Manchester United great Scholes takes charge at Oldham

By Sports Desk February 11, 2019

Paul Scholes has been appointed manager of Oldham Athletic on a one-and-a-half-year-deal, the club have confirmed.

Former England international Scholes, who spent his whole playing career at Premier League giants Manchester United, was a boyhood Oldham fan.

And the 44-year-old will now take charge of the League Two side, his first permanent role in senior management.

Scholes has long been linked with the Oldham job and emerged as the frontrunner for the post after the December sacking of Frankie Bunn.

A complication was Scholes' involvement in non-league Salford City, where he is a co-owner along with fellow former United stars David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Ryan Giggs, Phil Neville and Gary Neville.

But Scholes - who resigned as a Salford director - has now been cleared to take charge of Oldham and his first game in charge will come at home to Yeovil Town on Tuesday.

Speaking about the appointment, Oldham owner Abdallah Lemsagam said: "Paul has won everything there is to win in football.

"He is a man who will bring a lot of footballing knowledge and his hunger to succeed in management will be there for everyone to see.

"It's no secret how much he has wanted this job in the past and how much he loves this club, so I'm very happy to bring him into our family at Oldham Athletic.

"Paul will have my backing 100 per cent and hopefully we can work together to bring success back to this club."

Related items

  • Neville urges six-month social media boycott following Pogba abuse Neville urges six-month social media boycott following Pogba abuse

    Phil Neville has called for the football community to boycott social media for six months after the latest instance of high-profile racist abuse.

    England women's manager Neville was reacting to Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba being targeted online after he had a penalty saved in Monday's 1-1 Premier League draw at Wolves.

    Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham and Reading's Yakou Meite have also been subjected to similar abuse over the past week following their own penalty failures.

    United issued a statement branding the slurs directed towards Pogba as "disgusting" and called for social media companies to take action as they work to identify the perpetrators in this instance.

    However, Neville has little faith in the likes of Twitter and Instagram making a meaningful difference and called on those within the game to take a stand.

    "I've lost total faith in whoever runs these social media departments, so I just wonder whether now as a football community, in terms of really sending a powerful message, is: come off social media," he said at a news conference ahead of his team's matches against Belgium and Norway.

    "Six months – let's come off social media. Let's see the effect that it has on these social media companies, whether they're really going to do something about it."

    Neville also spoke out last October after former England and Chelsea star Karen Carney received rape and death threats on Instagram.

    "We talk to them all the time because my players get that kind of abuse all the time, whether it’s racist, whether it’s sexist, whether it’s homophobic,” he continued.

    "They get that kind of abuse. Nothing gets done about it, but we experienced it earlier in the season.

    "It's not going away, I think there’s some fantastic campaigns, initiatives, messaging that goes out, particularly in the Premier League, through the FA, about trying to stamp out racism.

    "And at times, you feel as if you're making inroads, and then you get probably a massive reminder that actually we’re probably not.

    "It’s a problem not just in football – it’s a problem in society, but football now is at the forefront of everybody’s minds in terms of, we’ve got the power to do something about it. I think the football community will.

    "I think we try, but it’s getting to the point now where I think we need to make a real strong message, and I say to every single footballer out there, and to every club, and to the PFA: why don't we make a big stand? Come off social media. Boycott all social media now and see if that makes a big enough impact."

    Pogba's United team-mate Harry Maguire called for all social media accounts to be verified and Neville suggested he would support such an approach.

    "Maguire said this morning about being verified, giving passport details and addresses to be hold accountable for posting such disgusting things," he added.

    "You can be an egg on Twitter and no one knows who you are."

    Anti-discrimination pressure group Kick It Out has lamented the "increasingly predictable" nature of online attacks.

    "This is a call to action – we want to know what they [social media companies] are going to do to tackle this insidious problem," a Kick It Out statement read.

  • Maguire advocates for social media verification after racial abuse of Pogba Maguire advocates for social media verification after racial abuse of Pogba

    Manchester United defender Harry Maguire has urged social media platforms to strengthen identification protocols after "pathetic trolls" aimed racial abuse at Paul Pogba.

    United midfielder Pogba became the latest subject of discriminatory posts online after failing to convert a penalty in the 1-1 draw against Wolves at Molineux on Monday.

    Chelsea youngster Tammy Abraham and Reading striker Yakou Meite faced similar abuse within the past week.

    United described the offensive comments as "disgusting" and called on social media companies to take action, supporting the public stance taken by anti-discrimination organisation Kick It Out.

    England international Maguire took to Twitter to recommend a stricter authentication process for users.

    "Disgusting," Maguire wrote. "Social media need to do something about it. 

    "Every account that is opened should be verified by a passport/driving licence. Stop these pathetic trolls making numerous accounts to abuse people."

    In a statement, Kick It Out shone a light on the growing volume of "unwarranted and vile racist abuse" directed towards players.

    "The number of posts such as these since the start of the season highlights how discriminatory abuse online is out of control," the statement read.

    "Without immediate and the strongest possible action these cowardly acts will continue to grow."

    Marcus Rashford echoed the sentiment as he backed team-mate Pogba.

    Tagging Twitter, the forward posted: "Enough now, this needs to stop. Manchester United is a family. Paul Pogba is a huge part of that family. You attack him you attack us all."

  • Manchester United 'disgusted' by racial abuse of Paul Pogba Manchester United 'disgusted' by racial abuse of Paul Pogba

    Manchester United are working to identify the individuals who aimed "disgusting" racial abuse at Paul Pogba following the Premier League match against Wolves.

    Midfielder Pogba was the subject of discriminatory posts online after failing to convert a penalty in the 1-1 draw at Molineux on Monday.

    It is the third high-profile instance in less than seven days of a footballer in England being targeted with racial abuse on social media.

    Chelsea last week condemned "abhorrent posts" aimed at Tammy Abraham after the forward had a spot-kick saved in the UEFA Super Cup loss to Liverpool.

    Reading striker Yakou Meite shared a screenshot of racially offensive messages he received in the wake of a late miss in Sunday's 3-0 victory over Cardiff City.

    United pledged to take the "strongest course of action available" in a statement released to the media.

    It read: "Everyone at Manchester United is disgusted by the racial abuse aimed at Paul Pogba last night and we utterly condemn it.

    "The individuals who expressed these views do not represent the values of our great club and it is encouraging to see the vast majority of our fans condemn this on social media also.

    "Manchester United has zero tolerance of any form of racism or discrimination and a long-standing commitment to campaigning against it through our #AllRedAllEqual initiative.

    "We will work to identify the few involved in these incidents and take the strongest course of action available to us.

    "We also encourage social media companies to take action in these cases."

    United's urging of social media platforms to stamp out racial abuse comes after Kick It Out lamented the "increasingly predictable" nature of the attacks.

    "This is a call to action – we want to know what they are going to do to tackle this insidious problem," the anti-discrimination organisation said in a statement.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.