'It's simply a bad idea' – UEFA president Ceferin reiterates opposition to biennial World Cup plans

By Sports Desk December 30, 2021

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has reiterated his opposition to FIFA's biennial World Cup plans as he believes the proposal will fail as "it's simply a bad idea".

FIFA, led by chief of global football development Arsene Wenger, has been promoting the idea for the World Cup to shift format and take place every two years.

FIFA reported to its member associations at their global summit on 20 December that the changes would make football $4.4billion richer over the first four-year cycle.

That figure would then climb to $6.6billion, according to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, if each confederation also switches its regional competition to become biennial, while FIFA claimed its members were largely in support of the plans.

But UEFA, along with South America's CONMEBOL, continue in their staunch opposition to the proposed alterations to world football's showpiece event.

"Europe and South America are against [the plan] and those are the only [continents with] World Cup winners in history," Ceferin told reporters at the Expo 2020 Dubai Fair on Thursday.

"The problem is that the World Cup has to be every four years to be interesting.

"Second, if it would be every two years, it would cannibalise women's football because it would be at the same year as the women's football [World Cup', other sports, the Olympic Games - many mistakes.

"It's simply a bad idea and it will not happen because it is a bad idea, not because we are opposing it."

Ceferin's comments come after the two governing bodies clashed ahead of FIFA holding its global summit with national associations earlier in December.

FIFA published results from a study that claimed the majority of football fans would like to see more frequent World Cups. UEFA, however, said an independent survey called proposals "alarming" just hours before.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is also part of a  growing list of opposition, which includes Kylian Mbappe and Robert Lewandowski after the pair raised concerns earlier in the week, all of whom fear the impact of the changes on the world's sporting calendar.

"Why are the Olympic Games every four years? Because it's an event that you have to look forward [to], that you have to wait [for], and you have to enjoy it," Ceferin added.

Related items

  • Xavi: Barcelona must be 'humble' to improve in off-season Xavi: Barcelona must be 'humble' to improve in off-season

    Barcelona boss Xavi asserted the club must be "humble" after they marked the end of the season with a 2-0 loss to Villarreal on Sunday.

    Goals from Alfonso Pedraza and Moi Gomez handed the seventh-placed Villarreal their first LaLiga win at Camp Nou since 2008 and punctuated Barcelona's trophy-less season, finishing 13 points off the title-winning Real Madrid.

    The fact Barca even finished second provided some cause for satisfaction given their start to the season, after winning only four of the opening 13 league games and sitting ninth in November, when Xavi took over from Ronald Koeman.

    The 42-year-old believes, amid an expectant fan base, the time to get to work and transform the squad to his liking has officially come, now Barca have reached the end of the season.

    "I keep the minutes in which people have cheered," Xavi said post-game. "It is normal, the public does not like to lose. But taking stock, we have to be satisfied. We have to be humble and see reality. Now the work of the office begins.

    "We have to change things. We have to opt for titles. We have to change things. We have to improve and strengthen ourselves."

    After only managing Al-Sadd for two years before taking on the coaching role at his former club, Xavi has experienced a baptism by fire upon his return to Europe, with crises gripping his boyhood club both on and off the pitch.

    The Blaugrana have experienced positive and difficult moments in his first coaching role in Europe, defeating Real Madrid 4-0 at the Santiago Bernabeu but also falling meekly in the Europa League at the hands of eventual winners Eintracht Frankfurt.

    On a personal level, Xavi is in a sense satisfied he has aided Barcelona in qualifying for the Champions League and salvaging their season, but is the adamant his squad must improve.

    "I knew that it was coming at a complicated and difficult moment," he said. "We have improved, but not enough. We have played brilliant games, but we have to be more reliable. I am here to add value, now we have to work for next year. We have to be positive.

    "We've saved a season that could have been disastrous. I'm satisfied on a personal level. We came from one of the worst moments in the club's history. A lot of things have to be changed.

    "This season has gone as it has gone. The coach has changed. And now we cannot come second. We have to reinforce ourselves very well. We have to compete. We have to change many things."

