issue.   

    In a press release, posted on the school’s website, however, Rowe denied placing athletics above academics and attempted to addressing accusations of addressing the issue late.

    According to the release, no action was taken sooner, regarding the teacher’s alleged attack, because Rowe was waiting on evidence of the assault, which the teacher claimed to have recorded on video. 

    The document goes on to state that having reviewed the evidence and conducted interviews with the students, it was decided only a strong reprimand was required as there was not enough strong evidence of an assault.

    A doctor’s report submitted by Shaw, however, stated that the injuries he received were minor but were likely the result of blunt force trauma.

    “It became clear to us as the investigations proceeded that there were conflicting accounts on key aspects, for example, the two students involved strongly denied assaulting Mr. Shaw and testified instead to the contrary; while one student admitted to shoving the teacher’s phone from the face of his teammate he was adamant that he did not step on the instrument,” the press release read.

    “Having taken all things into consideration and noting the conflicting reports and the lack of evidence of any assault on the video footage, we decided not to escalate the matter to the Board but to deal with it at the level of the school’s senior leadership team,” it continued.

    The document goes on to state that following Shaw’s insistence and a re-interview with the students, it was later, however, decided to suspend both athletes for five days.  They were, however, allowed to train and represent the school during the period, which continues to be a sore point for the physics teacher.

    “Giving thought to Mr. Shaw’s insistence and even though I had made it clear that the nature of the punishment was not his prerogative, upon further reflection I decided to go a step further. The two students were re-interviewed and while their testimonies were unchanged I decided to suspend them for 5 days with the proviso that they were required to work on their CAPE SBAs, they were allowed to train and they would compete in their final development meet. It ought to be noted that both punitive measures were aimed at addressing the matter of disobedience to a teacher’s directive and NOT for assault, which, as was said earlier, we could not validate independently and with sufficient conviction,” the document said.

    Below is the full version of the press release.

     

    http://calabarhighschool.com/content/press-release-calabar-high-school-response-public-complaint-sanjay-shaw-march-24-2019

     

  • Physics teacher adamant that Christopher Taylor be banned from Champs 2019 Physics teacher adamant that Christopher Taylor be banned from Champs 2019

    Armed with videos, emails and a bill outlining his medical expenses, Sanjaye Shaw, the Head of the Physics Department at Calabar High School alleged on Friday that high school’s track star Christopher Taylor grabbed him by the throat during an incident that occurred on the school grounds on December 15, 2018.

  • Semenya optimistic despite CAS delay in case against IAAF Semenya optimistic despite CAS delay in case against IAAF

    Caster Semenya is optimistic she will win her case against the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) despite a delay in the process.

    Semenya is challenging proposed IAAF regulations affecting women with higher than normal levels of testosterone who compete in track events ranging from 400 metres up to a mile.

    But the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) announced on Thursday that it will take more time to make a decision on the case after new evidence was submitted.

    Responding through a statement on Friday, Semenya and her legal team noted that the delay "will not prejudice any potentially affected athletes" as the regulations remain suspended.

    The statement added: "Caster Semenya remains optimistic that the CAS will declare the IAAF's regulations unlawful, invalid and of no effect.

    "This outcome would prevent women athletes from ever having to undergo medical interventions in an attempt to comply with these regulations.

    "Caster Semenya wishes to express her thanks for the overwhelming support shown to her and to women athletes throughout the world since the hearing began [on February 18]."

    The new IAAF regulations were due to come into place last November.

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.