Mourinho takes TV pundit job after denying Benfica link

By Sports Desk January 10, 2019

Jose Mourinho will appear as a television pundit for beIN SPORTS, the broadcaster has confirmed.

Mourinho was sacked by Manchester United last month and the Red Devils have won all five games under interim replacement Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

The Portuguese has denied he is set to return to the Primeira Liga by taking charge of Benfica, while returns to either Inter or Real Madrid have also been mooted.

"I do not like feeding news stories, but I have no intention of working in Portugal," he said to Correio da Manha on Thursday. "The best way to respect a great club [Benfica] and a great president is to say that I was not approached."

But Mourinho is back in work after agreeing a deal with beIN that will see him cover Premier League and Asian Cup matches for the broadcaster.

Mourinho's first appearance on beIN will be for Thursday's Asian Cup group stage fixture between Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

He will resume punditry duties two days later for a Premier League clash between Arsenal and Chelsea, one of his former clubs.

Mourinho is no newcomer to punditry work as he was part of Russia-based RT's coverage for the 2018 World Cup.

Related items

  • Klopp dismisses Coutinho rumours Klopp dismisses Coutinho rumours

    Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp dismissed speculation Barcelona star Philippe Coutinho could return to the Premier League leaders.

    Coutinho has struggled to cement a spot in Barca's starting XI this season, having only arrived from Liverpool in a £142million deal last January.

    The Brazil international has been linked with former club Liverpool as well as Premier League rivals Manchester United.

    Asked about the rumours, Klopp told reporters: "That is something I don't want to talk about. I would not say it is a potential transfer or a likely one.

    "Nothing to say. Whatever I say would open more stories and there is no story.

    "Phil is at Barcelona and as I know he fits really well and everything is fine."

    Klopp's own future was discussed ahead of Liverpool's clash with Crystal Palace on Saturday.

    The German boss signed a six-year contract extension in 2016 and Klopp is not interested in a new deal at Anfield, where Liverpool are four points clear atop the table.

    "I would be really happy if they didn't come now because I don't want to think about it," Klopp said.

    "I have a long time, there will be a lot of changes before then [2022] but I don't want to think about it at the moment. I am completely in this year and next year and then we will see."

  • Solskjaer: Lukaku is big part of Man United squad Solskjaer: Lukaku is big part of Man United squad

    Manchester United caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insisted Romelu Lukaku is a "big part" of his squad, despite the Belgian striker finding himself on the bench at Old Trafford.

    Lukaku has only started one match since Solskjaer replaced Jose Mourinho last month - a FA Cup third-round victory over Reading - amid a six-game winning streak.

    The Belgium international has made three substitute appearances in the Premier League, scoring twice, as Solskjaer prefers a front three of Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard.

    However, Solskjaer said Lukaku remains an important member of United's side ahead of Saturday's clash with Brighton and Hove Albion.

    "He's a big part of the squad, definitely, with his personality around the place," Solskjaer said. "There's no one scoring as many goals as him in training. 

    "There are the three who play the most but then you've got [Romelu Lukaku], you've got Juan [Mata], you've got Alexis [Sanchez], so I've got a front six I can rotate with and Rom is definitely going to be playing games."

    Solskjaer, whose in-form United are sixth and level on points with fifth-placed Arsenal, continued: "I used to be one of four strikers when we played with two. Now we have six forwards and we play with three most of the time.

    "We'll be OK to be able to rotate and there’s enough games and playing time. 

    "It's about taking the chances when you get them, and to be fair, Rom has scored three already and Marcus has scored three. Paul [Pogba]'s scored four since I came here. It's up to the strikers to take them."

  • Napoli slam FIGC decision to reject Koulibaly appeal Napoli slam FIGC decision to reject Koulibaly appeal

    Napoli say the decision to reject Kalidou Koulibaly's appeal against his red card against Inter is a wasted opportunity in the battle against racism.

    Koulibaly was shown two yellow cards in quick succession during the 1-0 defeat at San Siro on Boxing Day, the second coming after he sarcastically applauding the referee.

    The Senegal defender was targeted by racist abuse from the stands throughout the game in Milan and head coach Carlo Ancelotti said Koulibaly was "nervous and the mood at the time was not his best".

    Napoli said the game should have been suspended due to the taunts from the crowd and the club's lawyer vowed to fight any suspension.

    However, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) appeals court rejected his claim on Friday, leading to condemnation from Napoli, who believe the governing body have "degraded" football and hampered their fight to stop racism.

    The club statement read: "The decision of the FIGC appeals court to turn down our appeal against Koulibaly's ban is a sad defeat both for football and the wider issue raised by this whole affair, namely, the fight against discrimination of all sorts, which is still part of football and society.

    "A battle that UEFA has been fighting for years – and which Napoli has always supported – has thus been degraded.

    "UEFA and FIFA have condemned what happened, saying that protocol was not respected and that the match should have been suspended. All manner of public figures, from mayors to artists, footballers and coaches have offered their solidarity while expressing their indignation.

    "Rarely in Italy have we witnessed such unanimous condemnation from society as a whole.

    "Then there was the appeal itself, where the judges said they are completely aware of what happened and that they are on Koulibaly's side as a man. They encouraged him not to give up or feel alone, which, he explained, in a sincere and moving speech, is how he felt that evening. Just as he explained to the judges how embarrassed he felt when he had to tell his parents, and his mother in particular, what had happened.

    "After all these extraordinary events, the appeal was turned down. A procedural rule was incapable of doing the only thing there was to do: give back to Kalidou Koulibaly – this Senegalese lad who, in light of these events, represents everything that is good and bad in Italy at the moment – the dignity he deserves.

    "Koulibaly, Italian football and the institutions all come out of this degraded. Koulibaly's ban should have been overturned regardless of the rules and the bureaucracy. All this does is kill football. Because football is above all a passion that unites billions of people around the world, and it should not be derided like this.

    "A great opportunity has been missed today. Sadly it proves there is still much to do and many things to change."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.