  • Neville and Keane left furious after spate of pitch-invasion violence Neville and Keane left furious after spate of pitch-invasion violence

    The increasing violence amid pitch invasions in English football is of great concern to Gary Neville and Roy Keane, who called the culprits "idiots, scumbags" and a "disgrace".

    City won the Premier League – their fourth title in the last five campaigns under Pep Guardiola – in dramatic fashion on the final day of the season on Sunday, coming from 2-0 down to beat Aston Villa 3-2 at the Etihad Stadium.

    However, as has been the case at several grounds across the country in recent weeks, City's win sparked scenes of fans charging onto the pitch at full-time.

    While the majority of the supporters celebrated peacefully, some fans were seen to have approached Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen, who had to be escorted off the pitch by stewards.

    Steven Gerrard subsequently confirmed that his goalkeeper had been "attacked" while City released a statement apologising to Villa and Olsen, promising a full investigation.

    The incident follows on from a Nottingham Forest fan having been jailed for assaulting Sheffield United striker Billy Sharp at the end of a Championship play-off semi-final, while lower down the pyramid, Port Vale fans were involved in an altercation with Swindon Town players.

    On Thursday, Everton supporters ran onto the pitch to celebrate a 3-2 comeback win over Crystal Palace that secured their Premier League status.

    One fan appeared to aggravate Palace boss Patrick Vieira, who seemingly lashed out at the supporter.

    It is a situation that former Manchester United and England defender Gary Neville is extremely worried by.

    "This brilliant last 20 years, or 30 years, where we've brought the fences down in English football and the fans are respected and 99 times out of 100 they don't run onto the pitch because they enjoy the family environment, far more children coming to the game, far more women coming to the game," Neville said on Sky Sports.

    "All of a sudden in this last few weeks, months, not just running on the pitch, which is a problem, but if you're attacking managers and players – what are you doing?

    "Running on the pitch, they've won the league, they're delirious, I get that, but attacking the opposition players on the pitch – where has this come from, why is happening?

    "I've got no idea, it's absolutely ridiculous."

    It was a sentiment echoed by Neville's former Manchested United team-mate Keane, who is concerned by what may come next.

    He said: "A player or a manager is going to be seriously injured. If you're mad enough to punch a player you're going to be mad enough to do something stupid like stab a player.

    "I think people have come back after COVID and forgot how to behave themselves. Idiots, scumbags, disgrace. Absolutely disgraceful."

  • Ten Hag straight down to work at Man Utd as club confirm Monday unveiling Ten Hag straight down to work at Man Utd as club confirm Monday unveiling

    Erik ten Hag is set to outline his Manchester United vision on Monday when he holds his first news conference as Red Devils boss.

    The former Ajax head coach has secured an early release from his contract at the Johan Cruijff ArenA, allowing him to get down to work in his new post.

    A busy summer lies ahead for Ten Hag, with a host of players set to leave Old Trafford after a wretched season for the club.

    Paul Pogba, Edinson Cavani, Juan Mata, Nemanja Matic, Phil Jones and Jesse Lingard look set to depart, while doubts surround others, including Eric Bailly and Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

    A substantial clear-out is likely to be followed by a recruitment drive as Ten Hag looks to build a squad capable of putting up a greater challenge for a Champions League place.

    United finished sixth in the 2021-22 Premier League season, accruing only 58 points, the fewest they have managed in the English top flight since the 1989-90 First Division campaign. They will play in the Europa League next season.

    Ten Hag was at Selhurst Park on Sunday to watch United slump to a 1-0 defeat against Crystal Palace in their final game of the season, refusing to speak to a Sky Sports television reporter after the game when approached outside the ground.

    United said the Dutchman would appear at a 12:00 BST news conference. He will be expected to give his views on United's season and how the club can improve their on-pitch fortunes under his charge.

    The future of Cristiano Ronaldo in United's set-up will also likely be a matter for Ten Hag to address, with the five-time Ballon d'Or winner having a year left on the contract he signed when arriving from Juventus last August. Ronaldo has scored a flurry of goals and reports have suggested Ten Hag sees him continuing to play a crucial role.

    Ten Hag may also be asked about how he sees the role of Ralf Rangnick, with this season's interim head coach having joined the club with a view to taking on a consultancy role for the next two seasons.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.