NBA

Coronavirus: NBA Hall of Famer Ewing tests positive for COVID-19

By Sports Desk May 22, 2020

Georgetown coach and NBA Hall of Fame center Patrick Ewing revealed he has tested positive for coronavirus.  

Ewing, 57, said he elected to share his diagnosis publicly on Friday to emphasise that this virus can affect anyone.

The New York Knicks great and 11-time All-Star is under care and isolated at a local hospital.

Ewing is the only member of the Georgetown men's basketball program to have tested positive for COVID-19.

"I want to share that I have tested positive for COVID-19," Ewing said in the statement released by Georgetown. "This virus is serious and should not be taken lightly.  

"I want to encourage everyone to stay safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones. Now more than ever, I want to thank the healthcare workers and everyone on the front lines. I'll be fine and we will all get through this."

Ewing won a national championship with Georgetown in 1984 and won gold medals with Team USA at the 1984 and 1992 Olympics.

The former Seattle SuperSonics and Orlando Magic center was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2008. 

Related items

  • McMillan signs Pacers contract extension McMillan signs Pacers contract extension

    Head coach Nate McMillan has signed a one-year contract extension with the Indiana Pacers.

    McMillan is in his fourth year in charge of the Pacers and on Wednesday confirmed he has reached an agreement to extend his stay.

    "I just felt that that was appropriate for both sides," McMillan said before the Pacers' NBA game against the Houston Rockets.

    "Normally I don't do any negotiations until after the end of the season. This has been an unusual season for all of us - myself, the organisation, the NBA. And we've been talking about this and thought that one-year extension was really the appropriate thing for both sides."

    Terms for McMillan's contract were not disclosed as the Pacers prepare to feature in the playoffs or a fourth consecutive season.

    Pacers president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard said: "What Nate has done in four seasons with our franchise merits this extension.

    "Between injuries and changes in personnel, he and his coaching staff have adapted and produced positive results. He also represents the franchise, the city and our state in a first-class manner."

    The experienced McMillan has 16 NBA seasons under his belt as a head coach, having previously led the Portland Trail Blazers and Seattle SuperSonics.

  • Coronavirus: UCI Road World Championships cancelled but could be moved Coronavirus: UCI Road World Championships cancelled but could be moved

    The 2020 UCI Road World Championships will no longer take place in Switzerland but could be moved elsewhere, it was announced on Wednesday.

    The event was scheduled to take place from September 20 until September 27 in Aigle and Martigny but that was deemed inviable after the Swiss Federal Council maintained a ban on gatherings of over 1,000 people due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

    The UCI stated it would seek an alternative host to ensure the championships still go ahead, with a final decision to be taken by September 1.

    "Our federation, which was greatly looking forward to welcoming the world's best riders to 'its' home, close to its headquarters and its training centre in Aigle, shares the disappointment of the athletes, national teams, organisers and everyone implicated in this exceptional project," the UCI said in a statement.

    "Given the sporting importance of the UCI Road World Championships for cycling, the UCI would like to clarify that it will work towards finding an alternative project to ensure the 2020 edition of the event can take place, with the priority being in Europe and at the dates initially scheduled. It could include all or some of the planned races.

    "The UCI will look for a host city that would be able to provide a route as challenging as that in Aigle-Martigny and which would therefore suit the same type of riders who had initially planned to participate in Switzerland.

    "Conscious that time is of the essence for the athletes, the national federations and all implicated parties, the UCI will communicate more information as soon as possible and will take a final decision by September 1 at the latest."

  • Coronavirus: The Masters to be held behind closed doors in November Coronavirus: The Masters to be held behind closed doors in November

    The Masters will be held behind closed doors in November due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The tournament, which has been held in April every year since 1945, was postponed to November 9-15 due to the threat of COVID-19.

    While the major is still due to take place this year, organisers have said the risks involved in terms of allowing visitors into Augusta are "simply too significant to overcome".

    Ticket holders for 2020 will be guaranteed the same tickets for the tournament next year.

    Augusta chairman Fred Ridley said in a statement: "Since our initial announcement to postpone the 2020 Masters, we have remained committed to a rescheduled tournament in November while continually examining how best to host a global sporting event amid this pandemic.

    "As we have considered the issues facing us, the health and safety of everyone associated with the Masters always has been our first and most important priority.

    "Throughout this process, we have consulted with health officials and a variety of subject matter experts. Ultimately, we determined that the potential risks of welcoming patrons and guests to our grounds in November are simply too significant to overcome.

    "Even in the current circumstances, staging the Masters without patrons is deeply disappointing. The guests who come to Augusta each spring from around the world are a key component to making the tournament so special.

    "Augusta National has the responsibility, however, to understand and accept the challenges associated with this virus and take the necessary precautions to conduct all aspects of the tournament in a safe manner. We look forward to the day when we can welcome all of our patrons back, hopefully in April 2021.

    "We appreciate the support and patience of all those we serve – including the Augusta community, our corporate and broadcast partners and our friends in golf – as we continue to plan for this historic event."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.