Nantes announce plan to retire No.9 jersey in Sala's honour

By Sports Desk February 08, 2019

Nantes have announced they will retire their number nine jersey after the body recovered from a plane wreckage in the English Channel was confirmed as that of former striker Emiliano Sala.

The UK's Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) confirmed on Wednesday that a body had been passed to the Dorset Coroner, having been recovered with the help of specialist contractors, and it was identified as Sala a day later.

The Piper Malibu aircraft disappeared with Sala and pilot David Ibbotson aboard on January 21, with the 28-year-old en route to Cardiff City having completed a club-record transfer from Ligue 1 side Nantes.

Sala had been a fan favourite at Nantes prior to his transfer, having scored 42 Ligue 1 goals in the last three-and-a-half years, with 12 of those coming in just 19 appearances this season.

Following Thursday's announcement, Nantes president Waldemar Kita confirmed the striker's number nine shirt would be retired as a mark of respect.

"I don't have the words. It's a tragedy, I'm crushed," Kita said. "Emiliano left his mark. 

"That's why, like many fans, I wish to honour him by retiring the number nine."

Kita's comments were part of club statement that expressed the devastation caused by the loss of their former frontman.

It read: "Nantes had the immense sadness on Thursday to learn that the body found was that of Emiliano Sala.

"This news puts an end to interminable and unbearable waiting. Emiliano will forever be one of the legends who has written the great history of Nantes.

"There are difficult mornings, nightmarish awakenings, where unhappily reality hits us. Emi is gone.

"Emiliano Sala arrived on the backs of the Edre in July 2015 and knew how to win the hearts of the Nantes supporters.

"With his work, his desire and his kindness without limits, he finished as the club's top scorer in his three seasons.

"The homages paid to him nationally and internationally match the player and person that he was. Today, we have lost a friend, a talented player and an exemplary team-mate.

"We can't forget in this drama the pilot and his family and have confidence that the authorities will continue their search.

"Nantes, its board, its staff and its players, wish to pass the families of Emiliano Sala and David Ibbotson their deepest condolences. We will never forget you Emi.

"He's an Argentine who never gives up, Emiliano Sala, Emiliano Sala…"

Related items

  • Liverpool must make a stand or nothing changes - Klopp defends FA Cup stance Liverpool must make a stand or nothing changes - Klopp defends FA Cup stance

    Jurgen Klopp defended his decision to rest players and not take charge of Liverpool's upcoming FA Cup fourth-round replay with Shrewsbury Town, insisting he is taking a stand for the good of English football.

    Liverpool were held to a 2-2 draw by Shrewsbury at the New Meadow on Sunday, meaning the League One side will play a lucrative replay at Anfield next week.

    But that match is due to fall within the Premier League's inaugural mid-season break, when Klopp had promised his senior players they would be afforded time off to recover before the campaign's final push.

    Klopp received criticism for his decision, with some suggesting he was disrespecting the FA Cup and others calling him "lazy", but the German will not renege on his promises.

    Speaking ahead of Wednesday's Premier League meeting with West Ham, Klopp launched a lengthy and impassioned defence of his plans.

    He said: "I have to make decisions based on the situation we are in, some people made other decisions before the season. Whoever it was – and okay, the FA tried to do something with moving games to midweek to decrease intensity – but it came out and whoever was involved, if someone from our club was involved and forgot to say no, I don't know exactly how it was discussed.

    "The situation ends up, we are given two weeks [off]. In the first moment I thought, okay, two weeks, but it was not clear which week you get, and then we started going a bit into it and then we saw if we get the second week we probably get a Champions League game in that week.

    "We cannot make then a week off and say there are two days to prepare for Atletico Madrid in this case, so the other week was the first week, for the Champions League teams it's the better week as there's no Champions League games.

    "And then it came up, 'Oh, there could be a potential [FA Cup] replay.' Because we plan in the long term, I cannot plan like this [at short notice], especially in a really decisive period of the season coming up, so I decided we will have a mid-season break, based on a letter [from the FA] that we got in April 2019 when we were asked to respect a mid-season break.

    "I know how it sounds now and I don't want to be in the middle of all discussions, I'm not a revolution guy or trying to show the whole world how strong I can be or whatever, it's not the reason. If people think that I'm lazy because I'm not here [for the match], I cannot change that.

    "People can name me whatever, I'm not too interested in that because the only responsibility I have is for my players, and for all the [Premier League] players as well.

    "If we react now in the way we always react, like, 'We have to sort it somehow, we'll be here and find a way to do it,' then nothing will change. I think all people in football agree that something has to change, and people have to speak.

    "I don't know who was there [at the FA meeting to discuss the mid-season break], I know the FA said all the clubs agreed, but no sports-responsible people were there. There was not a manager or a sporting director there, that's what we need, that must change as well, otherwise next year we have exactly the same.

    "I made a decision and now it looks like people want something different from me, so I cannot do what all the people want. Could I be here for the game? Of course I could, but that's again a complete misunderstanding of managing and coaching.

    "The mid-season break is now something that has to be settled for the next years and all the different parties need to find a solution, so it will not be like this year again, where it's possible that you have one [a break], but you may not.

    "We do it to make a clear standpoint, and again, if people call me lazy or disrespectful to cup competitions, it's all not true.

    "Every year we are trying to find our way through the season and it's absolutely okay, it's our job, but if then part of these long-term plans is a mid-season break, then it has to be a mid-season break and you cannot get it [taken] away a week before you have it. That's not possible."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Fernandinho signs one-year contract extension with Man City BREAKING NEWS: Fernandinho signs one-year contract extension with Man City

    Fernandinho will not be leaving Manchester City at the end of the season after the Brazilian secured a one-year contract extension.

    The 34-year-old was seemingly set to depart in July, with his previous deal approaching its conclusion, but City have ensured he will be around for at least another season.

    An intelligent combative midfielder, Fernandinho joined City from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013 and has been a revelation, appearing in at least 29 Premier League matches in every campaign.

    He has remained a key figure this term, playing 20 of the champions' 24 top-flight games, filling in at centre-back for many of those due to City's defensive injury crisis.

    City are already set to lose David Silva this year, with the Spaniard previously confirming his plan to return to Spain to be closer to his family.

    Fernandinho has won three Premier League titles at City, though he looks unlikely to add to that tally this season with Liverpool 16 points clear of Pep Guardiola's men at the summit.

  • Mane expected to miss two more games with small muscle tear Mane expected to miss two more games with small muscle tear

    Jurgen Klopp has confirmed forward Sadio Mane is likely to miss Liverpool's next two matches with a small muscle tear.

    Senegal international Mane pulled up in the first half of Liverpool's 2-1 win at Wolves last Thursday with a hamstring complaint.

    The 27-year-old was absent for the 2-2 draw with Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday and will miss the Premier League trip to West Ham on Wednesday.

    However, Klopp only expects Mane to miss one other match - a home clash against his former club Southampton on Saturday - as the damage is not as bad as first feared.

    "Sadio will not be involved for West Ham and probably not Southampton," Klopp said at a news conference on Tuesday.

    "Afterwards he should be fine, then the week after that should be perfect for him to get back on track. 

    "He has a small muscle tear, which is serious enough to rule him out, but we've been a little bit lucky with the injury as well so it's not that serious. 

    "But when you have three games in a week it means he's out for three games."

    Mane has started 21 of Liverpool's 23 Premier League matches this season and has been used 31 times in all competitions.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.